Can Cocu Do It?

AndyB

8 minutes ago, Jayram said:

But where are the signs of improvement? A two week break and we have gone back to a Brentford type performance. Not once this season can we say we have bossed a game or created a hatful of chances etc. The players don’t seem to understand what they are supposed to do. The football is tedious, unproductive and we are going backwards. 

Pep is his first season had difficulty implementing the style he wanted to play, Koop as well. Both of them had quality players at their disposal as well.

PC was left with a squad that only just managed to finish 6th last year. Let’s forget the two international loans he lost, the ones that left because they didn’t want to resign for the club, the international defender he has lost through injury, the off field issues he has to deal with and a recruitment window that brought in sub standard players to patch these gaps.  

Instead let’s sack him,  bring in another manager that will have exactly the same problems rather than give him time to see if he is up to the job once he gets the players he wants....makes sense ?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

His first footballing managerial experience in this country.

Joins the club late in pre season

The pre season arranged before he joined was not suitable.

Injuries. Bogle. Holmes. Marriott. Evans. Huddlestone. Keogh..

The recent after hours event. Losing the  captain and our most consistent player for the whole season.

Being left with a team that only just made the play offs last season despite having 3 superb loans.

I am not going to say Cocu has got it all right so far. But you have to take the above into account as none of that is his fault. Would be nice for him to have a run where he can pick a consistent side.

Our first ever foreign manager. Give him time and respect. 

+1

Its been 10 minutes!

Maybe Derby could do wonders if it didnt chop and change managers. Ive had infections longer than some managers have served. With what he has had to deal with, injuries, drinkie drinkie vroom vroom crash we should give him time. We are not performing. 

I

Hopefully this is not the slippery slope.

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

I’m a big believer in giving managers time and not rushing into sackings. I would not have sacked any of the managers at the time they were sacked since Nigel Clough. However, I am now beginning to wonder if Cocu will be able to deliver in the English Championship. I haven’t given up yet but I’m not seeing the improvements I was expecting to see. I am all for him having two more transfer windows to generate his own squad but I’m not sure he gets the English Championship and what is required to succeed in it. I hope he proves me wrong.

Good thread.

I was going to back Rowett for another year so I’ve no issue giving PC the time.

Having said that I’ve not been to any games yet or parted with any time and money.

52 minutes ago, Rosythram said:

With out a doubt.

We need to stay calm and stick with him, he will come good and Derby County FC will become the envy of the football league.

Please let’s not implode.

Would like a pound for all these types of posts where the poster seems to be able to confirm the future with such certainty and the they fail to materialise. 
Instead of without a doubt, you should have used I hope. 

Personally I think Cocu is a good manager but he is seemingly not a good fit for the club at this time. He walked into a difficult job and the club's routine lack of planning, infrastructure and sound decision making has only exacerbated the problem.

Cocu needs time, but the fans' patience is already wearing thin after less than 15 competitive games in charge. That suggests that time is the one thing he probably won't get. I don't think we are a club geared towards giving a manager time. It runs right through the core of the club. From owner to players to fans.

I can see Wassall being installed as caretaker manager before Christmas until the end of the season.

We are struggling that's clear.. Players seem to have forgotten how to do the most basic things like pass a ball 10 yards to a team mate.. 

Is the system wrong? Are the players not putting a shift in? Has Cocu got more than one strategy to win a game?  Are a lot of the players not good enough? 

It's these questions that will be cleared up over time and ultimately decide whether Cocu was indeed the right man for the job. But one thing is for sure,  you don't start a long term project and keep dismantling it every 5 minutes. Cocu must be given time. 

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

20191019_183600.jpg

This doesn't prove Cocu will do this though, but it proves it can be done. Farke is probably the exception, rather than the rule.

Personally I think he should be given time, we've only lost 3 in the league, just drawn too many. His squad is worse than last season and the ever present captain is out for...a long time.

I think Cocu has been dealt a difficult hand.

Its painful. Immediately after games emotions are high. We have been rubbish but at some stage a large proportion of fans have wanted every manager i can remember out in spells

Even the wonderful Frank. He had a bad spell. The form at the end of the season & the game against leeds in the playoffs makes us look back with rose tinted glasses. There was a stage when a few wanted him gone

A few didn't want mac in the first place & then towards the end were willing to drive him to Newcastle ourselves. 

We were buzzing when Rowett went stoke but gutted at the thought when tge initially came in half way throughthe season 

Its just all a big overreaction. Cocu has inherited a load of overpaid rubbish. Im not excusing some of the decisions but give the man time. 

Cocu will surely be ringing every scout, pleading favours, looking to radically overhaul the team on a minimal budget - george burley style.

even bogle was sloppy and casual today. 

Hopefully we haven't blown our entire budget on wazza.

Archived