The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

11 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't think the justification for it should ever be 'everyone does it'. I couldn't care less. It's neither here nor there what the opposition would have said if in power. He said it, he should be scrutinised because he is spending our money and he should be held to account.

He needs to explain what has changed since he said what he did and why he now needs to do the opposite of what he said he would. 

Your right and it’s down to the opposition to scrutinise and ask those questions and I’m sure Javid  won’t justify with the same response a factory worker from up north has done......there will be plenty of things for the opposition to scrutinise in the next 4 years but 1 pledge this government has kept was to be out of the EU on the 31st January 2020, and the have stuck to that.....Happy Brexit Eve x

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BriggRam said:

It wasn’t really a question more a childish swipe, ending with a hint of sarcasm......my response was just full on sarcasm reminding him of the sort of outrageously stupid promises the Liebour party put forward 

Labour are now a broken force due to JC's shocking comms and leadership. I am a lifetime Labour supporter but the whole Momentum/JC thing episode has been awful. 

Didn't think they'd get elected in a million years.

So any policy ideas they had are irrelevant.

But … Bojo promised  much, and it is now ALL ON HIM …….. he stated Austerity was over repeatedly, and indicated that cash would be spent.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Why is there a need for a spending review. This is not a new government, it's the same one that held office prior to the election.

There is always a spending review with a new government - and it is a new government, voted in on a new manifesto etc

46 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So why not say that before the election? Can't imagine why he would avoid the truth.

Nothing has been cut from budgets - and (based on spending pledges for the election) budgets are going to go up in March, not down.

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

One can only imagine the reaction if within a month of coming to power Jeremy "National Security Threat" Corbyn had decided to allow Huawei to be involved in building the 5G network, nationalised a rail service, taken a plane from London to Cardiff instead of a train and broken a fundamental promise on spending 

It's almost like no one gives a damn when it's Tories doing it. There has to be a word for that?

I can think of lots of words but very few of them would make it past the filter on this forum. 

11 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

and (based on spending pledges for the election) budgets are going to go up in March, not down.

Yeah - that fundamentally relies on the party making the pledges to not be helmed by a proven liar. You can forgive people being sceptical surely?

If they break those spending pledge in the budget, will you call them out, or will you seek other excuses ("economic headwinds", "tough decisions", "brexit uncertainty"etc)?

11 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Your right and it’s down to the opposition to scrutinise and ask those questions and I’m sure Javid  won’t justify with the same response a factory worker from up north has done......there will be plenty of things for the opposition to scrutinise in the next 4 years but 1 pledge this government has kept was to be out of the EU on the 31st January 2020, and the have stuck to that.....Happy Brexit Eve x

We aren't out of the EU until the transition period is over. Only then can we begin to judge the true impact. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Labour are now a broken force due to JC's shocking comms and leadership. I am a lifetime Labour supporter but the whole Momentum/JC thing episode has been awful. 

Didn't think they'd get elected in a million years.

So any policy ideas they had are irrelevant.

But … Bojo promised  much, and it is now ALL ON HIM …….. he stated Austerity was over repeatedly, and indicated that cash would be spent.

Good post Sir, I’m not a bloody Tory, this election was only the first time I have ever voted in a general election, I’ve always been in the “ I don’t trust any 1 of the duckers mindset) I voted this time for 2 reasons, to get out of the EU and because this Labour Party is full of and lead by idiots

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Before the last election, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Sajid Javid stated that austerity was over and the government had more money available for them to spend. So why his he along with his boss Prime Minister Johnson ordering all cabinet ministers to reduce their department's budgets by 5%.

Doesn't sound much like the end of austerity. Especially now, as the country enters a wonderful period of peace, prosperity and friendship.

The headline makes it seem worse than it actually is. From what I've read, cabinet ministers need to identify possible cuts and to name projects which could be cut. Some of those cuts won't happen. 
The purpose of those possible cuts have been reasoned by " to free up money to invest in [NHS, crime and under performing regions]". It's feasible that overall spend will increase.

Why would you not reduce spend on something if it's more urgently required elsewhere?

20 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yeah - that fundamentally relies on the party making the pledges to not be helmed by a proven liar. You can forgive people being sceptical surely?

If they break those spending pledge in the budget, will you call them out, or will you seek other excuses ("economic headwinds", "tough decisions", "brexit uncertainty"etc)?

People just seem to swallow what the Tories give them without question. They are certainly not held up to scrutiny by the media in the same way others are. Nationalisation? No problem. Spending cuts? Get em while they're hot. Unelected politicians? Two for one in our cabinet.

Bamfords.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Absolutely. I'm no fan of Boris.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The headline makes it seem worse than it actually is. From what I've read, cabinet ministers need to identify possible cuts and to name projects which could be cut. Some of those cuts won't happen. 
The purpose of those possible cuts have been reasoned by " to free up money to invest in [NHS, crime and under performing regions]". It's feasible that overall spend will increase.

Why would you not reduce spend on something if it's more urgently required elsewhere?

Excellent answer Sir.

After 10 years of austerity and the havoc that has reaped on the poorest and most vulnerable members of society, we now hear that the blond blowhard is reneging on promises to end austerity measures. Not only is there apparently no additional funding but budgets are to be cut by a further 5%. 

The reaction? Liebour, free internet, good housekeeping...

If you voted Tory, what they do and don't deliver over the course of this next government it's on you and the party you elected. I really hope your confidence is repaid and that we are not going to see things get even harder for those living their lives around or below the poverty line, but this does not augur well, whatever spin you try to place upon it.

The Tory party has done its job of retaining power by provoking and exploiting the anger and resentment of the disaffected working classes towards the elites, the foreigners and all the others they blame for wrecking their lives, and it is now getting back to its usual job of pursuing policies aimed at further enriching the rich.

The Tories have been cutting public services ever since Margaret Thatcher and they are not going to stop now. The lean state is one of the most important elements of their ideology. How on Earth could anybody believe for one second that they were going to reverse the austerity policies they have been followig for decades and start to increase public spending?

It will be interesting to see what happens if the EU does eventually end up imposing tariffs and export quotas and belts have to be tightened yet again because of a drop in tax revenues. They will probably blame Labour for having been too useless to keep Britain in the EU.

3 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The Tory party has done its job of retaining power by provoking and exploiting the anger and resentment of the disaffected working classes

Corbyn and his cronies set themselves up for the backlash from the working classes.......and the prat is still labours leader ???

4 hours ago, BriggRam said:

Transition blah blah, we’re out mate ???

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The UK leaves the EU at 11pm on 31st January. It then enters an 11 month transition.

Tomorrow at 11pm the UK cease to be members of the EU. They will still have to comply with EU regulations during the transition period.. We will only have totally left the EU, once we have signed a trade deal with the EU, which will immediately stop the transition period. Or at midnight at the end of 2020, with or without a trade deal.

49 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Tomorrow at 11pm the UK cease to be members of the EU. They will still have to comply with EU regulations during the transition period.. We will only have totally left the EU, once we have signed a trade deal with the EU, which will immediately stop the transition period. Or at midnight at the end of 2020, with or without a trade deal.

49 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Tomorrow at 11pm the UK cease to be members of the EU.

That’s the only bit I’m interested in ??????

59 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Thanks for confirming we leave at the EU tomorrow.

Archived