The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

19 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Whereas everybody else will suffer from the cuts in public spending caused by tax cuts and the fall in overall tax revenues caused by lower volumes of trade after Brexit.

What a very simplified version of economics presented as fact. Well done you. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If this was an accurate scenario and we had an influx of 200,000 people into the UK overnight  and say 2000 people moved into Derby on top of the normal annual birth rate in the city, what strain would that put on the NHS, Doctors, Dentists, Access to mental health services, Housing, Traffic, Local policing, Schools, Social care etc.

Or is the poor quality dig more important than reality?

It wasn't a poor quality dig. Poor quality satire I could accept. It was based on the conversations we had on last year's politics thread where certain posters argued that it was the influx of EU immigrants that was overwhelming the NHS

Hard to believe that there are people who don't follow this godawful thread that closely ?

1 hour ago, Norman said:

What a very simplified version of economics presented as fact. Well done you. 

You can do even better by explaining how the volume of trade is likely to grow after Britain has cut itself off from its main export market. Sajid Javid, has already said there will be no alignment with EU regulations once Britain’s exit from the European Union is made official. Non-compliance means no trade.

20 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Non-compliance means no trade.

I did wonder about Sajid's statement about this at the weekend.

I think a trade deal will be done with the EU within the deadline, and we will align closely with their regs,

Non-alignment would be a needless friction for EU trade and also give whoever the new leader of the Labour Party is a desperately needed toehold to get into the fight. Binning employment rights and food standards would be useful ammo.

I also think the statement acted as an anaesthetic for the Spartan Leaver MPs, to keep them quiet as BREXIT Tag approaches.

They got very excited about Big Ben. This should keep then happily listening to Vera Lynn and browsing Union Jack Y-Front websites until the big day.

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

You can do even better by explaining how the volume of trade is likely to grow after Britain has cut itself off from its main export market. Sajid Javid, has already said there will be no alignment with EU regulations once Britain’s exit from the European Union is made official. Non-compliance means no trade.

Good grief, that's a dramatic (and wrong) conclusion to make.

8 hours ago, BriggRam said:

Airbus UK publicly said that if we voted to leave they would have to consider setting up operations somewhere else.....they are now saying that they will be staying in the UK

I went to a high level business seminar Airbus was on the agenda regarding  the potential threat with Brexit .The general opinion was they couldn't move it away from the UK because we make all the important bits .

17 hours ago, cstand said:

Ok no problem but it was the only main concern I had about leaving the EU was the effect on London standing in the world of finance due to the amount of tax they pay and attracting business to this country.

So you no longer have concerns about London's standing in the world of finance. So what as happen to alleviate your concerns?

59 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

So you no longer have concerns about London's standing in the world of finance. So what as happen to alleviate your concerns?

Predicted jobs losses was 200k but in reality its about 15k. Bank stress are better in UK. If the EU force businesses to use Paris or Frankfurt exchanges this will scare off foreign investors so I would expect that money to come to the UK.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/brexit-fintech-finance-banking-jobs-city-of-london-slashes-brexit-job-loss-estimate/amp/

9 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I assume that this deeply worries you? If each of those EU company’s 1000 offices employs 200 people – that’s an influx of 200,000 EU immigrants. Imagine the strain that will put on our NHS? That’s like a city the size of Milton Keynes appearing overnight (etc)

No not at all. I'm all for immigration and welcoming people that will add something to our economy and society in general.

I assume your point that EU companies will not employ English people deeply worries you? Surely you dont want to remain part of such a racist institution?

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No not at all. I'm all for immigration and welcoming people that will add something to our economy and society in general.

Yes! My kids tell me the price of street drugs has and prostitutes never been cheaper! It's a godsend!

I assume your point that EU companies will not employ English people deeply worries you?

Maybe it would if that was anything like what I said and not a massive twist of my words (which I've already explained weren't entirely serious..)

Surely you dont want to remain part of such a racist institution?

What? When did I join the Conservative Party??? ?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yes! My kids tell me the price of street drugs has and prostitutes never been cheaper! It's a godsend!

Maybe it would if that was anything like what I said and not a massive twist of my words (which I've already explained weren't entirely serious..)

What? When did I join the Conservative Party??? ?

So James Cleverly,Priti Patel and Uncle Vesta are racist then ?

34 minutes ago, cstand said:

Priti Patel and uncle vesta are on the front benches they are at the heart of the Tory Party calling them  gate keepers is  just not cricket. 

The thing is - even you don't believe that this absolves the Tories of having racially regressive policies. You just think it's a funny point to make to "lefties".

The only thing they really are is shameful careerists. No one on either side of the political spectrum can fathom how much you would have to sell your soul as a minority to accept a position on the front benches of a party whose curremt policies would have prevented your ancestors from even being allowed to settle here.

2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

The thing is - even you don't believe that this absolves the Tories of having racially regressive policies. You just think it's a funny point to make to "lefties".

The only thing they really are is shameful careerists. No one on either side of the political spectrum can fathom how much you would have to sell your soul as a minority to accept a position on the front benches of a party whose curremt policies would have prevented your ancestors from even being allowed to settle here.

I don’t understand why you think it is funny to point out the fact that non white people sit on the front benches of a party that you have accused of being racist unless your accusations are base on emotion and not fact. 

As for being career politicians I am sure they could earn more money elsewhere without having to be up with the abuse of being accused they have sold their souls to the devil by people that think minorities should only support Labour Party.

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

The only reason they can make a career out of being an Tory MP is that the Labour party are so unelectable they can't put them on the dole.

10 minutes ago, cstand said:

I don’t understand why you think it is funny to point out the fact that non white people sit on the front benches of a party that you have accused of being racist unless your accusations are base on emotion and not fact. 

I didn't say it was funny. I said that Tory supporters found it funny.

Now explain to me the logical fallacy that is "the Conservative party cannot be racist because they have a couple of people from ethnic minorities on the front bench".

13 minutes ago, cstand said:

people that think minorities should only support Labour Party.

Again I didn't say that. They can support who they want, but they have to grapple with their own conscience

24 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I didn't say it was funny. I said that Tory supporters found it funny.

Now explain to me the logical fallacy that is "the Conservative party cannot be racist because they have a couple of people from ethnic minorities on the front bench".

Again I didn't say that. They can support who they want, but they have to grapple with their own conscience

No you need to logically explain to anyone that the Tory party are racist it’s your accusation to prove unless you prefer a society guilty unless proven innocent?

No you said it was me being funny not the tories.

As for minorities voters having to grapple with their own conscience surely that is the same for any voter regardless of their colour or race or religion because no political party have the perfect solution to the problems of a modern day society.

Archived