Ravanelli OR Rooney?

Danelaw Rams

I know the thread is comparing Rooney with Ravanelli, so apologies for the hijack. But a real comparison is with the signing of Dave Mackay, as others have alluded to.

We were a second-tier side back then, like we are now, yet Cloughie managed to recruit one of the great (albeit ageing) stars of a fantastic Spurs team. He was coming up to 34 when he signed for the Rams yet played more than 120 games over the next three seasons - massively influencing the way the team played along the way. Didn't he win the football writers player of the year as a second division player with us?

Now, if Rooney can have that kind of effect on our Club then he will truly be one of our greatest signings!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Yani P said:

Remember watching Ravanelli away at Gillingham...he was looking around all game thinking WTF am I doing here.. Didn't try an inch.. 

He built his rep on being a grafter but I agree, I didn’t see an ounce of that when he was here. Prob the most disappointing signing ever. Apart from (controversial statement here I know) Kinky. That man defined ‘luxury player’. Wasn’t fit to lace Asanovic’s boots (a much better and more interesting luxury player). Now THAT’S a hijack!! ?

9 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Bigger than Charlie George...No.

Bigger than Franny Lee...No.

Bigger than Dave McKay...No.

Bigger than Toddy...No.

Bigger than Roy Mac...No.

I hope WR does well but for me he won’t replace the real greats that have worn the Ram. 

It’s a bit disproportionate to compare someone who has signed but not kicked a ball, against Derby legends that nobody knew were going to be legends before they had kicked a ball.

Are we still paying for Ravanelli????

Rooney is the bigger signing of the two no doubt. Actually in terms of name and reputation Rooney is arguably the biggest signing in our history. In terms of performances and memories I think he'll be one of the better ones but nowhere near our legends. 

Talking about name and reputation does anyone remember the day we almost signed Roberto Baggio????????

Wayne Rooney, Manchester United and England all time top goalscorer. 

Doesn’t get much bigger than that, now obviously he’s no longer in his prime but he remains a superstar. 

Rooney isn’t just a bigger signing than Ravenelli, he’s by far the biggest signing this club has ever made and I’m still a little stunned he’s even here, seeing the pictures of him in Derby County kit is mind blowing. 

I know some don’t like the media attention, weren’t fans of the whole “Frank Lampard’s Derby County” but football is a business now, Wayne Rooney will bring more eyes on to this club and that can only be a good thing. 

I intend to enjoy every single minute he’s with us as it wasn’t long ago we had the likes of Robbie Savage prancing around the pitch for us. 

11 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Bigger than Charlie George...No.

Bigger than Franny Lee...No.

Bigger than Dave McKay...No.

Bigger than Toddy...No.

Bigger than Roy Mac...No.

I hope WR does well but for me he won’t replace the real greats that have worn the Ram. 

At the time of signing Rooney has to be bigger than all of these. Certainly all except maybe Mackay. Dave Mackay was signed directly from Tottenham, but his career is nowhere near as successful as Rooney’s. Times change, but he has to be the biggest named signing in the clubs history. Whether he is as successful, I doubt. 

Until he does something in a Derby shirt, I don't see how anyone can claim Rooney to be the biggest signing the Rams have ever made, determined purely on what he achieved at a previous club and as a former international. If it were based on that theory, would he be the biggest signing the club have made if he was signed, say, at age 40? 

Seems I was watching a different Ravanelli to most on here. I always thought he was trying harder than many others in the side.

That team was poor and on the way downward and I can understand people identifying the million pound earner as a figure of dislike, but in my memory he was usually one of the best and most committed players in that crap side.

28 minutes ago, europia said:

Until he does something in a Derby shirt, I don't see how anyone can claim Rooney to be the biggest signing the Rams have ever made, determined purely on what he achieved at a previous club and as a former international. If it were based on that theory, would he be the biggest signing the club have made if he was signed, say, at age 40? 

He’s the biggest signing - not the biggest success?  

13 hours ago, Raich Van Carter said:

- Most capped outfield player for England

- Top goal scorer for England

- Won 5 Premiership titles

- Champions League, FA Cup, Milk cup (hehe), etc

etc, etc

Yes, he's past his best (let's see how by how much!) but biggest signing ever I'd say. 

When we signed Derek Hales ,Liverpool were in the chase for him ,Think Charlie Georgeb could have walked into most clubs at the time of signing him, so dispite Rooney being a bit of a coo  for us I think it is a bit disrespective  to some of the great players we have had in the last too suggest biggest signing ever. Not sure Any premiership teams would have been interested in him ,certainly not at the reported money he is on and as much as I would like him to be a revelation his sell by date has passed and I truly hope his use before date hasn't expired.?

Ravanelli financially sucked the very lifeblood out of this great club of ours.

He rarely played but drew a fat salary.

I would have been content to sit back and collect a fraction of what he got out of DCFC under the type of ironclad contract he must have negotiated. It certainly beat working for a living.

Jealous....me?

As he's been regarded as a football superstar. Then yes Rooney is the biggest signing the club as made.

If he  becomes a bigger influence on the team than Dave MacKay was. Then undoubtedly he will become a club legend and classed as our best signing.

Until he actually plays for us. We won't know if he'll be just remembered for just being our most famous signing or will be truly remembered as a great player, a  Ram's legend and a great signing.

I sincerely hope Wayne is remembered more for the latter.

8 hours ago, ram1964 said:

When we signed Derek Hales ,Liverpool were in the chase for him ,Think Charlie Georgeb could have walked into most clubs at the time of signing him, so dispite Rooney being a bit of a coo  for us I think it is a bit disrespective  to some of the great players we have had in the last too suggest biggest signing ever. Not sure Any premiership teams would have been interested in him ,certainly not at the reported money he is on and as much as I would like him to be a revelation his sell by date has passed and I truly hope his use before date hasn't expired.?

Absolutely no disrespect to previous signings at all and time will tell whether Rooney has the impact those players had but his record is better than any of our previous signings - fact. 

If we are now considering inspired signings  I will always consider this to be the work of a genius in recognising true genius and laying the foundation of a supersonic, meteoric change from mediocre to stratospheric....

DAVE M ACKAY!

No easy act to follow but WAYNE ROONEY...maybe, just maybe.
No pressure there then!

21 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Eranio was seen as quite a coup at the time and went on to be a great servant to the club.

Be useful now, does he still put on his boots occasionally?

Dont know if he puts his boots on but he does know how to put his foot in it.

Archived