Radio Derby in meltdown

Curtains

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I think we're getting crossed wires.

My mischievous post was aimed solely at your apparent claim that you "called" that "Rooney is coming in soon".  And that's all it was... mischievous!

For what it's worth, personally, I didn't and don't want Cocu gone, but I agree many did, and some still do.
Also, with regard to "being wise after the event", I can only relate to the first post you re-quoted today... something I would have agreed with then, had I seen it, and something I'd still agree with presently, so my mischievous post aside, I reckon we're on the same side, and ergo, my wisdom now, is no more or less than it was back on Boxing day!

??

Mate it’s fine.  Thanks for posting.  Rams4life 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney, England and Manchester United top goal scorer, will make an impact in a championship team  

That’s is undoubtedly  a genius observation, I’m not sure anyone else could have predicted such a thing. How are you not presenting match of the day with such insights?

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

I was at Huddersfield away when it was announced and some people were saying he’s past it but others like myself were more optimistic.   

Anyhow his impact has been immense 

But didn't you also say at some point that there was nobody good enough in the academy that would improve the first xi?

So 1 out of 2 then ?

1 minute ago, angieram said:

I remember you taking that photo. Great night! 

It’s true I have questioned the Academy at times.   That was a brilliant night

The balance that Cocu is achieving between academy players coming though and established first team players is impressive.

One thing we don’t seem to see is central defenders making it into the first team but it appears MM has it right at the moment. 

Rooney has been important to the players with his leadership and know how and I think Lampard gave the club a boost as well. 

Happy days 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Rooney, England and Manchester United top goal scorer, will make an impact in a championship team  

That’s is undoubtedly  a genius observation, I’m not sure anyone else could have predicted such a thing. How are you not presenting match of the day with such insights?

You take the mick here but would that impact be the same in say a Rowett team where the ball is not a friend?

34 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The balance that Cocu is achieving between academy players coming though and established first team players is impressive.

One thing we don’t seem to see is central defenders making it into the first team but it appears MM has it right at the moment. 

Rooney has been important to the players with his leadership and know how and I think Lampard gave the club a boost as well. 

Happy days 

Yes, we were talking about the central defenders at the post-game Forum meetup last Saturday (you should come this week, no pesky quiz questions?).

Hunt moved on quite quickly after his loan spell, Wassall seems to be a permanent fixture in the under 23s and the other place is often rotated. Minkley only just stepping up from 18s.

Rawson looked decent for a while but has now been released from Forest Green Rovers so didn't fulfil early promise.

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, we were talking about the central defenders at the post-game Forum meetup last Saturday (you should come this week, no pesky quiz questions?).

Hunt moved on quite quickly after his loan spell, Wassall seems to be a permanent fixture in the under 23s and the other place is often rotated. Minkley only just stepping up from 18s.

Rawson looked decent for a while but has now been released from Forest Green Rovers so didn't fulfil early promise.

I agree about CBs, which is why I was a bit surprised to read of Jordan Brown training with the first team, and being mentioned as a CB.  The DCFC website is even confused about him, saying he "plays anywhere across the backline, or even in midfield", but also goes on to label him as a midfielder. I don't think we need anymore midfielders, so he better get good at CB because we're pretty well stocked at FB too.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Happy days 

Maybe I was thinking a year or more back. Was one of those threads where some were saying "play the kids, get them some experience " and your view was "they won't make any difference theres nobody ready".

Anyway, we've got some good young ones coming through now, whether they were ready a while back or not is pretty irrelevant. 

Carry on! (Any chance of a random Curtains special? Go on  start off on Colin Addison and Doherty's random cheap irishmen.....just for old times sake ?)

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I have to admit, i do find the absence of Craig Rammage has improved Radio Derby's coverage.

Agreed, with Eric Steele you get a more pragmatic and insightful co commentary. Also seems to have had a sobering effect on Dawes. 

17 minutes ago, europia said:

Agreed, with Eric Steele you get a more pragmatic and insightful co commentary. Also seems to have had a sobering effect on Dawes. 

yeah the Ed n Craig lovers tiffs/banter got tedious about four seasons ago.

Lot of time for Eric Steele, his contributions genuinely add to the commentary as opposed to "and how would you say all that if you were a twelve year old Criag?"

9 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

I agree about CBs, which is why I was a bit surprised to read of Jordan Brown training with the first team, and being mentioned as a CB.  The DCFC website is even confused about him, saying he "plays anywhere across the backline, or even in midfield", but also goes on to label him as a midfielder. I don't think we need anymore midfielders, so he better get good at CB because we're pretty well stocked at FB too.

JBrown to me is a utility player, similar to Jamie Hanson. In this case, I’d say his main position is DM, but he’s very good at RB and LB, and good at CB.

If I remember correctly, he was mostly used at CB last season when playing in a back three, along side Minkley and Cashin. This season he was used at LB in the absence of Buchanan, and played at DM once Bird stepped up into being a first team regular.

In terms of him being in first team training - I think it’s partly Cocu’s involving a very large number of the U23 squad now their season is over, and also the fact he covers RB, whilst we use Wisdom at CB.

Next season, I see him being used at DM for the U23s. MacDonald and Ebosele will be the RBs. Buchanan and Charles LBs. Minkley and Cashin first choice CBs. But, probably only Dixon and Thompson the other available CMs unless Babos stays another year.

For me, the most promising prospect at CB is Cashin. I feel he was kept in the U18s this season due to the numbers we had available in the U23s (Wassall, Bateman, Minkley, Buchanan) and the lack of experience available in the U18s (Solomon and Jinkinson 1st years, and Rutt who is still a member of the U16s)

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

JBrown to me is a utility player, similar to Jamie Hanson. In this case, I’d say his main position is DM, but he’s very good at RB and LB, and good at CB.

If I remember correctly, he was mostly used at CB last season when playing in a back three, along side Minkley and Cashin. This season he was used at LB in the absence of Buchanan, and played at DM once Bird stepped up into being a first team regular.

In terms of him being in first team training - I think it’s partly Cocu’s involving a very large number of the U23 squad now their season is over, and also the fact he covers RB, whilst we use Wisdom at CB.

Next season, I see him being used at DM for the U23s. MacDonald and Ebosele will be the RBs. Buchanan and Charles LBs. Minkley and Cashin first choice CBs. But, probably only Dixon and Thompson the other available CMs unless Babos stays another year.

For me, the most promising prospect at CB is Cashin. I feel he was kept in the U18s this season due to the numbers we had available in the U23s (Wassall, Bateman, Minkley, Buchanan) and the lack of experience available in the U18s (Solomon and Jinkinson 1st years, and Rutt who is still a member of the U16s)

Yeh we'll probably Cashin on him by selling to Watford if he breaks through to the first team. 

I'll get me coat. 

16 hours ago, Curtains said:

This for me is the most important thing

For ages (since Mac1 really) we've had a patchwork squad made up of pieces of other managers teams - Each manager seemed to make his 11 from 2-3 players from an old team, bring in 2-3 of his own and be waiting on the rest to appear/be provided in future windows - Even under Lampard we were only really at our best when the players he brought in were playing

What's great about Cocu (for me) is he's looked at the squad, decided how he wants to play and who to set up with, learned the league (pretty quickly - I'd suggest half a season to get a measure of a league where you've never played or coached in the whole country before is pretty impressive) and learned what the players are capable of out on the pitch - And then started picking the right players for the right positions - Sounds simple I know but so many of our previous managers were trying to play square pegs in round holes - Johnson in DM for so so so long for instance (which worked well maybe 1 game in 4) - Where Cocu just went "There's a lad in the youth team who can actually play the role I want - Let's play him then"

He's the first manager in years who looks like he's picking players to play in their actual position - In a formation and style he wants us to play - Rather than picking his 'first team' and squishing them into positions they don't really play just to get them on the pitch

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He's the first manager in years who looks like he's picking players to play in their actual position...

He's the first one for some time to look like he'll stick around long enough to do that.

Archived