Rooney is the biggest signing since Shilts 

Bigger

59 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Bigger than Charlie George...No.

Bigger than Franny Lee...No.

Bigger than Dave McKay...No.

Bigger than Toddy...No.

Bigger than Roy Mac...No.

I hope WR does well but for me he won’t replace the real greats that have worn the Ram. 

Who?

Rooney is the biggest signing since Bloomer MKII at the time of signing.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Rooney is the biggest signing since Shilts 

That I think is the only one which would be even close - Since he was the England keeper still at the time

However - We were in the 1st division at the time right? With a bit of money to spend? (relative) - So I'd suggest that this is a much bigger signing because of how much of a coup it is

You just beat me to it 

I think Eranio at the time was more exciting as was maybe Igor

Surprising I personally was very excited about Asa probably due to how good Igor had been.

I am prepared to be underwhelmed and hoping to be very wrong about Rooney

Edit

Just found this on his wiki page - says it all really 

His main attributes were his technique, pace, stamina, and his ability to make attacking runs. Although he was primarily an offensive or wide midfielder, he was also competent defensively, and he was occasionally deployed as a full-back.

Basically - can do everything in any position for a long time

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Bigger than Charlie George...No.

Bigger than Franny Lee...No.

Bigger than Dave McKay...No.

Bigger than Toddy...No.

Bigger than Roy Mac...No.

I hope WR does well but for me he won’t replace the real greats that have worn the Ram. 

??? He’s England’s record goal scorer ! Surely this signing is at least on a par with those names. Especially in an age of social media, and international coverage of matches from different leagues. Rooney has been one of the most famous football names of the last two decades internationally. Most football fans around the world would know him. 

46 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Ravanelli from what I remember had a terrible last few months but the start of one campaign he scored quite a few and finished our top scorer. It wasn’t his fault he had such a high wage. Always thought the negative thinking towards him by Derby fans is a bit unjust. 

I remember it as the great hope that season was all pinned on rava, and we went down fairly poorly.

season after was largely injured and ineffective (I remember hearing Graham Richards screaming "how much is he on?!" on radio Derby).

There then seemed to be stories of "ravaneli new money demands" time and again in the DET (although, with Hindsight, he probably was owed his wages not just being a sod.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If this replaces Hillsborough as my 'thing', then bring it on.

Tip for the future. Elaborate further when mentioning that Hillsborough is 'your thing'.

I'd much rather make people aware of knocking one out in their toilets than holding you responsible for the disaster. 

You hit the nail on the head there 'in terms of publicity'

Back in the day of Macfarland, Todd, Hector, even Igor, Eranio, Ravanelli, the publicity was not really a measure of a signing.

Hector had scored 50 goals in his last 50 games for Bradford park Avenue before signing for us but his social media presence on a global scale was nil, but that did not make him a bad signing.

Archived