v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Davies is available. He was limping end of the last game. Waggy also got a hit on the knee from the boards and looked in discomfort afterwards and did't last whole game. If they are not available:

Hamer

Wisdom Carter-Vickers Clarke Lowe

Holmes             Bird  

Josefzoon                           Knight

Rooney       Marriott

Most import things are 1) not to play Forsyth as a CB and 2) give Holmes the playmaking role. Then we can win anyone in this league.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Most import things are 1) not to play Forsyth as a CB and 2) give Holmes the playmaking role. Then we can win anyone in this league.

Just seeing Marriott and Rooney up top makes this team look deadly. Knight and Holmes in midfield. Quality.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Hopefully Davies is available. He was limping end of the last game. Waggy also got a hit on the knee from the boards and looked in discomfort afterwards and did't last whole game. If they are not available:

Hamer

Wisdom Carter-Vickers Clarke Lowe

Holmes             Bird  

Josefzoon                           Knight

Rooney       Marriott

Nah.  If Davies and Waghorn are out I think he will play Forsyth but I would prefer Martin to Josefzoon

and if Bogle is fit I would put Wisdom at centre half but Cocu does not seem to like that option nor does

he seem to like Martin/Marriott up front ???   :-

Hamer

Bogle    Wisdom  Clarke  Lowe

Holmes         Bird         Knight

Rooney

Martin         Marriott

Go for it and ATTACK !!

Just now, gfs1ram said:

Nah.  If Davies and Waghorn are out I think he will play Forsyth but I would prefer Martin to Josefzoon

and if Bogle is fit I would put Wisdom at centre half but Cocu does not seem to like that option nor does

Hamer

Rooney

Martin         Marriott

Go for it and ATTACK !!

The RW is problematic indeed. Waghorn has played there even it's not his position. Ditto Holmes. Josefzoon and Bennett are not good enough. I'm having high hopes for Mitchell-Lawson. Maybe his opportunity comes later in the season with Sibley, when Knight and Bird have cemented their places first.

Hamer

Wisdom       Davies       Clarke.       Lowe

Bird

Holmes            Knight

Rooney

Waghorn           Marriott

Rooney has to play. 

We need a quality player on the pitch who can score goals we should of had 5 against Charlton but only scored 2 which made the game harder for us.

we've struggled to score goals all season so for me Rooney has to start.

12 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Rooney has to play. 

We need a quality player on the pitch who can score goals we should of had 5 against Charlton but only scored 2 which made the game harder for us.

we've struggled to score goals all season so for me Rooney has to start.

I’d agree, but a note of caution he’s not played for a couple of months and he’s the wrong side of 30, so it may take him a few weeks to get his sharpness back.

A lot of people seem to be expecting big things from him and he may well deliver but it could be a slow start as he builds fitness

On 30/12/2019 at 23:30, twinthe_12 said:

Team vs Barnsley.

Hamer - did allmost okay behind a shaky defence, but instead we need a new quality keeper as soon as possible.

Wisdom - nice to see him back. A lot better than Bogle,  that loses his man too often. Did good with his power and his head in defence too.

Davies - last season for him for sure, but right now we haven't got anybody else. Bielik should play in his place instead when he gets back. In midfield he's too clumsy and slow right now.

Clarke - didn't perform, but will get better

Forsyth - better than Lowe as left back

Bird - did even better vs Charlton. Good eye for passing long balls. Sure starter now.

Knight - sure to start again. What a game vs Charlton.

Holmes - right now he should start, but Sibley has to come in instead as soon as possible - it's time for him to shine in the first team too like he has done in the U23.

Rooney - as a 10 instead of Lawrence

Marriott - the goals has to come now together with Rooney.

Martin - gives us an extra egde up front to hold the ball and calm down the play.

Clark didn’t perform? Are you serious?Were you even watching the match?

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

I’d agree, but a note of caution he’s not played for a couple of months and he’s the wrong side of 30, so it may take him a few weeks to get his sharpness back.

A lot of people seem to be expecting big things from him and he may well deliver but it could be a slow start as he builds fitness

For me we need the experience and quality he can play 65 mins then be subbed. A midfield of Sibley, Bird, Knight and Holmes isn’t experienced enough for me, they need some helping and Rooney will help them get better 

6 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Who do we have to rotate in though? Martin or Malone and that's about it. Doubt he'll drop Lowe after last game and bringing Martin into this team would mean a change of style. Think we'll go with the overwhelming breakaway pace that we saw against Charlton. 

When was the last time we fielded the same 11 for more than a couple of matches in a row? I know we  have had a lot of injuries, but our team selection hasnt been particularly consistent this year even when they do have good games.

4 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

Hamer

Rooney

Martin         Marriott

Go for it and ATTACK !!

He won't put Forsyth in if Davies is injured. He prefers to have a left footed player as the LCB and vice versa for right. That is the reason we kept using Forsyth there rather than Wisdom. Wisdom would very likely just slot into Davies position and Bogle would play at RB. If their are no injuries I don't think any of the Charlton players deserve to be dropped. Its not like Martin and Marriott haven't played together this season - they have had plenty of minutes together and accomplished very little.

7 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Imagine the noise when Rooney scores in the first 10 minutes. 

I thought the crowd was the best of the season  on Monday, hopefully the same again tomorrow. 

Had a charlton fan say he thought the atmosphere on Monday was up there with the best in the championship, more of the same tomorrow boys & girls ???

He'll want to keep the team v Charlton minus Beirlik (obviously) and with Rooney in.

If Davies is out (and he has looked sketchy for a while to be fair) and if Bogle may be away soon, he may well keep Wisdom at full back and go for the U23 lad at CH.

If he reaches for his roulette wheel as usual, goodness knows what Cocu will serve up.

Hopefully his team sheet making roulette wheel went back for a refund today!

3 hours ago, Ramarena said:

IMO he'll be fine for this game. Rooney's problems will be in recovering and playing back-to-back games I think.

On 31/12/2019 at 12:26, BucksRam said:

Baring niggling injuries, tiredness, same team as last night please. Would say Rooney in for Bielik from the start but unsure of his fitness.  Possibly Sibley start, with Rooney in later.

By all accounts he's fit... as in he won't be any fitter next week than he is now.  Obviously he won't be truly "match sharp" until he gets a few games under his belt.  I'd rather see him start, and if he tires, replace him.  Better that than bringing him on for the last half hour, imo.

Still, however Cocu wants to play it, I'll trust his judgement over mine!  

Archived