Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

Has anyone been to Biarritz/Aquitaine/Pays Basque? What's it like down that way, any recommendations?

Only previously been to France for the Euros and we did it all on trains and never ventured out west.

Thinking of driving through France with a couple (?) of stops on the way, end up in Biarritz for a few days and then back.

Never driven abroad before.

Anything I should know about driving in France other than the obvious?

Are the tolls worth paying?

Where best to stop over on the way?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Which airline if you dont mind me asking ?

Was Ryanair. Although they just announced that flights to Greece are back on, my email says it's on a reduced service and my flight didn't make the cut.

45 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Has anyone been to Biarritz/Aquitaine/Pays Basque? What's it like down that way, any recommendations?

Only previously been to France for the Euros and we did it all on trains and never ventured out west.

Thinking of driving through France with a couple (?) of stops on the way, end up in Biarritz for a few days and then back.

Never driven abroad before.

Anything I should know about driving in France other than the obvious?

Are the tolls worth paying?

Where best to stop over on the way?

When are you thinking of visiting Nouvelle Aquitaine - as it's now called ? If you're coming end of July / August , I wouldn't bother trying the coast , it will be packed , unless you like traffic jams and crowded beaches . Also remember the heat , it can be extreme , it was hotter than Greece here last year  !

South of Bordeaux , the Landes is flat and forested , A string of large lakes stretch inwards from the sea , north to south . These are good for swimming etc , shallow and sandy .

Biarritz is busy and quite expensive , just inland is the Basque country , which is another world ( and language) .

The coast between Royan and Biarritz has wonderful beaches , but the seas can be rough , it's a great surfing area .

Nothing to worry about driving in France , apart from the dreaded priorité à droite , and don't expect any indications at roundabouts - and the French have no idea what to do at a mini roundabout !

Tolls are worth it if you're driving a long way , there is very little M way traffic , and you can drive to Bordeaux from Caen in six hours . Where to stop , depends on your price range. B&B s (Chambre d'Hotes ) are plentiful , and usually in nicer places than chain hotels . Premier Classe hotels are always on the fringe of bigger cities , and are about 40 € per night for three people . 

If you want somewhere pretty to stay , you'll obviously have to get onto the B or even C roads .

Ps , I live an hour north of Bordeaux .

1 hour ago, Frogram said:

Would be mid/late September - Covid permitting. 

Thinking of staying around Caen or Le Mans overnight day 1, depending how far I can bear to drive in a day, which would just be in a Premier Inn equivalent. Would head south slightly inland after that, probably using the Tolls, stop in/around Bordeaux a couple of days then head further south after that on the small roads and stay in a B&B somewhere between there and Biarritz and just day trip around there.

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Was Ryanair. Although they just announced that flights to Greece are back on, my email says it's on a reduced service and my flight didn't make the cut.

Cheers for letting me know , I've got a flight in october booked to Athens but with Easyjet. Sorry to hear about your flight though ?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Thinking of staying around Caen or Le Mans overnight day 1, depending how far I can bear to drive in a day, which would just be in a Premier Inn equivalent. Would head south slightly inland after that, probably using the Tolls, stop in/around Bordeaux a couple of days then head further south after that on the small roads and stay in a B&B somewhere between there and Biarritz and just day trip around there.

Done loads of driving in France. If having an overnight stop we normally find a Campanile. Have you got a Tag for the toll roads? Saves all the messing around with cash and my wife (who is quite short) having to reach half way out the car to grab a ticket and pay.

On 07/07/2020 at 14:23, JoetheRam said:

It's a bit further but San Sebastian is amazing just over the border. If you are a Foodie you will be in heaven. Sheltered bay for swimming, spa for the missus, jumpers for goalposts

• 3 weeks later...

No holiday plans because of the covid stuff.

Had a week off for me 60th so have just had a quiet garden party for family and very close friends and a few day trips, with one overnight stop at a friends, and used the time to spend time with the grandkids.

Here are the results of some of the most salubrious places one could visit during these strange times.

Ingoldmells - poo, absolute madness, grey tracksuit heaven, sweaty, fat, yarkshar people who will happily blow virus's into your face then fight you for getting too close.

Dudley Zoo & Castle - ok actually, nice day out if you can cope with yam yam accents and the Wolverhampton ring road.

New Brighton - Liverpool on sea.....never been before but it was ok in a cheesy old school beach day out. Huge sand beach, clean, kids loved the paddling, sandcastle making, funfair and burying granddad in sand stuff. Fish & Chips on the sea wall, all good. Decent views over the Liverpool skyline to Anfield Stadium and down the Mersey to the Liver Bird building, the Liverpool Eye and Albert Dock.

Seein has we’re wanting to take the lad to Disney Land before he gets into his stroppy “This is for babies!” phase, we put aside going abroad this year, to put the dosh towards Florida for next year. But seeing as the orange one is even worse at handling COVID than Boris, it’s looking like it’ll be the year after at the earliest. 

So this year we booked a lodge on the edge of Bridlington Links golf course. Nice and quiet, plenty of space and loads of places nearby to indulge in some social distanced, masked up fun.  Providing the West Yorkshire lockdown doesn’t creep eastwards to the coast we’re there 2 weeks today

On 29/06/2020 at 21:06, G STAR RAM said:

Finally decided to bite the bullet and cancel my family holiday to Tenerife. 

Would not bother me going abroad but having two youngish kids it would be a nightmare getting over there and finding out there was nothing to do.

Instead I've booked a break at Tattershall Lakes in Lincolnshire, grateful for reviews if anyone has been.

The pro is if it is rubbish its only a short drive home, the con is it has cost me more for a week in England than it would do for 2 weeks in Tenerife ?

My brother went with a few other families, a couple of years ago. Plenty for everyone to do, and peace & quiet if you just want to chill out. Nice run in the car via Grantham as well

• 3 weeks later...

Only managed one long weekend of camping and a Mon-Fri at Tatershall Lakes Park in Lincolnshire - which was a nightmare due to the friends we went with constantly arguing.

That's probably it for this year, though we have a relative who has now spent their recent inheritance on both an appartment for them to live in, and a large villa for rental in Fuerteventura. Covid permitting, we're now aiming at February half term to go & stay in their place.

On 30/06/2020 at 14:47, G STAR RAM said:

Look forward to your holiday report although unfortunately it will come just after I have had to pay, so even if it is a dump just make some good stories up please. 

You been yet?.

Forgot to update this but if you haven't....book as much as you can in advance. Capacity is limited due to Covid, so all the activities are usually full up if you don't.

I wanted to go to Buenos Aires to celebrate my 30th, but the borders are closed.

So instead I spent six days in San Sebastián last week.

I would second @sage’s suggestion. It is an amazing city - three beaches, a small port with seafood restaurants, some lovely gardens and parks, an old town full of high quality bars and restaurants, cider houses outside the city, hiking trails, and so much more.

@JoetheRam If you are going in the direction of Bordeaux and Biarritz, you might as well drive the extra 50km and experience San Sebastián. It is easily one of the best cities in Spain.

08426922-C2F1-41DB-818D-AAB73F206F34.jpeg

B5ACD09B-EE77-4D4F-8558-363FAA8A216D.jpeg

66BEFAC2-3F15-47E1-B4EF-A3FC6E0C687D.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I wanted to go to Buenos Aires to celebrate my 30th, but the borders are closed.

So instead I spent six days in San Sebastián last week.

I would second @sage’s suggestion. It is an amazing city - three beaches, a small port with seafood restaurants, some lovely gardens and parks, an old town full of high quality bars and restaurants, cider houses outside the city, hiking trails, and so much more.

@JoetheRam If you are going in the direction of Bordeaux and Biarritz, you might as well drive the extra 50km and experience San Sebastián. It is easily one of the best cities in Spain.

08426922-C2F1-41DB-818D-AAB73F206F34.jpeg

B5ACD09B-EE77-4D4F-8558-363FAA8A216D.jpeg

66BEFAC2-3F15-47E1-B4EF-A3FC6E0C687D.jpeg

It is a great place. 

It is also possible to stop in Hendaye (last town in France before the border) where the accom is half the price and go into San Seb on the train a couple of times. You can also walk across the order to Irun, home of Real Union and hot spot for decent beer in Spain. 

49 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

You been yet?.

Forgot to update this but if you haven't....book as much as you can in advance. Capacity is limited due to Covid, so all the activities are usually full up if you don't.

Yes mate already been.

Nice place but didnt get many activities done as were all fully booked.

Would like to go again when things are back to normal.

5 minutes ago, sage said:

It is a great place. 

It is also possible to stop in Hendaye (last town in France before the border) where the accom is half the price and go into San Seb on the train a couple of times. You can also walk across the order to Irun, home of Real Union and hot spot for decent beer in Spain. 

Good suggestion, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

1 minute ago, sage said:

It is a great place. 

This is a good point actually. 

Accommodation in SS is very expensive compared to across the border in France.

I was able to book apartments in Bordeaux and Lyon for a similarly nightly price as a double room in SS.

But at the same time, it is a top class destination, so it’s not a surprise.

Just remember that if driving over, the tolls in Spain aren't part of your French Toll Tag, so you'll need to be prepared to pay at the gate (or get a Spanish Toll Tag, which isn't particularly worth it for a day trip!)  

I think it's something to do with Spain not being France, but I completely missed that first time we went over!  Doh!  ?

Archived