Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Got to feel sorry for Cocu, the atmosphere at the club must stink at the moment and none of it is his doing.  Must wonder what he’s got himself into.

He probably didn't organise the "team building" night out, but he did pick the team (I think?) that lost at Forest to create the space in the club's calendar for the event to go ahead. I suppose we could go all the way back to the Wembley Play Off against Q.P.R and start blaming whoever from there..........oh hang on.....

So I wonder who's idea it was for the night out and who's idea it was to allow the players to have a few drinks etc, that led to some choosing to have more than a few..........and sadly therefore having to reach this current situation.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all a bit tragic, regarding the ending of a guys career. Without being involved in the conversation between the club and Keogh, the tone of it etc. it's difficult to even speculate. It's possible that Keogh has had some potentially bad advice (agent, maybe ?) and made a decision without thinking it through, discussing with others.

Really do agree with many posters, that for all concerned, the other culprits Bennett and Lawrence should be offloaded as soon as possible. Can we then perhaps move on ??

Regardless of everything else, this day is very sad if for nothing other than the finality of it.

I’m 25, had a season ticket since I was 6, so I’ve seen him play more than any other Derby player. I’ve never known a player be so consistent in their availability. For many my age - he is Derby County. His distinctive face, mannerisms and playing style defined an era. Maybe not a successful one, but certainly some excellent memories and some fantastic football.

That’s what we should’ve been talking about with Richard Keogh. He should have retired a happy man, with a full testimonial in front of the kids. He should be sat down with an ancient Colin Gibson on Rams TV meets in 15 years’ time. We should’ve been debating in the pub with our mates what could’ve been with our rose-tinted spectacles...

All those games, all those memories, now pale into insignificance. This is what we will remember him for. Knowing the end, it’s tainted many of the memories when I look back now.

I love a good redemption story in sport. Today’s very unfortunate because we will never get one with Richard Keogh.

“The club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute. The club will be making no further comment at this time regards this matter until the conclusion of any potential appeal.”

How does any of the above not equally relate to Lawrence and Bennett? 

At least be honest and explain how the club is being sweaty and won't sack them because they're still worth something. 

On the face of it this looks harsh, but we need to remember a few things:

• we don’t know the full extent of The facts / Keoghs contract / his disciplinary hearing / the offer of a revised contract 

• the club have access to much better HR / legal advice than most ,if not all of us. 

• on a purely financial basis this seems to make sense. His career was effectively over before today’s events. All else is sentiment from a financial point of view.

For the record imho he was a good servant to the club, who performed well most of the time, but as a captain he was 50% of Rob Hindmarch RIP in terms of being a leader 

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Regardless of everything else, this day is very sad if for nothing other than the finality of it.

I’m 25, had a season ticket since I was 6, so I’ve seen him play more than any other Derby player. I’ve never known a player be so consistent in their availability. For many my age - he is Derby County. His distinctive face, mannerisms and playing style defined an era. Maybe not a successful one, but certainly some excellent memories and some fantastic football.

That’s what we should’ve been talking about with Richard Keogh. He should have retired a happy man, with a full testimonial in front of the kids. He should be sat down with an ancient Colin Gibson on Rams TV meets in 15 years’ time. We should’ve been debating in the pub with our mates what could’ve been with our rose-tinted spectacles...

All those games, all those memories, now pale into insignificance. This is what we will remember him for. Knowing the end, it’s tainted many of the memories when I look back now.

I love a good redemption story in sport. Today’s very unfortunate because we will never get one with Richard Keogh.

Never say never - Shane Nicholson was the very last person you would have expected to be a senior figure in the club's media profile.

I also wonder how the news that Lee Camp is joining in January to replace Kelle Roos will go down.

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Look up the grounds for discrimination claims in employment then tell me which one applies. 

It could be inferred that Keogh was discriminated against regards his disability to be able to play as a footballer to wit his long term injury thereby making him a worthless asset whereby his colleagues even though they also committed acts of gross misconduct were not 

4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

"This is what we will remember him for" - this and one other famous moment I reckon. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

No because the 3 cases were not dealt with a consistent manner 

All 3 cases different. We are not aware of the full facts of what happened the club probably are. We are not aware of the contractual obligations of the 3 . So it’s difficult for any of us to 2nd guess why and if or not they have been dealt with consistently . Not a lot can be said by the club until or if RK appeals . 
If it goes to court then we may find out why but I can’t see why the would sack RK without good reason and he had apparently been given the opportunity not to be sacked which he has declined .  Best wait for the facts before we all start making assumptions  

2 minutes ago, Whitley ram said:

on a purely financial basis this seems to make sense. His career was effectively over before today’s events. All else is sentiment from a financial point of view.

This is basically it. The club aren't saying that though... they're making out like it's a moral thing and that they won't "tolerate" such actions, which makes them look like a bunch of ducking hypocritical Bamfords when you take the Lawrence/Bennett situation in to account in your thinking tbh. 

4 minutes ago, GadFly said:

How does any of the above not equally relate to Lawrence and Bennett? 

At least be honest and explain how the club is being sweaty and won't sack them because they're still worth something. 

Really ? You would have to give Bennett away.

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Never say never - Shane Nicholson was the very last person you would have expected to be a senior figure in the club's media profile.

I also wonder how the news that Lee Camp is joining in January to replace Kelle Roos will go down.

If Campy can down at least 3 Peroni and not wrap his motor around a lamp post then I'd welcome him.

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

That argument only works if the offence is the same. 

Not true. All have been found of gross misconduct. This is the same offence regardless of whether it be stealing, vandalism, fighting etc etc all are classified as gross misconduct. You do not get dismissed for fighting you get dismissed as fighting is categorised as gross misconduct.

Trying to defend this decision reeks of tribalistic politics tbh. It's like Liverpool fans defending Suarez for his racism or biting opponents simply because he was THEIR player at the time. Forget the club for a second in your thinking, imagine it was another clubs players, Forest's even, and the whole thing looks a hell of a lot different ... from the perspective of what's morally right/fair/just this is absolute bullcrap, and Lawrence/Bennett should be sacked too if Keogh has been shown the door. 

Archived