The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Half and half scarves have somehow found their way into politics. But in all seriousness, this is actually quite a touching gesture.

Such a shame they took us for Bamfords at every single negotiation in the 30 years. 

At least they now acknowledge the contribution we have made to making Europe something to be proud of. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Norman said:

Such a shame they took us for Bamfords at every single negotiation in the 30 years. 

At least they now acknowledge the contribution we have made to making Europe something to be proud of. 

The Empire strikes back.  Oh poo never meant to mention it honestly. 

I'd assume we probably needed new 50p pieces minted anyway, so probably not a massive extra cost tbf.

Just think, we're less than a year away from waving goodbye to remote unelected representatives, and can welcome in a new era of transparency by holding our own politicians to account.

Like Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith, for example.

50 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'd assume we probably needed new 50p pieces minted anyway, so probably not a massive extra cost tbf.

Just think, we're less than a year away from waving goodbye to remote unelected representatives, and can welcome in a new era of transparency by holding our own politicians to account.

Like Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith, for example.

Yep even Gove as stated that MPs will have to up their game. As they will no longer be able blame any failings are down to the EU. Will be interesting to see who they will now try to pass the blame on to, or if they do actually put their hand up and take responsibility when something goes tits up.

Before the last election, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Sajid Javid stated that austerity was over and the government had more money available for them to spend. So why his he along with his boss Prime Minister Johnson ordering all cabinet ministers to reduce their department's budgets by 5%.

Doesn't sound much like the end of austerity. Especially now, as the country enters a wonderful period of peace, prosperity and friendship.

55 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Before the last election, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Sajid Javid stated that austerity was over and the government had more money available for them to spend. So why his he along with his boss Prime Minister Johnson ordering all cabinet ministers to reduce their department's budgets by 5%.

Doesn't sound much like the end of austerity. Especially now, as the country enters a wonderful period of peace, prosperity and friendship.

Maybe they are freeing up some money to pay for free internet for the whole country ?

16 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:
1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

opposition that didn't get elected is basically irrelevant to the point 1of4 was trying to make. A fair question was asked.

It wasn’t really a question more a childish swipe, ending with a hint of sarcasm......my response was just full on sarcasm reminding him of the sort of outrageously stupid promises the Liebour party put forward 

18 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

It wasn’t really a question more a childish swipe, ending with a hint of sarcasm......my response was just full on sarcasm reminding him of the sort of outrageously stupid promises the Liebour party put forward 

The promises Labour put forward are irrelevant though because they are not in government. The promises our actual government put forward are not irrelevant and questions should be asked if they appear to be unwilling or unable to fulfil them.

56 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

The Conservatives, that have been elected, have broken it's pledges one month after being elected but that's ok because you don't think Labour, that haven't been elected, wouldn't have been able to deliver free Internet to everyone.

Am I missing something here? 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Sounds like good financial management to me. I'm not surprised it seems an alien concept to our left leaning brethren.

There's always a spending review with any new government & asking every department to justify their spending (especially on old projects which haven't produced the results expected).

It's clearing the decks before the budget in March.

36 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

No the ending was full on sarcasm. As for the first part  that was a genuine question about austerity, is it or is it not over.

As for what the Labour Party said before the election, is now irrelevant, they lost.

It's this present government that is accountable for what it said previously and what it does now that as to be held up to scrutiny.

12 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Sounds like good financial management to me. I'm not surprised it seems an alien concept to our left leaning brethren.

There's always a spending review with any new government & asking every department to justify their spending (especially on old projects which haven't produced the results expected).

Why is there a need for a spending review. This is not a new government, it's the same one that held office prior to the election.

30 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

So why not say that before the election? Can't imagine why he would avoid the truth.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

The Conservatives, that have been elected, have broken it's pledges one month after being elected but that's ok because you don't think Labour, that haven't been elected, wouldn't have been able to deliver free Internet to everyone.

Am I missing something here? 

Ok so someone puts a post up basically highlighting that this government has broken its pledge on spending and that all government departments have to make 5% cuts, so the government told a lie just a month after being elected.....I don’t know the answer, but I find it funny to think that if labour got in, would 1 month later people on here be arguing that they were still paying for the internet......all political parties tell porkies, especially during elections..... but Corbyns lies/pledges were totally ducking bonkers

2 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Ok so someone puts a post up basically highlighting that this government has broken its pledge on spending and that all government departments have to make 5% cuts so the government told a lie just a month after being elected.....I don’t know the answer, but I find it funny to think that if labour got in, would 1 month later people on here be arguing that they were still paying for the internet......all political parties tell porkies, especially during elections..... but Corbyns lies/pledges were totally ducking bonkers

I don't think the justification for it should ever be 'everyone does it'. I couldn't care less. It's neither here nor there what the opposition would have said if in power. He said it, he should be scrutinised because he is spending our money and he should be held to account.

He needs to explain what has changed since he said what he did and why he now needs to do the opposite of what he said he would. 

One can only imagine the reaction if within a month of coming to power Jeremy "National Security Threat" Corbyn had decided to allow Huawei to be involved in building the 5G network, nationalised a rail service, taken a plane from London to Cardiff instead of a train and broken a fundamental promise on spending 

It's almost like no one gives a damn when it's Tories doing it. There has to be a word for that?

Archived