Lawrence up to 30 minutes in a game

Sparkle

Lawrence is the same player still that he’s always been, a bang average player that pops up with the odd goal every now and then which keeps giving people hope. He really hasn’t progressed at all since he joined us. He’s not absolutely awful as some may have you think when he’s up for it, but when he’s not on his game he just doesn’t offer anywhere near enough on the pitch. Wastes possession far too much and has a poor work rate. His occasional moments of magic make it up for it a little, but not enough for me. We can’t afford to carry a player like him 80% of the time like we aren’t doing. He ain’t good enough for where we want to go.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season he has impressed for 30 mins in game 1 at Huddersfield, & for a couple of games after he was reinstated after boozegate.

Beyond that nothing really, he's just getting in the way of one of our academy players i'm afraid

As for all Derby players I want him to succeed but it's just not going to happen

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Lawrence is the same player still that he’s always been, a bang average player that pops up with the odd goal every now and then which keeps giving people hope. He really hasn’t progressed at all since he joined us. He’s not absolutely awful as some may have you think when he’s up for it, but when he’s not on his game he just doesn’t offer anywhere near enough on the pitch. Wastes possession far too much and has a poor work rate. His occasional moments of magic make it up for it a little, but not enough for me. We can’t afford to carry a player like him 80% of the time like we aren’t doing. He ain’t good enough for where we want to go.

absolutely spot on

13 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

This season he has impressed for 30 mins in game 1 at Huddersfield, & for a couple of games after he was reinstated after boozegate.

I just don't get how he can put in some really good performances and then does absolutely nothing for the next few weeks. Just doesn't make sense to me.

This game showed us what he can do. He got really involved and had a positive influence on the game, willing to beat defenders. Doing what he is good at. Check 5:05

After all this time and I’m still not really sure what he is. In his early days he looked like a better version of Ward. Then like an out and out crosser. Then he showed glimpses as a #10/SS, in Vydra’s mould but not as good. 

Perhaps he’s one of those wingers who just needs freedom which he’s never really had with us. Ince has been just as bad at Stoke and was pretty average for us under Clement, Rowett and Pearson (even under Wassall, playing on the opposite wing, Ince looked brilliant as he had freedom).

He has gone through a traumatic time losing his mum and no doubt in the time before, so just like people struggling to get out of bed in tbe morning, has he fell out of love with football? 

13 minutes ago, goldstar said:

He has gone through a traumatic time losing his mum and no doubt in the time before, so just like people struggling to get out of bed in tbe morning, has he fell out of love with football? 

I lost my Mum nineteen years ago and it can still hit me like a ton of bricks sometimes. I genuinely hope the lad is ok, I’m sure the club psychologist must have spent time with him. I cannot believe he doesn’t want to play sublime football week in week out and be a consistently good player. Not just Tom, any player at any club, can suffer vitriolic comments that do no one any good. It’s your team and it’s frustrating beyond words at times when said player doesn’t perform on the day and yes earning thousands every week carries responsibility with it. I’ll never boo any player in a white shirt, for the greater good and hopefully a run of results to get our team at least a sniff of the Play Offs, lets get behind the eleven players out there representing DCFC.

I'm really sorry to hear that, i know there's no magic cure for the hurt, you just have to try and muddle through. 

I think the same, but then i factor in the general abuse he receives (whole lot more than most and more vindictive), the driving incident and i do admire him for getting out of bed in the morning. Before i would argue that 'well he's happy to take the money' but wouldn't everyone? And he must feel more pressure now to provide for his family. 

I really hope he goes on to break through this and excel. It would be heart warming to see. 

23 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree with this description but I think it is missing one vital ingredient.

The odd goal or flash of brilliance you speak of does more than just give people hope, imho it adds to Mr Lawrence believing a little bit more in his own brilliance and his confidence comes across to much as arrogance to me.

I am not against confidence, over confidence or even arrogance if it can be backed up.

24 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I agree with this description but I think it is missing one vital ingredient.

The odd goal or flash of brilliance you speak of does more than just give people hope, imho it adds to Mr Lawrence believing a little bit more in his own brilliance and his confidence comes across to much as arrogance to me.

I am not against confidence, over confidence or even arrogance if it can be backed up.

Indeed, Lawrence plays like he’s Ronaldo with the actual ability of Ben Davies. So so greedy.

5 hours ago, goldstar said:

This.

If true then surely it should have been flagged up by now, Lawrence is out there most days training, Lawrence should/could be having counseling sessions, DCFC are on record saying after Lampostgate that they will make all efforts to help Lawrence through this traumatic time.

It makes no sense to me if the above is true that Cocu thinks/hopes Lawrence can get through this, This is where strength of charecter comes into play, Not knowing of Lawrences time away from football, If he has family support, If he has that special social circle(no jokes about drinking please), Or he could just be the type of human being that does what the hell he wants and screw the rest of the world.

Talent should be used and not wasted.

time for him to move on, its not working for us and himself. came on high exceptions from a one season at Ipswich. he has scored more goals at Derby than all his Leicester and loans put together. 

from day 1 to now his attitude has been on questioned and his lack of work rate have been discussed as so of many of the clubs he has played for. 

some of the time he has been a scape goat to blame all derbys problems and even on Saturday when Lawrence loses the ball by over trying and not passing the shouts of welsh bar steward why dosent he just duck off (assuming it wasn't me they shouting at mind ? ) this is a regular abuse when other players have been far worse. 

again for me its time to go and few more with him

1 hour ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

This.

If true then surely it should have been flagged up by now, Lawrence is out there most days training, Lawrence should/could be having counseling sessions, DCFC are on record saying after Lampostgate that they will make all efforts to help Lawrence through this traumatic time.

It makes no sense to me if the above is true that Cocu thinks/hopes Lawrence can get through this, This is where strength of charecter comes into play, Not knowing of Lawrences time away from football, If he has family support, If he has that special social circle(no jokes about drinking please), Or he could just be the type of human being that does what the hell he wants and screw the rest of the world.

Talent should be used and not wasted.

I'd like to think that he has expressed to them that keeping busy is the best route for him to take and thats why Cocu is persisting with playing him and it will all click into place. 

The Derby post on Instagram wishing him happy birthday has disgusted me. There's multiple directed messages at him with full on abuse. Sometimes there's more to life than football, its this man's first birthday without his mum, and theres absolute Bamfords sticking the boot in. Does my ducking head in. 

He offers something different to any of the forwards we currently have - Every player we own has strengths and weaknesses - For some reason Lawrence's just annoy some people more than others

Is he the best player we have? No

Is he the most expensive player we have? No

Is he a decent option to have? Yes

Would he strengthen an opponent if we sold him? Yes

I'm currently a supporter of what Cocu is trying to do with this squad - The games against Charlton and Barnsley started to show glimpses of the organisation, resilience and attacking play he wants from the side - So if he wants to pick Lawrence I'm gonna support that

And the most important question:

Do we really want to spend money replacing him when we have shortfalls in other areas? For me a solid No

Archived