Lawrence up to 30 minutes in a game

Sparkle

12 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Not watched much football to be honest .

Was at the BBG when we put 4 by Real Madrid and 3  by Benfica so season ticket holder for over 46 years .

If you think Lawrence deserves is place in the team go to Specsavers and get checked out .

He's a Prima Donna !!!

So you've been watching football that long and you think Lawrence is the most overrated player in 46 years of football? I'm sorry but that is hilarious, with just a touch of ridiculous hyperbolic nonsense. 

I've had my eyes tested,  and the glasses I wear are the correct subscription, thank you for your concern

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I think there are a lot more overrated players to pull on a Rams shirt. 

Lest we forget Mick Pickering who had an England appearance 

A good job he had had a side hustle in M People.

Don't recall Mick Pickering every playing for us we did have a Nick Pickering who gained an England cap if that's who you allude to 

I keep reading that if he was consistent, he’d be playing in the premier league so get off his back. To me that’s nonsense, we can expect at least some consistently from our players. He’s supposed to be hitting his best years at his age but can anyone say he’s gotten better to when he first signed or is showing signs that he is going to improve? 

One of the reasons why so many loved the 13/14 and early part of the 14/15 season, is because our players were consistent and we knew what to expect from them every week, even players perceived to be inconsistent like Hendrick, were consistent back then. Players like Forsyth, Dawkins, Ward, Buxton, Russell, may not have been the most talented in the world, but we knew that they’d give their absolute all every darn week. I tell you one thing , there’s no way Clough Jr , Billy Davies or McClaren would have put up with players like Lawrence because they wanted players who played for the team. The reality is we will never get promoted with greedy players like Lawrence in his current form unless he adapts. How can a manager build a team when he doesn’t know what to expect from his player? He could have his rarer 7/10 days or his more frequent 4/10s. His poor form is affecting other players like Malone and getting them scapegoated because he provides no defensive support.  It may seem harsh but that’s the reality. Someone needs to sit this lad down and tell him he’s never going to be Ronaldo so stop trying to become a cheap imitation, become your own player.

He can start winning fans over and getting people off his back like myself by giving his absolute all every week, even when he doesn’t play well. His physical build is better than Ward’s, Russell’s and Ince’s yet they tried their best every week so he has no excuse. I guarantee people will get off his back if he starts grafting more, it will benefit his career in the long run.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Don't recall Mick Pickering every playing for us we did have a Nick Pickering who gained an England cap if that's who you allude to 

It was a joke, albeit a tad subtle/crap. You had to know I was aware of Nick and then to know I worked in the music scene and then to know there was a music producer called Mick Pickering who did indeed form M People around that time. I'll shut up now.

Cocu is said to generally improve players, here's hoping he can get more consistency from Lawrence, because the player needs it.  It's not enough to show PL quality once in a while but be league 1 standard at other times.  As it is, he's a liability most games IMO.

18 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Not watched much football to be honest .

Was at the BBG when we put 4 by Real Madrid and 3  by Benfica so season ticket holder for over 46 years .

If you think Lawrence deserves is place in the team go to Specsavers and get checked out .

He's a Prima Donna !!!

I can only assume you took a break at some point as,  in my opinion, just pulling one out of the air who was a bigger letdown and waste of money..bjorn otto bragstaad.

On 15/09/2019 at 11:20, Sexydadbod said:

I keep reading that if he was consistent, he’d be playing in the premier league so get off his back. To me that’s nonsense, we can expect at least some consistently from our players. He’s supposed to be hitting his best years at his age but can anyone say he’s gotten better to when he first signed or is showing signs that he is going to improve? 

One of the reasons why so many loved the 13/14 and early part of the 14/15 season, is because our players were consistent and we knew what to expect from them every week, even players perceived to be inconsistent like Hendrick, were consistent back then. Players like Forsyth, Dawkins, Ward, Buxton, Russell, may not have been the most talented in the world, but we knew that they’d give their absolute all every darn week. I tell you one thing , there’s no way Clough Jr , Billy Davies or McClaren would have put up with players like Lawrence because they wanted players who played for the team. The reality is we will never get promoted with greedy players like Lawrence in his current form unless he adapts. How can a manager build a team when he doesn’t know what to expect from his player? He could have his rarer 7/10 days or his more frequent 4/10s. His poor form is affecting other players like Malone and getting them scapegoated because he provides no defensive support.  It may seem harsh but that’s the reality. Someone needs to sit this lad down and tell him he’s never going to be Ronaldo so stop trying to become a cheap imitation, become your own player.

He can start winning fans over and getting people off his back like myself by giving his absolute all every week, even when he doesn’t play well. His physical build is better than Ward’s, Russell’s and Ince’s yet they tried their best every week so he has no excuse. I guarantee people will get off his back if he starts grafting more, it will benefit his career in the long run.

I completely agree on your point about Malone. Lawrence is one of the last players I'd want in front of me if I was at full back. There's a reason both Malone and Fozzy before him tend to look lost and bereft of ideas in possession and it's because more often than not there's a huge expanse of pitch in front of them without a single Derby player to pass to as Lawrence has wandered inside to a more central position. That's not to say Lawrence is always wrong to do this, a player who does nothing but hug the touchline is too predictable and easy to defend, but he needs to be out wide far more often than he is currently.

He annoyed me on Friday when he pulled a Tom Ince special on Duane Holmes. A Tom Ince special is when a player stands stock still out wide with a defender on him in the space the man on the ball wants to move into and flat out refuses to run in behind or make a decoy run because he doesn't trust his teammate. Admittedly it wasn't smart play from Holmes to run into Lawrence's space, but once this happened instead of dropping back or moving to create a passing option Lawrence just continued standing still as Holmes ran past him, looking incredulous that Holmes hadn't deigned to pass to the feet of the great Tom Lawrence.

I still think Lawrence is one of our better options in the advanced midfield positions, but he is undoubtedly one of our most frustrating players.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Don't get to go to games currently due to work and family coming first, so go off people's opinions and highlights/sky games. 

I don't believe there are bad players, just players that don't fit a style of play or playing at a level that exceeds there ability. 

If you look over Lawrence's career his only season of note, is his last season at Ipswich, where he got 9 goals and 11 assists and finished there top scorer but how many of those assists are from dead ball situations I don't know. But the strikers ahead of him were luke varney, Leon best, David mcgoldrick, Brett pitman and Freddie sears not prolific scorers themselves, but work to make openings for others (correct me if wrong). 

Looking at our strikers you have marriott who is a poacher, again if I'm wrong correct me and then Martin and waghorn who link up with others with waghorn also switching to go out wide. Which makes me think is Lawrence might be more suited to having a quick striker infront of him to make openings or darting runs for him to find and pass through on goal.

One thing I know which Alex Ferguson said in his autobiography and book leading is 'if I had to choose between someone who had great talent but was short on grit and desire, and another player who was good but had great determination and drive, I would always prefer the latter.' you guys watch more of his performances what would you say he goes into. 

I've defended Lawrence time and again, and have wanted him to come good and give us consistent performances over a good stretch of games, but I think I've lost my patience.  To go from Huddersfield to the performance he gave against Cardiff, you'd struggle to know it was the same player.  He's got all the technique to be a top player, but the footballing brain just isn't there. 

To give a bit of perspective, imagine if this kind of form came from Tom Ince?  I don't, for one second believe so many would've been willing to cut him so much slack...

• 3 months later...

Archived