Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

Thanks for all the France recommendations but we knocked the idea on the head shortly before all this quarantine talk came into effect as we couldn't afford the extra unpaid time off work.

Ended up doing an outdoorsy holiday to Scotland around the Cairngorms. Came back the day before all the flooding and the train crash, having stopped off at Stonehaven for a spot of dolphin watching on the way back the day before. Hadn't even heard of the place until then and the next day it's all over the news. 

We'd only ever been to Edinburgh before so 'proper' Scotland was a new adventure.  Really beautiful scenery and an ideal place to get away from any crowds. Basically Wales with the volume turned up to 11, better fish, less chips on shoulders and far fewer caravans clogging up the roads. Friendly folk who seemed happy to have English tourists darken their doors- not an "English go home" sign to be seen.

Maybe the trip to San Sebastian will happen next year.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/07/2020 at 14:12, Anag Ram said:

Apparently we have just booked a villa near Lindos for August 9th.

Which is nice. 

2398b69533fde807d3f451955b009a519b202e5a.jpg

Was more 

image.jpeg.425e6aec54d08ffb212d46d993720c77.jpeg

Nice!

Beautiful villa, infinity pool overlooking the sea.

Lindos is really nice with good restaurants. I love the Greek islands. 

Still time to book. Enjoy the sunshine, the people and the way of life.

45 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Careful mate, some local lockdowns affecting parts of Crete, around Chania I think, so you should be ok.

I’m expecting a midnight curfew. I know a few shady bars hidden away from the beaten track, but worst case scenario, no hangover and early nights and a better tan! 

Sith Happens
On 26/08/2020 at 13:43, Mostyn6 said:

Stalis, Crete. Next Friday. Can’t wait. 

I'm jealous,  we love the area,  so wish I was sat having a beer and lovely food at the taverna opposite Potomas beach right now. 

I've failed to persuade the missus that it's perfectly safe to fly to Portugal for a villa holiday. 

She suggested having a couple's spa day as an alternative FFS.

I can't imagine a more stressful way to spend a day tbh.

I bet they don't even let you take you own cans in.

6 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I've failed to persuade the missus that it's perfectly safe to fly to Portugal for a villa holiday. 

Your missus is more sensible than you. Though to be fair there is a lot of scope on that regard.   ?

25 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Shame. It sounds like (from reading Tripadvisor forum threads) that most Portuguese are being very sensible and mask wearing is only mandatory indoors and on transport (I think, I was going to check as we'd been looking at villas but decided they weren't quite what we wanted). 

On 29/08/2020 at 22:24, sage said:

I'm off to the Cotswolds for a long weekend on Friday. Stopping just outside Chipping Campden.

Never been before so any tips or advices are welcome.

Don't be tempted to go to Bourton on the Water unless you're happy to feel like you're actually in Beijing's nicest model village - place has been extremely busy recently. May be worth driving through I guess as is the quintessential posh English village.

Broadway Tower near a place called Middle Hill is a decent view and has a nice little cafe that's useful after a decent walk round there, plus a few other bits and bobs to take a look round, although not sure the nuclear bunker there would be open in Covid times. Is about a tenner to get in and to park.

21 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Don't be tempted to go to Bourton on the Water unless you're happy to feel like you're actually in Beijing's nicest model village - place has been extremely busy recently. May be worth driving through I guess as is the quintessential posh English village.

Broadway Tower near a place called Middle Hill is a decent view and has a nice little cafe that's useful after a decent walk round there, plus a few other bits and bobs to take a look round, although not sure the nuclear bunker there would be open in Covid times. Is about a tenner to get in and to park.

I presume under Covid there will be less Chinese tourists.

Ignore @JoetheRam's pleas to stay away from Bourton on the water... That precise model village was where I was gifted a handshake from a certain Mr Cocu, just minutes before the world was banned from ever shaking hands ever again eternally forever never (Well, you get the picture!)

It was such an honour to take with me into lockdown,  I haven't washed my right hand since!

#starstruckfanboy

On 29/08/2020 at 22:24, sage said:

I'm off to the Cotswolds for a long weekend on Friday. Stopping just outside Chipping Campden.

Never been before so any tips or advices are welcome.

There’s a nice craft workshop / gallery in chipping Camden (Sheep street - appropriately enough)

Indian restaurant / take away at the Maharaja / volunteer inn on lower high street

Good sandwich shop on lower high street opposite sheep street junction

bantam tea rooms was also good 

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Heading down to Poole for a week next Friday with the girlfriend.

Any suggestions on what to do/visit/where to eat would be much appreciated!

If you drive past Bournemouth, Hengistbury Head is lovely. Great walk down behind it to strip of sand and views across the water. Bournemouth beach is great too.

If you got west, Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door are definitely worth a visit if you not been there before. Corfe Castle good too. If you like driving further, Chesil beach is worth a look.

Again, if you not been to the New Forest before, worth a day out there too.

I don't think I've been to Sandbanks beach before but supposed to be nice.

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Heading down to Poole for a week next Friday with the girlfriend.

Any suggestions on what to do/visit/where to eat would be much appreciated!

@froggg lives nearby and will know most

If you have your car there is an amazing pub at Worth Matravers (south of Corfe Castle) and the Bankes Arms at Studland has an excellent beer garden overlooking the sea. steam train runs between Swanage and Corfe.  You can get a boat out to Brownsea Island. 

https://www.belgiumandblues.co.uk/ great place in Bournemouth, lots of micro pubs in Southbourne and Christchurch is you have a bus day.

If you go to New Forest, there is a Car Museum at Beaulieu and Bucklers Hard nearby is interesting. If you go to Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove (both great) you aten't far from the Tank Museum (if you have plenty of brownie points stacked up). 

On 29/08/2020 at 17:45, reverendo de duivel said:

Just an idea...

604D5731-2178-4250-A90F-7DB9E3274A6A.png

Archived