January's team

StarterForTen

I've been reading a few of the topics on the board this morning about Shinnie and also whether Bogle could be a right winger and it made me think of what our team MIGHT be from January, once HRH (His Rooney Highness) Prince Wayne is available for selection.

To get the best out of him I would have thought he needs to play off a front man, which realistically means playing two up top, and if we are going to do that, are we best playing three at the back? I actually think we have the players for it - as many other forum members have suggested of course.

So, from players we have now (plus Roonaldo) and we expect/hope to be fit by January 1st, how about...

Hamer*

Wisdom      Bielek      Clarke

Shinnie

Bogle         Holmes          Paterson       Lowe

Rooney     Martin

(* Named Hamer having never seen him play so just hoping that he's better than Roos is in current form)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d be surprised if we switched formation tbh, cocu seems quite rigid in at least starting with a 4231. We lack centre halves to rely on a three at the back anyway. Think it’s more likely Rooney will be deployed as a number ten somewhat like:

Hamer

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe

Bielik Shinnie

Holmes Rooney Paterson

Martin

18 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I've been reading a few of the topics on the board this morning about Shinnie and also whether Bogle could be a right winger and it made me think of what our team MIGHT be from January, once HRH (His Rooney Highness) Prince Wayne is available for selection.

To get the best out of him I would have thought he needs to play off a front man, which realistically means playing two up top, and if we are going to do that, are we best playing three at the back? I actually think we have the players for it - as many other forum members have suggested of course.

So, from players we have now (plus Roonaldo) and we expect/hope to be fit by January 1st, how about...

Hamer*

Shinnie

Rooney     Martin

(* Named Hamer having never seen him play so just hoping that he's better than Roos is in current form)

I reckon even Davies and Clarke are a faster combination than Rooney and Martin.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d be surprised if we switched formation tbh, cocu seems quite rigid in at least starting with a 4231. We lack centre halves to rely on a three at the back anyway. Think it’s more likely Rooney will be deployed as a number ten somewhat like:

Hamer

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe

Bielik Shinnie

Holmes Rooney Paterson

Martin

Exactly what I think the team will be except for Lowe (I would pick him, but I think Cocu prefers Malone). I agree RE Rooney - can't see him playing as a striker at this stage even in the Championship - creativity is exactly what we are missing in that part of the pitch, so expect that's where he will be. We'd have a pretty strong bench from an attacking perspective as well. Just wish we could field 13 players, so we could have Waggers and Marriott on as well.

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

I find it hard to question his form, especially from a statistical point of view. 
Roos made it into the whoscored team of the month for September. His two performances so far this month have been a 6.9 and 7.4, so he has a very good chance of being in the team of the month for a second time in a row. His season average of 6.79 isn’t too far off the best in the Championship (Woodman with 6.91).

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I find it hard to question his form, especially from a statistical point of view. 
Roos made it into the whoscored team of the month for September. His two performances so far this month have been a 6.9 and 7.4, so he has a very good chance of being in the team of the month for a second time in a row. His season average of 6.79 isn’t too far off the best in the Championship (Woodman with 6.91).

yes but hes a goalkeeper and he cant catch a ball. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I cannot understand this constant Roos bashing and in particular the sarcastic cheering when he catches high balls.

I think his general surety when handling an excessive number of back passes has been excellent.  The only times he's really failed with these has been from extremely poor passes in the first place and in the main he plays them well and finds a man - very difficult when some Derby players aren't showing for the ball.

He's a good shot stopper too.

His weakness in addressing high balls must be as apparent to the coaching team as to us and I am sure is something they are addressing in training. He's got a good punch on him and uses it if he's not sure and if we get behind him his confidence and decision making will grow.

Instead of which we get on his back and just make him more apprehensive - I think some of our fans are arrogant brain-dead morons and frankly, get what they deserve. 

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

I cannot understand this constant Roos bashing and in particular the sarcastic cheering when he catches high balls.

I think his general surety when handling an excessive number of back passes has been excellent.  The only times he's really failed with these has been from extremely poor passes in the first place and in the main he plays them well and finds a man - very difficult when some Derby players aren't showing for the ball.

His weakness in addressing high balls must be as apparent to the coaching team as to us and I am sure is something they are addressing in training. He's got a good punch on him and uses it if he's not sure and if we get behind him his confidence and decision making will grow.

Instead of which we get on his back and just make him more apprehensive - I think some of our fans are arrogant brain-dead morons and frankly, get what they deserve. 

Remember when the fans were number 12 or whatever it was... A part of the team. Sadly it seems the fans are currently a million miles from being part of the team.

For years the opposition have known how easy it is to get the crowd unsettled and create a nervous atmosphere. It is for the opposition crowd to make our players feel uncomfortable, not our own fans! Get behind the team and January onwards will be good.

57 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Exactly what I think the team will be except for Lowe (I would pick him, but I think Cocu prefers Malone). I agree RE Rooney - can't see him playing as a striker at this stage even in the Championship - creativity is exactly what we are missing in that part of the pitch, so expect that's where he will be. We'd have a pretty strong bench from an attacking perspective as well. Just wish we could field 13 players, so we could have Waggers and Marriott on as well.

Yeah I’d say he possibly does prefer Malone, though I do expect rotation there. It’s definitely the case that we have more quakity strikers than we do wingers and centre mids, but I can’t really see a way to fit them all in. Waggy will rotate as a starter on the wing/up front I’d think, and marriott will have to be a super sub.

Roos

Bogle Davies Clarke Malone 

Belick Shinnie 

Rooney 

waghorn martin Lawrence 

subs hamer lowe Marriott Bennett Huddlestone Wisdom Knight 

potentially a very good team with youngsters and Holmes and zoon to fill in 

3 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Hamer*

Shinnie

Rooney     Martin

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Hamer

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe

Bielik Shinnie

Holmes Rooney Paterson

Martin

I put it to you both that the two formations you have suggested differ so very little it's not even worth mentioning. In a 4231 Bogle and Lowe will still get forward and use the width of the pitch. Rooney will still be a second striker to Martin's set up play and Bielik will always drop in to the back to make a back 5 when we're defending.

In the 3142, Rooney will still join Martin up top. Paterson and Holmes will still support the wing backs and get wide.

When we talk formations, forget the numbers. It's all about the personnel and what specific instructions you give them and their particular strengths and weaknesses and philosophies on the game. The numbers take care of themselves.

32 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Roos

Belick Shinnie 

Rooney 

waghorn martin Lawrence 

So Holmes wouldn't even make the bench?

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yep, it's completely counter-intuitive. Ultimately, we want the side to do well but will quite happily add to the pressure the keeper is already visibly feeling...

2 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Hamer*

Shinnie

Rooney     Martin

Davies has been exemplary since he's come in so not sure why he's been dropped for Wisdom. Bielik and Shinnie look like they could be a formidable midfield combo but that's been broken up. And you put a keeper in you've never seen play...

For me:

Roos

Bogle       Clarke      Davies    Lowe

Shinnie               Bielik

Lawrence    Rooney    Holmes
                                 Martin

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Just watched the game back. Roos was fine.

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Roos

Belick Shinnie 

Rooney 

waghorn martin Lawrence 

No Holmes or Paterson even in the squad? No thank you.

Re: Rooney obviously making a lot of starting 11s. 

Am I the only one who thinks he may end up being used quite sparingly? Sure he will get plenty of minutes but I’m not sure he will be an automatic starter as surely it depends what condition he comes in.

Also I’m not sure what position I’d even put him in, or who I’d take out for him!

Archived