The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

17 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You realise that many of the main Remainers were in the Tory party right? And the Labour leadership were much more Brexity than them?

I hope everything turns out well but I've got a worrying feeling it will be bad. Complex deals and negotiating needs more skill than trite slogans.

The labour leadership was totally clueless, no one had a duckin clue what the duck there stance was on brexit.....hence the MASSIVE defeat

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another defeat for the government in the House of Lords. It appears the unelected house is more caring than Johnson's bunch of elected nobs. With the tories suggesting that the Lords are moved out of London, it looks as if the right-wing are more keen to see the back of the upper chamber than some on the left.

2 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Another defeat for the government in the House of Lords. It appears the unelected house is more caring than Johnson's bunch of elected nobs. With the tories suggesting that the Lords are moved out of London, it looks as if the right-wing are more keen to see the back of the upper chamber than some on the left.

Or perhaps its a chance to prove to northern voters that this government really does want to change the mistakes of the past and listen to people from outside the elitist metropolitan bubble, something that lefties still don't get.  Time will tell.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/19/house-of-lords-may-move-out-of-london-to-reconnect-with-public

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Or perhaps its a chance to prove to northern voters that this government really does want to change the mistakes of the past and listen to people from outside the elitist metropolitan bubble, something that lefties still don't get.  Time will tell.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/19/house-of-lords-may-move-out-of-london-to-reconnect-with-public

Whilst I would normally applaud any actions that break the stranglehold of the London bubble on the politics of the rest of the country, I struggle to see the benefit of moving the Lords to York. Will they make different decisions? Will they suddenly seek to start representing the north of England more? Will they become more accountable? I don't think so

Move it to York by all means, but reform it to make a representative elected second chamber if you want to actually be seen to be reconnecting with modern life

The Northen Brexit voters that the Labour party lost aren't too keen on unelected privileged bureaucrats (so I'm led to believe) so why would they be wooed by  the House Of Lords?

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

Whilst I would normally applaud any actions that break the stranglehold of the London bubble on the politics of the rest of the country, I struggle to see the benefit of moving the Lords to York. Will they make different decisions? Will they suddenly seek to start representing the north of England more? Will they become more accountable? I don't think so

Move it to York by all means, but reform it to make a representative elected second chamber if you want to actually be seen to be reconnecting with modern life

The Northen Brexit voters that the Labour party lost aren't too keen on unelected privileged bureaucrats (so I'm led to believe) so why would they be wooed by  the House Of Lords?

Whilst I'm not to keen on unelected people having power in our lives, I'd see it as a symbolic move and an initial commitment to 'do better'.  In itself, the move would be a first tentative step, the time to judge any actual progress will be in 5 years.

20 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Turkeys voting for Christmas .

35 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

ELECTED by a massive margin ???

15 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

With Brexit having cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together, it's heartening to know that leave voters will now be able to have a drink and a gloat. Makes it all seem worthwhile after all.

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-will-cost-uk-more-than-total-payments-to-eu-2020-1?r=US&IR=T

If that was true, it would only take 13 years to break even compared with where we currently stand, or 20.5 years if you add the extra £70b.

But, the 3% drop quoted (to achieve the £130b figure) is misleading. Growth of the UK since the referendum (4.9%) is actually higher than most EU countries Belgium (4.7%), Germany (4.7%) and much higher than Italy (3.2%). The 3% comes from a over estimated pre-referendum forecast - Germany would also have a similar 3% drop 'due to brexit'.

49 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Whilst I'm not to keen on unelected people having power in our lives, I'd see it as a symbolic move and an initial commitment to 'do better'.  In itself, the move would be a first tentative step, the time to judge any actual progress will be in 5 years.

Half the Lords look as though they won't be alive by the time the trains reach York from London..........?

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If that was true, it would only take 13 years to break even compared with where we currently stand, or 20.5 years if you add the extra £70b.

But, the 3% drop quoted (to achieve the £130b figure) is misleading. Growth of the UK since the referendum (4.9%) is actually higher than most EU countries Belgium (4.7%), Germany (4.7%) and much higher than Italy (3.2%). The 3% comes from a over estimated pre-referendum forecast - Germany would also have a similar 3% drop 'due to brexit'.

To be honest, we could drag in all sorts of other data if wa need to fudge the issue further. The fact is, nobody knows what the situation will be post-Brexit and that includes you and I.

What is incontrovertible however, is the huge cost of the leave process thus far. If folk want to ignore said costs, that's their prerogative but as long as the rest of us have to listen to their inane gloating, we'll be happy to remind them that their 'victory' has come at a price, both human and financial.

16 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

To be honest, we could drag in all sorts of other data if wa need to fudge the issue further. The fact is, nobody knows what the situation will be post-Brexit and that includes you and I.

What is incontrovertible however, is the huge cost of the leave process thus far. If folk want to ignore said costs, that's their prerogative but as long as the rest of us have to listen to their inane gloating, we'll be happy to remind them that their 'victory' has come at a price, both human and financial.

But it hasn't cost the £130b you claim based on that article. The £130b relates to the difference compared with a pre-referendum forecast. By your logic, the referendum result has cost Germany even more!

34 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

As Michael Caine said, better to be poor master than a rich servant.   

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/01/20/boost-city-eu-firms-flock-set-uk-offices-brexit/

Really coming home to roost now, here is more evidence of firms flocking Britian before Brexit, just as predicted...

'A total of 1,441 EU companies had applied to the Financial Conduct Authority by October 2019 for temporary permission to continue operating in the UK'

It's not 'flocking to Britain' if they are already here.

Is this the latest version of the new nurses?

Archived