Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Dude. Enjoy the ride. We've just signed WAYNE ROONEY!!!! Let your inner child fan out for a bit

Who says I won’t enjoy it?

If Rooney comes in and bags 10 goals and 10 assists and transforms the team’s fortunes, I am not going to sit with my arms crossed and a frown on my face, am I?

But let’s call a spade a spade.

PS. as a kid, Wanchope was my hero.

Possibly the most surreal 24 hours I've ever had as a Derby fan 

Massive credit to Mel for this - in the modern media-savvy world, he pulls out something so high profile as to even top Lampard's appointment. Like others have said, shirt sales and increased sponsorship will make this very attractive financially. FFP be damned.

Very intrigued to see where he fits in our team. He was a number 10 (which we don't play really) but played a lot of his later career sat deeper in midfield pulling the strings - almost a more mobile Huddlestone. Haven't watched him play for DC United other than odd highlight so don't know where they had him playing. Bielik and Rooney sat in front of our back 4 sounds ridiculously good at this level though.

The kids in our academy must be absolutely thrilled with the prospect of working with him - there's going to be a queue of parents wanting their talented kids to join Derby. The snowball effect is gathering pace..

I was on here earlier suggesting there are some potential negatives associated with this move, but now it’s been done you just have to sit back, smile and enjoy the ride.  

Might end up as a disaster, but honestly who cares? It’s only football and it will be fun for a while.  If other clubs don’t like it, or laugh at us if we don’t go up, honestly who gives a poo?

If it’s a PR stunt to raise the profile of the club, so what!?  Does anybody think this was exactly the motivation behind DC United signing him in the first place?  If it bring us some additional money in then great (yeah, but it’s a betting company... and?... a company selling a product that isn’t illegal and, as far as I know, doesn’t force anybody to use it).

At the end of the day, whatever happens, signing Wayne Rooney under Philip Cocu has to be more interesting than a lot of what has gone before.  

43 minutes ago, David said:

I’m saying nothing. I do believe we was a tag team defending him at the time though.

Absolute legend of the game, about time he got a move to a big club.

Yep I think you might be right.... best ever English striker is now going to be playing for little old Derby....!!

Has there ever been a more exciting start to a season...? (put us down for a 0-1 defeat on Saturday...banker.

4 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I was on here earlier suggesting there are some potential negatives associated with this move, but now it’s been done you just have to sit back, smile and enjoy the ride.  

Might end up as a disaster, but honestly who cares? It’s only football and it will be fun for a while.  If other clubs don’t like it, or laugh at us if we don’t go up, honestly who gives a poo?

If it’s a PR stunt to raise the profile of the club, so what!?  Does anybody think this was exactly the motivation behind DC United signing him in the first place?  If it bring us some additional money in then great (yeah, but it’s a betting company... and?... a company selling a product that isn’t illegal and, as far as I know, doesn’t force anybody to use it).

At the end of the day, whatever happens, signing Wayne Rooney under Philip Cocu has to be more interesting than a lot of what has gone before.  

This.... ???Philip Cocu sat next to Wayne Rooney in Derby colours... Who'd have thought it 10 years ago! 

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep I think you might be right.... best ever English striker is now going to be playing for little old Derby....!!

Has there ever been a more exciting start to a season...? (put us down for a 0-1 defeat on Saturday...banker.

There has to be some stutters in the first half of the season; otherwise they'll be no drama when Rooney joins up and we win every game ? 

It wouldn't surprise me if Rooney took a bit of a paycut, we're paying a portion of it, and also the sponsor is doing it's bit. But Mel specifically mentioned Rooney's foundation and how the sponsors want to "leverage more of that", which reminds me of when Beckham was at PSG, where he played for effectively for free but his wages were paid to his charitable foundation instead... Bit of a guess, but it could be we're paying him a reduced wage and then the sponsors are making the rest up by donating to his foundation?

PR wise, very good transfer

Playing wise Im not so sure but prepared to look on the brightside. He will offer something that the club hasnt got currently which is definite class. 

The shirt sales thing could be a bit of a red herring. Its estimated that the big clubs get circa 10 - 15% of shirt sales revenue, and most people who buy a shirt will do anyway, so the 'additional' volume of sales sometimes isnt much. Every little helps I suppose. However, perhaps Derby have a different deal with Umbro. 

I guess all the numbers will come out in the wash eventually, the best way for Wayne to pay his way is to get promotion this season. 

Now lets get Tevez and Ronaldo and we'll get the old gang back together - in all seriousness though those three up front has to go down as the best front three combo since the turn of the century in the premier league. Annnddd we have 1/3 of it! 

2 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

PR wise, very good transfer

Playing wise Im not so sure but prepared to look on the brightside. He will offer something that the club hasnt got currently which is definite class. 

The shirt sales thing could be a bit of a red herring. Its estimated that the big clubs get circa 10 - 15% of shirt sales revenue, and most people who buy a shirt will do anyway, so the 'additional' volume of sales sometimes isnt much. Every little helps I suppose. However, perhaps Derby have a different deal with Umbro. 

I guess all the numbers will come out in the wash eventually, the best way for Wayne to pay his way is to get promotion this season. 

I usually buy them reduced in jan/Feb time, yet have just ordered a Rooney 32 shirt at 62 quid odd,reckon they'll be a fair few extra ones

20 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Anyone with any doubt about Mel's intentions for this club, this should remove the last of them.

Signs Rooney, signs new Sponsorship deal, 32 is the magic number.

32 wins, 10 draws, 4 straight defeats to end the season when the entire squad go on the piss after Easter.

Mel Morris just said that this signing will actually be a net benefit to the club financially, we will earn more from additional sponsors, shirt sales, ticket sales etc than he will cost. If he is correct, then it is a masterstroke. We may be getting paid to have Wayne Rooney at our club. Incredible. 

Archived