The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

24 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Is it just me that thinks the proms is a bunch of flag waving poxy nonsense?

This is coming from a guy that served in the armed forces and considers wearing the Union Jack on my uniform for the first time one of the proudest moments of my life. I want to love Great Britain, I really do. But things like Brexit and a massively overblown sense of our own importance is making it really difficult for me to do so like I once did.

I once made the mistake of going to Trafalgar Square on New Year's Eve with my mate Olu from Reading (whose parents hail from Nigeria). That is the night when people drape themselves in the Union Jack and throw themselves into the fountains.

I have never encountered such vile, nasty, aggressive, in your face racism as on that night. Ducking n-word was quite tame compared to the other insults he had to endure.

Please do yourselves a favour and keep away from people draped in the Union Jack. I avoid them like the plague.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I once made the mistake of going to Trafalgar Square on New Year's Eve with my mate Olu from Reading (whose parents hail from Nigeria). That is the night when people drape themselves in the Union Jack and throw themselves into the fountains.

I have never encountered such vile, nasty, aggressive, in your face racism as on that night. Ducking n-word was quite tame compared to the other insults he had to endure.

Please do yourselves a favour and keep away from people draped in the Union Jack. I avoid them like the plague.

The mistake you make is classing everybody the same way .

58 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Is it just me that thinks the proms is a bunch of flag waving poxy nonsense?

This is coming from a guy that served in the armed forces and considers wearing the Union Jack on my uniform for the first time one of the proudest moments of my life. I want to love Great Britain, I really do. But things like Brexit and a massively overblown sense of our own importance is making it really difficult for me to do so like I once did.

We are a lot less popular than we think. Most EU folks i talk to don't give a sausage. They talk about BREXIT like we have decided to get our bawlocks tattooed - amused but a little concerned.

We are also a lot yes powerful than we think. Our armed forces are increasingly miniscule (18 serious warships .... haven't had that few since King Alfred), and can't really operate unless covered by huge US air cover.  What happened in Salisbury was basically a pants down spanking in the supermarket security and defence wise, considering the Plain is surrounded by our army bases to the ying yang. The response of May/Johnson to Putin has essentially been ; 'yeah, and mind you don't do it again.' 

I love our country - Great Britain - very much. But we do seem to be afflicted right now by a Billy Bullshot obese goober draped in a Union flag getting weepy over blue sepia spitfires. I think this will pass.

On the subject of the Last Night of the Proms ... lay off it, its the only night of the year Tories can achieve a boner. Bless 'em. ?

The thing about US chlorinated chicken is that it’s not actually about the chlorinated chicken

It’s just being used as an example of where we will be forced to accept goods from the US that do not meet the current safety/food standards that we enjoy as part of the EU.

Yes, you could argue that some of the standards are OTT, but it’s the principle. Did anyone really vote Brexit because they wanted to be free to buy substandard stuff?

Here is a nice list of food stuff/chemicals/growth hormones that are banned in the EU but subject to no usage and/or labelling restrictions in the US

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2019/01/03/banned-foods

Don’t kid yourself that  a fabled US trade deal won’t involve us accepting these lower standards

Are people so obsessed with the idea of Brexit that they are happy to sacrifice the health and safety of themselves and their families? Apparently so

Let’s get Brexit done – not long to go now! Whooooo

1 hour ago, dog said:

Gloating doesn't strike me as a particularly British thing to do.

I found that people gloat when they think they have won something that others haven't got. But haven't we all been told that everyone will be winners, because the country will be more prosperous than its every been.

Still not sure what's being won at 11pm tonight, when we terminate ou membership from the EU.

39 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Done London a few times on NYE and never seen anything like that. London is the most multi cultural place I have ever visited. Not calling you a liar as there will always be incidents but I really struggle with that post.

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Done London a few times on NYE and never seen anything like that. London is the most multi cultural place I have ever visited. Not calling you a liar as there will always be incidents but I really struggle with that post.

It was New Year 1982, a long time ago. I am not suggesting by any means that everyone who goes to an England football match with a flag is an out and out racist, but it was a real eye opener and the only time I have experienced anything bordering on racist violence.

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Blimey my net is full today.. I am pretty sure I am running close to some fishing quotas. 

Moan ,moan moan AR I'll tell you what most of the so called social barriers and all the rest of the poo they come out with are in their heads or part of their political dogma .

Such a load of negative thinking people all together under one banner if the EU'S so good feck off and live there. Some lovely countries and people over there I just can't stick the political experiment .

28 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

It was New Year 1982, a long time ago. I am not suggesting by any means that everyone who goes to an England football match with a flag is an out and out racist, but it was a real eye opener and the only time I have experienced anything bordering on racist violence.

You could have added that bit of context to your original post.. 

Glad to see it's all nearly done and dusted in any case.

I'm a leaver and proud of it so I'm pleased with the outcome but I recognize that not everyone feels the same and for some it's a sad time.

However we have little choice but to come together now and make the best of the hand we have been dealt,however we voted in the referendum.

Here's to the future,whatever it may bring.

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm a leaver and proud of it so I'm pleased with the outcome but I recognize that not everyone feels the same and for some it's a sad time.

However we have little choice but to come together now and make the best of the hand we have been dealt,however we voted in the referendum.

Were that to be true........

Plenty enough ambiguity to keep the debates raging for a while yet  - the difficult choices re trade-offs  haven't yet started.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's not going to be done and dusted for years ?

Archived