The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Trump is a white supremacist who turns everything into a race issue. That is his appeal to his supporters.

You may well be right, I couldn't possibly comment. However, and this is probably the only time I'll sort of defend him, he might well have responded in the same way regardless of the journalists ancestry.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

OK, I take your point although it was a question - albeit a relatively pointless one but, in my opinion, the way he dealt with the situation (and many others) is pretty difficult to defend. I agree, there was no need for her to turn it into a race issue (of course he directed the question at her, it was her that had asked the original question) but why did he feel the need to turn it into a question about China?

Because with an election looming he wants the American electorate to blame China for the high American Death toll, not his administration's confused denials and belated response to the pandemic.  That's why he'll try to implicate China as often as he possibly can in my opinion.

You'll also probably hear Trump and his subordinates refer the Chinese government as 'The Chinese Communist Party' more often I would think, just to remind people that the Chinese government are communist and therefore extra evil.

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yeah, everyone who thinks it's a crap slogan is thick. We get it. Let's move it along now as reading post after post about how folk are thick / lack common sense or asking how stupid someone must be if (insert remainder of insult here) is getting really ducking tedious.

Ok thanks.

What are we allowed to discuss please?

And why did you choose my post to comment on when there were plenty of other posters discussing it?

#OBSESSED 

6 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

Oh I forgot to add you keep mentioning the EU PPE purchasing scheme. How successful was it? Why did they buy from the U.K.?

They sent a News crew to a French hospital ,they had a shortage of PPE and had a bigger issue with ventilator numbers than us  also .We do like a good moan in this country.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok thanks.

And why did you choose my post to comment on when there were plenty of other posters discussing it?

#OBSESSED 

Well, you are kinda cute ?

18 minutes ago, ramit said:

Well, you are kinda cute ?

Why thank you sexy. Must admit I've let myself go abit during lockdown,  but thats because I am still awaiting confirmation from the Government over what I am supposed to do when the barbers are closed.

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok thanks.

#OBSESSED 

Obsessed? Yeah, you clearly are. You've posted the same spiteful crap dozens of times now simply because some other people don't rate the latest government slogan, but yeah, it's everyone else that has the problem. 

3 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Why didn't we?

Do you know what masks they were? Were they up to the NHS requirements? There are different masks for different levels of contact. Had the company or companies gone through the necessary procurement processes? 

What would have been the outcry have been if they gave the NHS substandard masks?

But the answer is I don’t know and neither do you but again the media just feed you what they want you to know.

3 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The UK bought substandard goods from Turkey.

True but they had probably been an approved supplier rather than one not checked and the purchasers were more confident buying off them. Do you think the government did the purchasing or the NHS buyers?

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Going by the images I've seen on tv, of old people queuing outside garden centres this morning. They appear to be doing their best to aid in this process.

Can't understand the urge for a few bedding plants is stronger than the urge to stay alive.

Well, the vast majority of old people that I know have been basically self-isolating and socially distancing for the last 7 weeks - and if the only people queuing (hopefully socially distancing is the process) have been doing likewise, avoiding contact with others in the process, why would that be any more of a risk than, say, going to the supermarket?

When you are retired, your garden might well be the only thing you have to look forward to. What is the point of just existing?

4 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

True but they had probably been an approved supplier rather than one not checked and the purchasers were more confident buying off them. Do you think the government did the purchasing or the NHS buyers?

That's what happens when you don't have common standards for consumer protection and product quality.

21 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Obsessed? Yeah, you clearly are. You've posted the same spiteful crap dozens of times now simply because some other people don't rate the latest government slogan, but yeah, it's everyone else that has the problem. 

Haven't said anything about the slogan.

I've said people are playing dumb by pretending not understand what the advice to stay alert means.

I assume you are now going to tell certain posters that have posted the same crap about the Government response numerous times, that they are being tedious?

Or is it ok to repeat them tedious posts because you agree with them?

23 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

Boris caught lying in the commons again, and Starmer was immediately ready to call him up on it. People must be held accountable for mistakes.

It's not really advice is it?

Sounds more like an opinion.

But you are right that it needs to be corrected if he has misled.

Not sure why the Government would have said that in the first place, what a really silly thing to say!

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I am pretty confident our Government wouldn’t produce such a banner, nor many other western democracies, but l accept that’s only my opinion. Trump would scream fake news at this link because it comes from CNN but it reflects the widespread reporting of his claim:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiDut6ctrDpAhV7aRUIHe5tBNEQ0PADMAB6BAgNEAY&url=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F2020%2F05%2F12%2Fhealth%2Fus-coronavirus-testing-per-capita%2Findex.html&usg=AOvVaw1BU97rQA1gNxBs_h0s8opo

To be fair we were trumpeting lower comparative death rates until that went out the window, we were/are trumpeting our comparative financial packages to help businesses, we were trumpeting our wonderful comparative readiness for a pandemic before that took a turn ?

as I say I’m no trump supporter but fairs fair

19 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

That's what happens when you don't have common standards for consumer protection and product quality.

Well we obviously do have standards otherwise we would not know they were not fit for purpose.

What difference would having common standards have made?

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Haven't said anything about the slogan.

I've said people are playing dumb by pretending not understand what the advice to stay alert means.

I assume you are now going to tell certain posters that have posted the same crap about the Government response numerous times, that they are being tedious?

Or is it ok to repeat them tedious posts because you agree with them?

Errrr, that'd make some modicum of sense if they were the ones calling their fellow Rams 'thick' or 'stupid' every 5 minutes, but they're not, are they? 

Anyway, I'll exit this 'debate' here. You have a great day old chap.

Archived