Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

1 minute ago, Remy the hare said:

Am I the only person who cannot get excited in this nonsense PR stunt?

What salary will he be on?

How will his effective the squad?

He will be 34 in October, 18 month contract from Jan 2020 (ending summer 2022), so making him 36 at the end.

Depending on the contract, I cant see us benefitting or this ending well for us.

Rumoured to be 80k a week. So the total cost is around 6.2 million for his time here (10 million if he stays the additional year). There's suggestions he could probably end up making us more money than he'll cost through new commercial opportunities and we've seen 1 of those already with the brand new record-breaking sponsorship deal from 32-red.

I'm not a player so I can't tell what many of them are thinking, but if it were me I'd be thrilled to be able to play alongside a legend of the game. You hear players who sign for Barcelona regularly speak of how they can't wait to be Messi's teammate. Sure, Rooney isn't on Messi's level, but he's an English football legend and I'm sure the players can't wait to have him as a teammate.

He will be 34 in October, 18 month contract from Jan 2020 (ending summer 2022), so making him 36 at the end.

I could find plenty of examples of ageing players having a huge impact in helping teams win promotion. Glenn Murray is still cutting it in the Prem so why can't 1 of the best English players ever manage to perform well in the Championship at that age? Pablo Hernandez is probably the best player in the league currently and he's older than Rooney, so I wouldn't write him off just yet because of his age.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Depending on the contract, I cant see us benefitting or this ending well for us.

Having another one of our countries modern greats cut their coaching teeth with us, whilst still offering something to the first team when we have our usual new year slump and help

... Yeah... Nonsense?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Generating extra revenue for the club to invest in the team, I'd take that. His wages are more than likely going to be covered by extra sponsorship.

Brilliant addition, the man could be 40 and still be better than most of our current squad. We're lucky to have him.

13 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Not exactly on the same level but I was playing for a team that signed Phil Gee for a short period.  Trust me when i say, everybody stepped up there game...

PR FC, the team for me.

I don’t like this move whatsoever. I think we are in danger of having it blow up in our faces.

Rooney and Keogh lifting the play off final trophy together at Wembley in May is the only way we can come out of this with any credibility.

Anything less and we will be a laughing stock.

17 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

The whole team will be fighting for their places to establish themselves for the new manager, no one will really be sure they are a first pick just yet. Just as that would seem to be settled later by Christmas you have the best player at the club, arguably in all positions too, joining.

Additionally, if you were a player of their age growing up cheering the England team here is your chance to play beside one of your heroes. I can see that being a mighty motivation to ensure you are performing at the very highest you can achieve so you don’t miss your chance.

Then, once he is here, you have an elite world class mentality (maybe not ability now days) training hard and giving it his all. That won’t hurt!

16 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

It could well be a PR stunt as MM as already said we have been offered a record breaking shirt deal on the back of it

Lets say he as one great season with us and moves in to coaching we still get the sponsor money to improve the squad again,its a win win for me get on board we have never had it so good

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

PR FC, the team for me.

I don’t like this move whatsoever. I think we are in danger of having it blow up in our faces.

Rooney and Keogh lifting the play off final trophy together at Wembley in May is the only way we can come out of this with any credibility.

We'll just win the league mate. duck the playoffs. Bunch of unnecessary stress.

Although, I would also like to add that I disagree with you entirely.

22 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Think you need to check your maths ?

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

PR FC, the team for me.

Anything less than promotion and we'll be a laughing stock?

Careful not to knock yourself out with that violent knee jerk you have going on.

27 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Nice one?

1)If he's taken by man u we get compo for the next superstar (we get one every 12 months now)

2)red 32 are clearly paying  for most if not all of his wage bill.

3) even if he was 52 he would still be better than most championship strikers (apart from Chris Martin obviously)

4) it's bloody wayne Rooney.

5)the extra dosh we will receive in terms of exposure,endorsements,kit sales etc will be ridiculous.

6)it's bloody Wayne Rooney

7)the knowledge he can pass on with the rest of the squad will be immense

8)it's bloody Wayne Rooney

9)looking forwards to a pint with him and Colleen in the sir John Warren in ilkeston when they go for their buy one get one free Sunday dinner...(none of this duffield nonsense for the Rooney's,he knows value when he sees it)

10)it's bloody Wayne Rooney!

Archived