Ravanelli OR Rooney?

Danelaw Rams

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think whoever put this deal together is getting enough praise, I’m knocked out Rooney has joined us and seeing him interviewed in a Derby training top is up there with my favourite Derby moments. Yeah he's getting on but I bet we see  a Rooney blockbuster that gets people off their seats before he’s done playing for us.

Ravanelli was a marquee signing, intended to lead our frontline, Rooney is a coup for a championship side but who knows where he will fit in. 

Ravanelli did well at Boro in a struggling side in this country, moved to Marseille where he had pretty much a 1 in 2 record, then went to Lazio and won the title there just prior to joining us.

Rooney I see as on the decline, he's moving from a far inferior league to serie a, and is dropping to the championship. Stats say he did better than I remember in his second spell at Everton, but he definitely went out with a whimper.  He did well in the States but so what really.

So for me Ravanelli was the bigger signing.

Who will history remember as the better player? Well definitely Rooney in England because he achieved a lot here.

Who will Derby fans remember as a better player? As it's already forgotten Ravanelli got 1 in 3 in a top flight relegation season, and despite the fact Rooney may well never play (regular) top flight football for us, I think the answer is obvious.

Fair to say also I expect Rooney to make us money, Ravanelli seemed only to drain us.

Archived