January's team

StarterForTen

7 hours ago, Tombo said:

I put it to you both that the two formations you have suggested differ so very little it's not even worth mentioning. In a 4231 Bogle and Lowe will still get forward and use the width of the pitch. Rooney will still be a second striker to Martin's set up play and Bielik will always drop in to the back to make a back 5 when we're defending.

In the 3142, Rooney will still join Martin up top. Paterson and Holmes will still support the wing backs and get wide.

When we talk formations, forget the numbers. It's all about the personnel and what specific instructions you give them and their particular strengths and weaknesses and philosophies on the game. The numbers take care of themselves.

Fair point, I like the way mines written better though ?

But, in all seriousness, your last point is a very important one. Formation =//  style of play. All about the tactics within the formation, not where the players are playing “on paper”.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, angieram said:

I cannot understand this constant Roos bashing and in particular the sarcastic cheering when he catches high balls.

I think his general surety when handling an excessive number of back passes has been excellent.  The only times he's really failed with these has been from extremely poor passes in the first place and in the main he plays them well and finds a man - very difficult when some Derby players aren't showing for the ball.

He's a good shot stopper too.

His weakness in addressing high balls must be as apparent to the coaching team as to us and I am sure is something they are addressing in training. He's got a good punch on him and uses it if he's not sure and if we get behind him his confidence and decision making will grow.

Instead of which we get on his back and just make him more apprehensive - I think some of our fans are arrogant brain-dead morons and frankly, get what they deserve. 

He doesn’t have a punch unfortunately, he needs an extra touch to control a back pass (regardless of whether the pass is warranted) and he can’t catch. His distribution can be ok and he’s a good shot stopper. He’s too timid and needs to really boss his area. Either grow a pair or ship out

9 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Summat like...

Roos

Bogle   Clarke    Bielik   Lowe

Van Ginkel   Shinnie   Rooney

Holmes   Waghorn   Paterson

Looks nice that does.

Davies has done nothing wrong at the back and Bielik is better off in midfield....

This is not a Roos bashing but I just think people are being honest that sadly he isn’t a top 6 championship keeper, but I doubt neither is Hamer. The constant sarcastic cheers don’t do Roos any favours.

Regarding Rooney, he will tell Phil when and where he will play me thinks. 

I have been wanting us to use this season to build the new young side and so - ironically - the injuries to keogh and huddz might actually benefit us because we will then have to change it.

roos

bogle.   Evans.  Bielik.   Lowe

.                   Shinnie

holmes.    Knight.   New 

Marriott.  Martin or waggy

roos deserves his chance. He exhibits a slight over exuberance. A tendency to slightly overdo it which reminds me of how we all used to feel when kicking a ball about. Mostly he's fine. There are occasional lapses when he could easily catch but doesn't. Its the curse of the modern keeper. Show them some videos of pat jennings. 

Bogle. The only rb who is comfortable on the ball. Still needs to work on his final ball.

lowe. I'm not a huge fan of lowe, but i like him enough to want us to try and develop him. He's improved. He needs someone to bllck him and raise his game. He can be too complacent but he might be bogle mk 2. I like buchnan too. Very unfairly dropped after brenford. He can push lowe all the way.

evans. Was terrific in a couple of cameos in the back four at the end of last season. So he deserves his opportunity ahead of a loanee. 

bielik. I know lots want him in holding midfield, but i don't want two holding players, so left sided cb it is.

shinnie. Why not. He showed that he's the best we've got in that position v luton. More mobile, and more tenacious than big tom with a varied passing range. He gives us more urgency. Potential captain.

marriott. Summats not right here. Too many injuries surely. But until we know what it is, then we should try and accommodate him up front. He has more to his game than scoring but he can't lead a one man attack. If we want him then he has to play in a two man strike partnership. So do it. Stop fretting about the loss of a midfielder, and start thinking about the goals he could score. He's a terrific finisher. If we aren't going to change shape to accommodate him, then sell him.

Paired with martyn or waggers. Either will do.

So three more in midfield.....holmes attacking right, knight central - tremendous prospect - and......and......We just haven't got a left footed attacking wideman. We need to buy to plug this gap.

we're short of squad depth but we do have forsyth, wisdom and davies. 

lets press, play high up the pitch and attack.  No more boring pragmatic defensive stuff.

So according to this, we already have a championship winning squad (once rooney joins), so we don’t need to do any business in January. So cocu doesn’t in fact need a couple of windows to get the team he wants, he’s already got it. He just doesn’t know it. And it just needs rooney as the cherry on top. 

I predict the starting 11 is going to be quite unpredictable by February, with at least a couple more new faces. 

I'm staggered that we can't find a formation to play our best finisher in.Having said that there are a few players that can't play 90 minutes on a regular basis .

May as well have a good clear out and get some reliable upgrades in , time to be ruthless IMO.

21 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d be surprised if we switched formation tbh, cocu seems quite rigid in at least starting with a 4231. We lack centre halves to rely on a three at the back anyway. Think it’s more likely Rooney will be deployed as a number ten somewhat like:

Hamer

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe

Bielik Shinnie

Holmes Rooney Paterson

Martin

Pretty much what I would have gone for although the keeper is totally interchangable as I am not sure either one is better than the other. Also with the added caveat that we dont sign anyone in January, I don't expect us to spend big but who knows any more? If you had told me in the summer we would drop up to 10 million on a single player I would have told you that you were mental.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

I have been wanting us to use this season to build the new young side and so - ironically - the injuries to keogh and huddz might actually benefit us because we will then have to change it.

roos

bogle.   Evans.  Bielik.   Lowe

.                   Shinnie

holmes.    Knight.   New 

Marriott.  Martin or waggy

roos deserves his chance. He exhibits a slight over exuberance. A tendency to slightly overdo it which reminds me of how we all used to feel when kicking a ball about. Mostly he's fine. There are occasional lapses when he could easily catch but doesn't. Its the curse of the modern keeper. Show them some videos of pat jennings. 

Bogle. The only rb who is comfortable on the ball. Still needs to work on his final ball.

lowe. I'm not a huge fan of lowe, but i like him enough to want us to try and develop him. He's improved. He needs someone to bllck him and raise his game. He can be too complacent but he might be bogle mk 2. I like buchnan too. Very unfairly dropped after brenford. He can push lowe all the way.

evans. Was terrific in a couple of cameos in the back four at the end of last season. So he deserves his opportunity ahead of a loanee. 

bielik. I know lots want him in holding midfield, but i don't want two holding players, so left sided cb it is.

shinnie. Why not. He showed that he's the best we've got in that position v luton. More mobile, and more tenacious than big tom with a varied passing range. He gives us more urgency. Potential captain.

marriott. Summats not right here. Too many injuries surely. But until we know what it is, then we should try and accommodate him up front. He has more to his game than scoring but he can't lead a one man attack. If we want him then he has to play in a two man strike partnership. So do it. Stop fretting about the loss of a midfielder, and start thinking about the goals he could score. He's a terrific finisher. If we aren't going to change shape to accommodate him, then sell him.

Paired with martyn or waggers. Either will do.

So three more in midfield.....holmes attacking right, knight central - tremendous prospect - and......and......We just haven't got a left footed attacking wideman. We need to buy to plug this gap.

we're short of squad depth but we do have forsyth, wisdom and davies. 

lets press, play high up the pitch and attack.  No more boring pragmatic defensive stuff.

Where would you play Rooney come January?

22 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Where would you play Rooney come January?

I don't see the 4-3-3 as the best formation to get the most out of Rooney. I imagine that he'll fit nicely in the number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 or perhaps as even part of a midfield three in a 5-3-2. Will be a interesting conundrum for Cocu.

I wonder if he'll be integrated into the team as slowly as Shinnie has been, or whether the economic pressures to play him right away will prove too much? 

Rooney.jpg

11 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Re: Rooney obviously making a lot of starting 11s. 

Am I the only one who thinks he may end up being used quite sparingly? Sure he will get plenty of minutes but I’m not sure he will be an automatic starter as surely it depends what condition he comes in.

Also I’m not sure what position I’d even put him in, or who I’d take out for him!

I doubt Mel has decided to fork out so much to pay Rooney’s wages just to see him sit on the bench (even if 32Red are reportedly paying most of it). Just due to the fact that he is Wayne Rooney I’m sure he will be a starter for us, regardless of whether he actually fits in with Cocu’s vision of the team. I don’t feel like he’s come to the championship to be a bit part player.

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I find it hard to question his form, especially from a statistical point of view. 
Roos made it into the whoscored team of the month for September. His two performances so far this month have been a 6.9 and 7.4, so he has a very good chance of being in the team of the month for a second time in a row. His season average of 6.79 isn’t too far off the best in the Championship (Woodman with 6.91).

Stats or not I see what I see and don't think he's good enough...I never worried so much when Carson was in goal...I'd never berate him or do what some idiots done on saturday because thats just wrong....but we need a new keeper IMO

15 minutes ago, desirelines said:

I don't see the 4-3-3 as the best formation to get the most out of Rooney. I imagine that he'll fit nicely in the number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 or perhaps as even part of a midfield three in a 5-3-2. Will be a interesting conundrum for Cocu.

I wonder if he'll be integrated into the team as slowly as Shinnie has been, or whether the economic pressures to play him right away will prove too much? 

Rooney.jpg

I like your 4231 side swapping Waghorn,Marriott or Lawrence with Paterson and Martin when necessary and hopefully a new winger would make a difference...but going forward we look very good in that side

Isn't paterson a loan until Jan? If we think Rooney is playing a 10 role and we all know how hard offloading players is. Do we realistically think patersons loan will be extended just for goodwill and further depth in that position. He's been good yes... But not a star player you abandon all financial or logical decisions for

Archived