The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What do you mean' hope not'? His sister is a director at the company (Idox) chosen for the Govt's chosen track/trace app! Who lives in Durham... 

Was 'hope not' too many words? I made a general comment about shaking up the civil service, if proven he or anyone is giving contracts unprofessionally, they should be fired. The civil service is a mess but best leave it as it is then. Happy?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Are you aware of Byline Times? To me they seem pretty good with their USP of fact-based jounalism which avoids the current journalistic fashion for outrage and division to drive clicks

https://bylinetimes.com/about/

But then I think they are left-leaning - hard to tell from my confirmation bias standpoint though. Genuinely interested to have your opinion on them

Never heard of it, interesting concept though fact based journalism ?

Just had a very brief look through the headlines and it does seem to be quite left wing - which in itself isn't a problem if thats what they claim to be and rely on facts rather than excessive opinions or speculation etc.   Thats first glance though, I'll check out a few articles when I've got time later.

23 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Never heard of it, interesting concept though fact based journalism ?

Just had a very brief look through the headlines and it does seem to be quite left wing - which in itself isn't a problem if thats what they claim to be and rely on facts rather than excessive opinions or speculation etc.   Thats first glance though, I'll check out a few articles when I've got time later.

Cheers

Specifically that they have the headings on their website of FACT / ARGUMENT / REPORTAGE seems like a good way for media outlets to group their articles, regardless of bias. If everyone used them, and their commitment to journalistic integrity was nothing more than to accurately classify their articles then that would be a good start I think?

3 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

It would still be pointless going to the town everywhere would be shut apart from a supermarket.

He went to a beauty spot called The Links in Castle Barnard. I'm not sure if you trying to defend him. 

Sith Happens

While I think Cummings should have resigned...is Keir Starmer not being a bit hypocritical demanding he resign having recently promoted Stephen Kinnock who traveled hundreds of miles for a birthday celebration to break lockdown rules?

12 minutes ago, sage said:

He went to a beauty spot called The Links in Castle Barnard. I'm not sure if you trying to defend him. 

I’m not really defending anyone but I am not a hypocrite either and I have often drove up to Monsall Head during the nice weather in April and May and gone for a walk. It was really nice because there was no one else about.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

While I think Cummings should have resigned...is Keir Starmer not being a bit hypocritical demanding he resign having recently promoted Stephen Kinnock who traveled hundreds of miles for a birthday celebration to break lockdown rules?

Stephen Kinnock doesn't rule the country like Cummings does, but I agree it doesn't look good.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

and labour MP Tahir Ali that went to a funeral attended by around a hundred other mourners

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Stephen Kinnock doesn't rule the country like Cummings does, but I agree it doesn't look good.

No I agree that being part of the governing party and therefore making the rules has to be factored in.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I wasn’t aware of Kinnock travelling for a birthday celebration so thanks for bringing that to our attention and I think you ask a fair question.

Showing my ignorance I don’t even know what Kinnock’s position is, I’ll have a look in a second but if he is as high profile to Labour as Cummings is to the Tories then Starmer has probably made a tactical error.

Oh so NOW we have a problem with the press and harassment? Because an arse who thinks himself above you was called an elite arse?

Excuse me whilst I drink a canned mojito on the overground, I’ll just let you get on with the standards you set yourself 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Pearl Ram said:

I wasn’t aware of Kinnock travelling for a birthday celebration so thanks for bringing that to our attention and I think you ask a fair question.

Showing my ignorance I don’t even know what Kinnock’s position is, I’ll have a look in a second but if he is as high profile to Labour as Cummings is to the Tories then Starmer has probably made a tactical error.

Shadow Minister in Foreign Affairs I believe.

Just for the record I don't think Kinnock should be sacked from that post or anything, he was promoted after the incident anyway when it was common knowledge. Just playing devils advocate and questioning if someone who has promoted someone should really be making a big thing about this incident.

Many people will have done what Kinnock did, he posted an image on Twitter and told by the Police it was the wrong thing to do. He did then go on and say he was delivering essential supplies, he may well have been although many people will have delivered essential supplies to relatives and left them on the door step and not stop, and you may question if someone like Lord Kinnock is not in a position to have his own supplies delivered.

19 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Personally I think that any politician who has been caught breaking or flouting the lockdown rules we are all being expected to adhere to should resign. It should be a matter of principle

Meanwhile - the door is now open for 140,000 people who have been fined for breaking lockdown rules to appeal against the fine

Archived