The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Nothing is decent in the world anymore. 

Here is a bit of decency. Government confirming there will checks on trade across the Irish sea. Strange Johnson lied to the DUP about this to get their support originally, then even after this was agreed, still went on to lie there would be no checks.

I know politicians always lie, but remember when there used to be consequences when the lies were exposed? And the old lies used be things like "I am not having an affair", and when this was exposed, the lying politician was sacked. Like what happened to Johnson when in the shadow cabinet.

But this Trump style lying, when the actual truth is obvious to everyone, but still the lie continues is just embarrassing. Especially embarrassing when we are all happy to ignore it. How did we all become so cheap so quickly?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/13/brexit-will-mean-checks-on-goods-crossing-irish-sea-government-admits

14 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Nothing is decent in the world anymore. 

If you look there's some decent stuff out there, Decent people and believe it of not, Decent Politicians, The trouble I have is trying to seperate fact from fiction, Lies from truth, Honesty from dishonesty, The Sun rises then Falls and it's another Day.

25 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Certainly not much is decent in the world of politics. Surely it has to change at some point?

When we stop seeing politics as a popularity contest or ongoing TV soap opera written by populist political narrators in the media and we start holding politicians to a much higher standard in terms of competence. 

The country deserves the government that was elected in some ways. 

55 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Here is a bit of decency. Government confirming there will checks on trade across the Irish sea. Strange Johnson lied to the DUP about this to get their support originally, then even after this was agreed, still went on to lie there would be no checks.

I know politicians always lie, but remember when there used to be consequences when the lies were exposed? And the old lies used be things like "I am not having an affair", and when this was exposed, the lying politician was sacked. Like what happened to Johnson when in the shadow cabinet.

But this Trump style lying, when the actual truth is obvious to everyone, but still the lie continues is just embarrassing. Especially embarrassing when we are all happy to ignore it. How did we all become so cheap so quickly?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/13/brexit-will-mean-checks-on-goods-crossing-irish-sea-government-admits

Is it a lie or is it that whatever alternative arrangements they had in mind have had to be scrapped for whatever reason? I don't know. does anyone?

14 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

You have got to be kidding me.. Pick and 99 from 100 Eddie posts.

I suspect a little hyperbole here, but if you are actually being serious, please substantiate your claim.

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It wasn't a proper question. G Star rarely asks those

No point when people back down and wont provide answers.

Just 3 we are still awaiting from you:-

1 - Where is your evidence of racism against hundreds of Chinese students?

2 - What have the EU PPE and ventilator procurement schemes delivered to date?

3 - Why did you bring race into it when I questioned Keir Starmers success in prosecuting grooming gangs? 

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

1 - Where is your evidence of racism against hundreds of Chinese students?

2 - What have the EU PPE and ventilator procurement schemes delivered to date?

3 - Why did you bring race into it when I questioned Keir Starmers success in prosecuting grooming gangs? 

1- Just google "Chines students attacked UK" you will see dozens of reports from accross the UK

2 - I dont know do you? Surely though the issue here is that we were offered an opportunity to take a share of whatever they obtained. It was a no lose situation which we turned our back on simply to make a point to thei anti-EU cultists fanbase, who think that anything containing the word "Europe" is somehow inferior or directly connected to the EU. This is why we get people citing as a reason for leaving the EU, "cos they let criminals off because of the European court of yuman rights"

3- Decisions on prosecution of any case are extremely complex, you only have to look at how rape prosecutions have fallen through the floor in the last 10 years. Why? I have not seen the evidence files provided to the CPS from various Police Forces (have you?) I'm not legally trained (are you?) I didnt sit on the Lawyers panel that weighed up the chances of a successful prosecution (did you?) So I guess it is difficult to know. What I do know however is that I don't believe the sort of crap on sites like Guido, there I guess we differ.

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

When people were questioning the governements numbers on coronavirus testing you correctly challenged them (myself included) on the information we were using to form that opinion.

On this point regarding Starmer and the grooming gangs I will ask the same of you, what knowledge of the case do you have that has lead you to the conclusion that Starmer bears responsibility for any failure in this case?

I will say that I am certainly no expert on this topic so I do not have an opinion either way, I am intertested to read up on it.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

When people were questioning the governements numbers on coronavirus testing you correctly challenged them (myself included) on the information we were using to form that opinion.

On this point regarding Starmer and the grooming gangs I will ask the same of you, what knowledge of the case do you have that has lead you to the conclusion that Starmer bears responsibility for any failure in this case?

I will say that I am certainly no expert on this topic so I do not have an opinion either way, I am intertested to read up on it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-failed-grooming-victims-law-chief-keir-starmer-admits-9dwd9brflvm

Just now, maxjam said:

Is that a direct failure of Starmer or is he the one attempting to correct the mistakes produced by an inherently flawed system? The article is behind a pay wall so that is not clear from the blurb I do have access to. I'll do some digging.

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

1- Just google "Chines students attacked UK" you will see dozens of reports from accross the UK

Only dozens? There were hundreds at just one university apparently but I can find no evidence of this hence why I am awaiting for the poster to point me in the right direction.

2 - I dont know do you? Surely though the issue here is that we were offered an opportunity to take a share of whatever they obtained. It was a no lose situation which we turned our back on simply to make a point to thei anti-EU cultists fanbase, who think that anything containing the word "Europe" is somehow inferior or directly connected to the EU. This is why we get people citing as a reason for leaving the EU, "cos they let criminals off because of the European court of yuman rights"

From reports I have read, very little PPE and no ventilators. You do realise that money would have been involved in acquiring these supplies? Surely you would only want to pay to be part of a scheme that delivers anything? Or it is just because it was the EU and it helped supporting your opinion that it was a bad idea to vote Leave?

3- Decisions on prosecution of any case are extremely complex, you only have to look at how rape prosecutions have fallen through the floor in the last 10 years. Why? I have not seen the evidence files provided to the CPS from various Police Forces (have you?) I'm not legally trained (are you?) I didnt sit on the Lawyers panel that weighed up the chances of a successful prosecution (did you?) So I guess it is difficult to know. What I do know however is that I don't believe the sort of crap on sites like Guido, there I guess we differ.

No, I have not seen the files, neither have I sent the files from the paedo ring case either, am I not allowed to think that is a disgrace either?

Archived