Radio Derby in meltdown

Curtains

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

This for me is the most important thing

For ages (since Mac1 really) we've had a patchwork squad made up of pieces of other managers teams - Each manager seemed to make his 11 from 2-3 players from an old team, bring in 2-3 of his own and be waiting on the rest to appear/be provided in future windows - Even under Lampard we were only really at our best when the players he brought in were playing

What's great about Cocu (for me) is he's looked at the squad, decided how he wants to play and who to set up with, learned the league (pretty quickly - I'd suggest half a season to get a measure of a league where you've never played or coached in the whole country before is pretty impressive) and learned what the players are capable of out on the pitch - And then started picking the right players for the right positions - Sounds simple I know but so many of our previous managers were trying to play square pegs in round holes - Johnson in DM for so so so long for instance (which worked well maybe 1 game in 4) - Where Cocu just went "There's a lad in the youth team who can actually play the role I want - Let's play him then"

He's the first manager in years who looks like he's picking players to play in their actual position - In a formation and style he wants us to play - Rather than picking his 'first team' and squishing them into positions they don't really play just to get them on the pitch

I understand where you're coming from, but this current crop coming through are special - hence why we won the U18s last season and did well in the U19 UEFA Youth League this year - I believe we would have won it if Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker would have been available (Buchanan would have helped too). Cocu's introduced them at just the right time

There aren't many who didn't get a fair chance in the first team. Lowe repeatedly got pushed down the pecking order. Elsnik, Macdonald, Thomas, McAllister, Zanzala, Vernam, Hanson and Guy were probably the most promising we've had previously. Maybe things would have turned out differently in the end if they were given (more) games, but Thomas is the only one playing in the Championship (we got a decent fee with sell-ons for him) so perhaps they weren't good enough to feature? None of them looked as good as Lowe, Bogle, Bird, Knight or Sibley.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I understand where you're coming from, but this current crop coming through are special - hence why we won the U18s last season and did well in the U19 UEFA Youth League this year - I believe we would have won it if Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker would have been available (Buchanan would have helped too). Cocu's introduced them at just the right time

I'm not saying they aren't - I think 10 years of hard work by Wassall and his academy team has paid off wonderfully - And Sibley for one looks like a very special player

The flip side is - The manager has chosen when to bring them through and has only brought them in because they fit the style and way he wants to play - It's possible Knight is playing 'out of position' from where he played for the youth team but other than that they've been brought in because they're the best player we have for a specific role Cocu wants them to play - Suggesting Cocu is doing well because he's been lucky is like saying Ferguson was lucky to get the class of 92 - Managing is as much about recognising what you have and using it at the right time as anything else

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There aren't many who didn't get a fair chance in the first team. Lowe repeatedly got pushed down the pecking order. Elsnik, Macdonald, Thomas, McAllister, Zanzala, Vernam, Hanson and Guy were probably the most promising we've had previously. Maybe things would have turned out differently in the end if they were given (more) games

I think game time makes a real difference though - Most of those guys got 10 mins at the end of games where you have to have a blinder to really showcase your difference

I still maintain that Bennett plays half the time like he's still 15 and doesn't consider himself a senior player - Like his job is to do all the running and hard work but never take any chances because that's for the senior players to do - The current crop don't have that because Cocu seems happy to play them from the start to try them out - It's why I loved his attitude of playing the 'backup' and youth players against forest in the cup

I also still think Hanson could have been a long term Bryson replacement - He was (IMO) too small for CB or DM but his range of passing, workrate and drive would have made him a good CM for me - Someone needed to play him further forward and more regularly (more like we're playing Shinnie)

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There aren't many who didn't get a fair chance in the first team. Lowe repeatedly got pushed down the pecking order. Elsnik, Macdonald, Thomas, McAllister, Zanzala, Vernam, Hanson and Guy were probably the most promising we've had previously. Maybe things would have turned out differently in the end if they were given (more) games, but Thomas is the only one playing in the Championship (we got a decent fee with sell-ons for him) so perhaps they weren't good enough to feature? None of them looked as good as Lowe, Bogle, Bird, Knight or Sibley.

You only have to see Cocu's interview about Sibley to see that this manager is different. Yes he has a good crop, but I feel some of those names mentioned above would have thrived under Cocu. Better management and I reckon Elsnik could have been a good player for us.

Maybe I am wrong but you feel that Cocu has completely invested in this job long term and he is doing exactly what he got the job for. Mel must be delighted that someone hasn't sold him a pack of lies about their aims in the job. Those young players know if they put the work in and do the right things this club will give them a chance of first team football.

Back on topic. I listened to Radio Derby for the Millwall game and it was much much better. Always good to have a calm voice.

17 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I am missing ramage just find steel total bouring to listen too

I can't believe your mum and dad didn't choose the season ticket refund/discount option which would have allowed you to watch the remaining games on RamsTV.

Did you decide yourself that you would rather not watch the games? 

It seems a bit unfair forcing you to listen to the radio commentary when it bores you so much.

11 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I can't believe your mum and dad didn't choose the season ticket refund/discount option which would have allowed you to watch the remaining games on RamsTV.

It seems a bit unfair forcing you to listen to the radio commentary when it bores you so much.

think he was meaning the monday night talk in.

42 minutes ago, Coconut said:

B4 now has access to Rams TV, worry not.

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Yes 10 pounds .

Ill get highlights on Quest mate and goals on SSN   

Next 3 games are covered fo me on Sky  

That's a good point and everyone makes their own choice. Because two of us watch together, it still has a match day feel - me jumping up and down shouting and singing and the other half telling me to shut up!

Just now, angieram said:

That's a good point and everyone makes their own choice. Because two of us watch together, it still has a match day feel - me jumping up and down shouting and singing and the other half telling me to shut up!

That’s funny.  

It’s totally my decision as not very good if I’m not at game as I get too tense .

Hope we win. 

Archived