The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

44 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Obviously you are glad we are leaving @Angry Ram, but I don't think you are a fundamentalist "leave at all costs" Brexiteer. Do you think this government has the competency to deliver something good for Britain?

I was more positive when May's cabinet was in charge, but although they mostly all voted for her deal, the ERG managed to block her, force her out then take over.

I'm worried now we have some very poor politicians in charge relative to previous cabinets and the only plan we seem to have heard about the detail-lite slogan of "get brexit done".

Can you give me any hope that they might know what they are doing?

Not read some of the earlier posts, regarding the type of brexit people voted for, then.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Obviously you are glad we are leaving @Angry Ram, but I don't think you are a fundamentalist "leave at all costs" Brexiteer. Do you think this government has the competency to deliver something good for Britain?

I was more positive when May's cabinet was in charge, but although they mostly all voted for her deal, the ERG managed to block her, force her out then take over.

I'm worried now we have some very poor politicians in charge relative to previous cabinets and the only plan we seem to have heard about the detail-lite slogan of "get brexit done".

Can you give me any hope that they might know what they are doing?

If it starts to go pear shaped I will pop down and sort it out. Jobs a goodun. ?

Boris will be fine.. In all honesty whatever we say, you won’t take it on board. All that has been done to death.

48 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

If it starts to go pear shaped I will pop down and sort it out. Jobs a goodun. ?

Boris will be fine.. In all honesty whatever we say, you won’t take it on board. All that has been done to death.

I don't think it has been to done to death actually. I'm pretty unsure what the plans are and don't think the current ruling regime has ever told us, minus get Brexit done.

Either the plan is simple and we be carried out easily by average politicians.

Or the plan is far from complex and the types of ex-journos and fringe backbenchers in power will really struggle.

23 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

So stupid to celebrate leaving as though we have won some sort of victory vs an evil enemy. Even if you see Brexit as that, it's hardly a way to start to build things back together.

"Let the healing begin" yeah right.

It’s a deliberately antagonistic move on behalf of the government. Regardless of anything, it’s still an emotive issue which splits the nation near enough 50/50 – so minting celebratory coins just seems like a petty attempt to rub half the countries nose in the situation. Even more of an obvious attempt at WUM’ing with the inscription being so stupid.

Not even sure why we’re supposed to celebrate 31st Jan, when nothing tangible changes on that date. We’re still fully aligned with everything. The time of reckoning will be the end of the year when the transition period ends and we get to see how seamless the new world is…

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

31st Jan, when nothing tangible changes on that date. We’re still fully aligned with everything. The time of reckoning will be the end of the year when the transition period ends and we get to see how seamless the new world is…

That wonderful eleven month transition period when all those trade deals are going to be done.

So will it be the EU or the USA that are the first to offer us a good deal. Importantly will these deals be a good deal for the UK or a better deal for the the EU or USA.

Just as importantly who ever of the two we do sign a deal with, will mean it will be harder for us to complete a deal with the other, good or bad.

15 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

It’s a deliberately antagonistic move on behalf of the government. Regardless of anything, it’s still an emotive issue which splits the nation near enough 50/50 – so minting celebratory coins just seems like a petty attempt to rub half the countries nose in the situation. Even more of an obvious attempt at WUM’ing with the inscription being so stupid.

Not even sure why we’re supposed to celebrate 31st Jan, when nothing tangible changes on that date. We’re still fully aligned with everything. The time of reckoning will be the end of the year when the transition period ends and we get to see how seamless the new world is…

What total drivel. Was it a "deliberately antagonistic move" to mint a Joining the EEC coin in 1973? Or to celebrate the single market in 1992? Of course it's right to have a coin to also mark leaving both these things. 

Never mind coronavirus; you're dangerously close to developing Brexit Derangement Syndrome. It's just a coin marking another stage in our history, and with a fitting inscription that EVERYONE should be able to get behind. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

What total drivel. Was it a "deliberately antagonistic move" to mint a Joining the EEC coin in 1973? Or to celebrate the single market in 1992? Of course it's right to have a coin to also mark leaving both these things. 

Never mind coronavirus; you're dangerously close to developing Brexit Derangement Syndrome. It's just a coin marking another stage in our history, and with a fitting inscription that EVERYONE should be able to get behind. 

CS: "You are deranged and talking total drivel"

Also CS: "LET'S ALL GET BEHIND A COIN!"

?

32 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

?

I never said anything about getting behind a coin. I said let's all agree with the sentiment "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations". 

You're the one obsessing over a 50p.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's just a coin marking another stage in our history, and with a fitting inscription that EVERYONE should be able to get behind. 

I really can't get my head around the idea that Mark Francois and his ilk are suddenly going to become friends to all peoples. 

Can we also have a be nice to Forest fans coin while we are about it.

28 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I never said anything about getting behind a coin. I said let's all agree with the sentiment "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations". 

You're the one obsessing over a 50p.

Q: "I've lost my job due to Brexit"

A: "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations."

I thought we were leaving because of other nations? That we were the better than them? They should be begging us to do trade with then.

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I thought we were leaving because of other nations? That we were the better than them? They should be begging us to do trade with then.

We've lost 750 million pounds a month due to ridiculous delays

We've taken 4 years for democracy to go through

Relations with the EU have soured as a direct result of the struggles to get a country to accept a result and get behind the country and its decision

Wahhhhh

Chlorinated Corbyns

Wahhhhh

50p coins. 

Pathetic. 

47 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I really can't get my head around the idea that Mark Francois and his ilk are suddenly going to become friends to all peoples. 

Can we also have a be nice to Forest fans coin while we are about it.

Instead of being contained within "Fortress Europe" with its protectionist economic policies and racist immigration policies, a significant point of Brexit is to be global-facing, a force for good on the world stage. Embracing British and European values while eschewing EU ones. 

43 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Isn't it hilarious that now Project Fear has failed and we're leaving on Friday, all the economic forecasts have the UK as the highest growth country in the G7 for the next two years? 

Just goes to show, as I've said before, that economic forecasts aren't worth the paper they're printed on and, as academic research has demonstrated, are no better than chance. But we have the lowest unemployment since the early 1970s, and I thought even arch remoaners had given up on the "you'll lose your job if we leave" threats. As well as "we won't have any sandwiches to eat and will run out of water". Apparently I was wrong. 

The changing global technological economy will see some jobs lost and others created as we head into what could be a bright future. This will have massively more impact on UK jobs than Brexit. 

"Better than other nations?" It's the EU that works actively to keep black people out (have you seen the EU Parliament?). Presumably because it thinks white EU nations are better than the rest. Thank goodness we're leaving and will no longer have to contribute our share to African warlords to maintain EU borders. 

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

?

Ok if it helps send me your 50 pence Brexit coin I will send you 30 pence back  and tell you how to spend it, you can then pretend we are still in the EU.

4 minutes ago, cstand said:

Ok if it helps send me your 50 pence Brexit coin I will send you 30 pence back  and tell you how to spend it, you can then pretend we are still in the EU.

I know it's a joke, but actually a pretty good allegory for numb-nutted wrong-headedness of Brexit

A second class stamp is 56p +50p means It'd cost me £1.06 to send it to you.

You'd send me 30p back meaning I'd be 86p worse off through the transaction

However - you'd have to spend 56p on a stamp to send me 30p in return. Costing you 86p.

So even though you get to keep the 50p, you'd still be 36p worse off through the transaction

But hey - LET'S GET BEHIND THE MESSAGE ON THE COIN!

That'll work

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

I'm loving some of these desperate remainer posts. Still clinging at straws. Now stressing about a bloody coin. 

Stressing? I'm laughing cos it's so stupid.

Even the most knuckle-draggiest of Brexiteers would be hard pushed to argue that we wouldn't all be better off it we hadn't wasted a load of money on minting a "special coin"?

What financial benefit does a "special coin" bring to the country right now?

I mean - we can argue about trade deals and EU contributions, but not a lump of metal

Archived