The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Stressing? I'm laughing cos it's so stupid.

Even the most knuckle-draggiest of Brexiteers would be hard pushed to argue that we wouldn't all be better off it we hadn't wasted a load of money on minting a "special coin"?

What financial benefit does a "special coin" bring to the country right now?

I mean - we can argue about trade deals and EU contributions, but not a lump of metal

Knuckle dragger here. ?

You lot wasted millions delaying this and now spitting the dummy over a coin. 
Was it not you that brought up the ‘lump of metal’?

Its a momentous day and pretty significant in our countries history. Suck it up. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Even the most knuckle-draggiest of Brexiteers would be hard pushed to argue that we wouldn't all be better off it we hadn't wasted a load of money on minting a "special coin"?

I mean - we can argue about trade deals and EU contributions, but not a lump of metal

How much money was wasted by pointlessly delaying Brexit? 

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I know it's a joke, but actually a pretty good allegory for numb-nutted wrong-headedness of Brexit

A second class stamp is 56p +50p means It'd cost me £1.06 to send it to you.

You'd send me 30p back meaning I'd be 86p worse off through the transaction

However - you'd have to spend 56p on a stamp to send me 30p in return. Costing you 86p.

So even though you get to keep the 50p, you'd still be 36p worse off through the transaction

I think your allegory is not far off how the EU works:

We send a pound, they send a few pence back with instructions on how to spend it. The rest they spend on figuring out how to limit what they give us back and watching that we don't break their rules. Of course they actually spend way more than that but hide the true cost somewhere where the accountants can't find it.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You mean by Johnson and his ERG backers? We would have "got it done" ages ago if it hadn't been for them, but that has been airbrushed from history.

Of course, it was only the ERG and Johnson delaying Brexit and the other side played no part in it at all. 

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You mean by Johnson and his ERG backers? We would have "got it done" ages ago if it hadn't been for them, but that has been airbrushed from history.

And the laugh of it is, they were always transparent, not like the other side of the benches.  In a perverse way, all the stalling got rid of a weaker May deal and made it a harder Brexit. Corbyn and his lapdogs really are incompetent. They actually gave the ERG what they wanted with all their fence sitting. Brilliant stuff.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Of course, it was only the ERG and Johnson delaying Brexit and the other side played no part in it at all. 

The votes from Johnson and the ERG lost May's vote multiple times. The Tory remainers voted for it.

They got May kicked out, replaced her with Johnson, then pretty much voted for May's deal again, but shoved N Ireland under a bus.

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

And the laugh of it is, they were always transparent, not like the other side of the benches.  In a perverse way, all the stalling got rid of a weaker May deal and made it a harder Brexit. Corbyn and his lapdogs really are incompetent. They actually gave the ERG what they wanted with all their fence sitting. Brilliant stuff.

All true. But no one can say that the ERG and Johnson haven't cost us loads of money in delaying Brexit. Let the healing begin.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

The votes from Johnson and the ERG lost May's vote multiple times. The Tory remainers voted for it.

They got May kicked out, replaced her with Johnson, then pretty much voted for May's deal again, but shoved N Ireland under a bus.

To be honest, my initial comment was more of a dig at the remain side anyway, May was a remainer and should never have been in charge of negotiating a deal anyway. The fact that the Tory remainers were happy to go for it indicates it probably wasn't a very good deal. So much time and money would have been saved if it hadn't had two years of disingenuous negotiations to begin it.

28 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Knuckle dragger here. ?

You lot wasted millions delaying this and now spitting the dummy over a coin

Well at least you're honest that it's an unjustifiable waste of money, and your only defence is whataboutery aimed at something I never even mentioned (and agree with - that was a waste of money too!)

30 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Was it not you that brought up the ‘lump of metal’?

Nope . @1of4 brought it up.

Then @ariotofmyown had his say, then @A Ram for All Seasons made a comment, then @AndyinLiverpool too

It was over 24 hours before I mentioned it at all, but don't let facts stand in your way. I suppose it's fake news or something

35 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Its a momentous day and pretty significant in our countries history.

It's not really though is it - the momentous day is 31st December when the transition period ends and we're finally on our own. Nothing tangible happens on Friday apart from a few half-hearted erections in the pants of the likes of Mark Francois and his gammon-brethren

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's not really though is it - the momentous day is 31st December when the transition period ends and we're finally on our own. Nothing tangible happens on Friday apart from a few half-hearted erections in the pants of the likes of Mark Francois and his gammon-brethren

As the 31st December is the end of the transition period, there must be a start.... Oh that's surprisingly 31st January ("the day nothing happens").

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

As the 31st December is the end of the transition period, there must be a start.... Oh that's surprisingly 31st January ("the day nothing happens").

It's bad form or ignorance to misquote another poster in a way that fundamentally changes the meaning of what they originally wrote

I said "nothing tangible happens". And I'm correct.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yeah, because there is no money to be made on collecting coins. Not like the Royal Mint makes any money from it either. 

What disadvantages does a piece of metal bring. None that I can think of. 

32 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Well at least you're honest that it's an unjustifiable waste of money, and your only defence is whataboutery aimed at something I never even mentioned (and agree with - that was a waste of money too!)

Then @ariotofmyown had his say, then @A Ram for All Seasons made a comment, then @AndyinLiverpool too

It was over 24 hours before I mentioned it at all,

Erm, but we all think and say exactly the same thing so why bother differentiating between us. Group think in our own echo chamber. I am you. You are we.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

o be global-facing, a force for good on the world stage

I really hope it all comes good, I really do.

We are already a force for good on the global stage and I hope it continues.

Just hope we don't become the sad little kid in the playground who doesn't wear socks, has no mates, and a continually running nose.

But the 50p has gone sideways whatever - No Oxford comma. I guess I should be impressed they spelt prosperity correctly.

4 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

CS: "You are deranged and talking total drivel"

Also CS: "LET'S ALL GET BEHIND A COIN!"

?

Take a breath @SchtivePesley

Relax in the knowledge that every day that includes bad economic news going forward under the Bojo kingship will be 'Told You So' Day... let the Leave folks enjoy the end of the week in peace.

I am at the point now where I couldn't care less.

1 minute ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Relax in the knowledge that every day that includes bad economic news going forward under the Bojo kingship will be 'Told You So' Day... let the Leave folks enjoy the end of the week in peace.

Indeed - I keep forgetting that every day between Saturday and the end of the year is Brexiteers tearing each other apart day (with no "remoaners" to blame it on). Good luck lads. We're counting on you to make this work! Let the healing begin...

7 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

But the 50p has gone sideways whatever - No Oxford comma. I guess I should be impressed they spelt prosperity correctly.

As a former Oxford University Press editor I have no qualms in saying the Oxford comma is the most ridiculous idea in grammar and no one uses it (thank goodness). The Mint would have looked idiotic to put it in the inscription.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

It was over 24 hours before I mentioned it at all, but don't let facts stand in your way. I suppose it's fake news or something

I did add a question mark as I could not be arsed to check back. 

No we leave the EU on Friday. It is then followed by a transition period but we leave on Friday. The rest is just negotiating time with whoever we bloody want to. 

Archived