The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The Tory party has done its job of retaining power by provoking and exploiting the anger and resentment of the disaffected working classes towards the elites, the foreigners and all the others they blame for wrecking their lives, and it is now getting back to its usual job of pursuing policies aimed at further enriching the rich.

The Tories have been cutting public services ever since Margaret Thatcher and they are not going to stop now. The lean state is one of the most important elements of their ideology. How on Earth could anybody believe for one second that they were going to reverse the austerity policies they have been followig for decades and start to increase public spending?

It will be interesting to see what happens if the EU does eventually end up imposing tariffs and export quotas and belts have to be tightened yet again because of a drop in tax revenues. They will probably blame Labour for having been too useless to keep Britain in the EU.

Which years have their been cuts to public spending under a Tory government? Do you want a clue?

image.png.9ba8ed3d8b6bf6bcee283c99dea97717.png

58 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Which years have their been cuts to public spending under a Tory government? Do you want a clue?

image.png.9ba8ed3d8b6bf6bcee283c99dea97717.png

1574292031_Publicspending.JPG.7940cb18a488dc0e951af5f930497531.JPG

Public spending will always increase in absolute terms as the result of inflation, as your curve shows, but the Tories have always cut spending as a proportion of GDP. This has always been their stated intent, because they have always wanted to reduce the role of the state and to transfer public property into private pockets. Why should they stop now? Why should anyone believe Boris Johnson, who is a proven liar, or the post-truth, populist Conservative Party?

I expect GDP to fall sharply after Brexit, and I expect the pattern shown in the above curve to continue.

8 hours ago, rynny said:

The Conservatives, that have been elected, have broken it's pledges one month after being elected but that's ok because you don't think Labour, that haven't been elected, wouldn't have been able to deliver free Internet to everyone.

Am I missing something here? 

Getting the bad news out before Jan 31st so it's still the EUs fault. 

Just wait till we take back control and can boot the lying shysters out.....

?

Every single department has had its budget for day to day spending increased at least in line with inflation.

Public spending has always increased in line with inflation, even under Thatcher. You have to spend more just to stand still.  How disingenuous can you get.

He's just having a laugh at the mugs in Bolsover and Middlesbrough who really believed that he was going to put an end to austerity.

Edit: public spending has always increased in absolute terms as the result of inflation, not necessarily in line with inflation

Who will win this particular battle then? Us or one of the most powerful nations on the planet? This will be one of many and the concessions will almost entirely go one way.

Project fear innit.

"Brexit: US insists chlorinated chicken must be on menu in any UK trade agreement"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-chlorinated-chicken-us-trade-deal-boris-johnson-pompeo-trump-a9310081.html

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Who will win this particular battle then? Us or one of the most powerful nations on the planet? This will be one of many and the concessions will almost entirely go one way.

Project fear innit.

"Brexit: US insists chlorinated chicken must be on menu in any UK trade agreement"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-chlorinated-chicken-us-trade-deal-boris-johnson-pompeo-trump-a9310081.html

And hormone-treated beef too. At least the Brexiters will enjoy growing a pair of tits for Queen and country!

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Project fear innit.

Where does it say I have to buy it?

27 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It doesn't but this sort of thing is an indicator of the reality of what our trade negotiations will look like. We tell the US that we dont want something and we end up with it anyway. So much for being in control of things.

Phew, I had Angry Bird out in the kitchen clearing out space in the freezer for my new chicken and beef that we had to buy. So glad that’s clear. So these deals will still be at the mercy of market forces and those bad Americans will have to actually sell us things we want? 

14 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Phew, I had Angry Bird out in the kitchen clearing out space in the freezer for my new chicken and beef that we had to buy. So glad that’s clear. So these deals will still be at the mercy of market forces and those bad Americans will have to actually sell us things we want? 

We have told them we dont want it. They are telling us we will have it anyway.

20 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

2033121248_Chlorineanalyser.JPG.39ab670da0fd61b1b1f0c2001062fb3f.JPG

You don't always know what you're buying. Made in Britain.

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We have told them we dont want it. They are telling us we will have it anyway.

So they keep sending it and nobody buys it.. Hmm do you think those big supermarket chains will keep ordering stuff that does not sell? Last time I looked, they cannot make you buy anything you don’t want to.. Just don’t buy the ducking stuff, your worrying about nothing.

13 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

So they keep sending it and nobody buys it.. Hmm do you think those big supermarket chains will keep ordering stuff that does not sell? Last time I looked, they cannot make you buy anything you don’t want to.. Just don’t buy the ducking stuff, your worrying about nothing.

Good call. Thank god that the Great British public will never buy things that aren't good for them. It called freedom. Freedom too choose. Freedom to buy dodgy food produce if you lose your job thanks to Brexit, and can only afford sub-standard produce.

17 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Good call. Thank god that the Great British public will never buy things that aren't good for them. It called freedom. Freedom too choose. Freedom to buy dodgy food produce if you lose your job thanks to Brexit, and can only afford sub-standard produce.

So this chicken will be so cheap then? Considerably cheaper than Costco, Aldi, Lidl etc.. FFS you lot are desperate for an angle. It’s just embarrassing reading some of this stuff now.

21 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You have so much confidence in the people you seem so keen to be showing to protect. 

38 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

21 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

How about if you did not know about it ?

A good friend died of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy aka mad cow disease, she never set out to buy some dodgy burgers but very loose legislation allowing body parts to be used in the food chain led to that mess. Worth remembering.

Archived