The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

17 minutes ago, Sasha said:

So you're drawing an correlation between Hitler and Boris Johnson.  Love Boris me, but then I'm a fascist obviously. I voted to leave 

Not what I said, nor what I implied. Good for you though love. You carry on gloating, we'll just watch.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

'A total of 1,441 EU companies had applied to the Financial Conduct Authority by October 2019 for temporary permission to continue operating in the UK'

It's not 'flocking to Britain' if they are already here.

Is this the latest version of the new nurses?

Some really big companies continuing to operate in the UK despite telling us they would leave if we voted out......

15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

'A total of 1,441 EU companies had applied to the Financial Conduct Authority by October 2019 for temporary permission to continue operating in the UK'

It's not 'flocking to Britain' if they are already here.

Is this the latest version of the new nurses?

'More than 1000 EU financial services companies PLAN TO OPEN UK OFFICES'

Did you not read that bit or just choose not to quote it.

Even if it were companies planning on staying here, that is very different to what we were warned would happen, right?

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

'More than 1000 EU financial services companies PLAN TO OPEN UK OFFICES'

Did you not read that bit or just choose not to quote it.

Even if it were companies planning on staying here, that is very different to what we were warned would happen, right?

Not really: 'could help to mitigate the economic blow dealt to the City by British institutions moving some of their assets and operations to European financial centres such as Paris and Frankfurt.'  

53 minutes ago, Sasha said:

As Michael Caine said, better to be poor master than a rich servant.   

I've earned a living by working for someone else all my life, probably as have most of the country's population. Does this by definition make us sevants. If so then yes I'd be happy to be a rich servant.

As for poor masters. I've never met a poor master, well not financially. Morally poor, well that's a different story

37 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Not really: 'could help to mitigate the economic blow dealt to the City by British institutions moving some of their assets and operations to European financial centres such as Paris and Frankfurt.'  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/01/20/global-chief-executives-back-post-brexit-britain-driver-growth/

Looks like the economic blow is starting to bite...

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Paris or Frankfurt financial centres are no threat to London.

32 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That's not me. It's quoted from the Telegraph article G Star Ram posted.

Ok no problem but it was the only main concern I had about leaving the EU was the effect on London standing in the world of finance due to the amount of tax they pay and attracting business to this country.

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

'More than 1000 EU financial services companies PLAN TO OPEN UK OFFICES'?

I assume that this deeply worries you? If each of those EU company’s 1000 offices employs 200 people – that’s an influx of 200,000 EU immigrants. Imagine the strain that will put on our NHS? That’s like a city the size of Milton Keynes appearing overnight (etc)

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I assume that this deeply worries you? If each of those EU company’s 1000 offices employs 200 people – that’s an influx of 200,000 EU immigrants. Imagine the strain that will put on our NHS? That’s like a city the size of Milton Keynes appearing overnight (etc)

Or.....they could employ UK nationals?.

In any case I'd expect that any such offices would be far smaller than you suggest and likely to be there, in part at least, to be able to take advantage of the possible/likely cuts in UK corporation tax post-Brexit.

46 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

In any case I'd expect that any such offices would be far smaller than you suggest and likely to be there, in part at least, to be able to take advantage of the possible/likely cuts in UK corporation tax post-Brexit.

That's just Project Optimism! ?

49 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Whereas everybody else will suffer from the cuts in public spending caused by tax cuts and the fall in overall tax revenues caused by lower volumes of trade after Brexit.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

If this was an accurate scenario and we had an influx of 200,000 people into the UK overnight  and say 2000 people moved into Derby on top of the normal annual birth rate in the city, what strain would that put on the NHS, Doctors, Dentists, Access to mental health services, Housing, Traffic, Local policing, Schools, Social care etc.

Or is the poor quality dig more important than reality?

Archived