Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I feel like the main reason he is agreeing today and being unveiled to the media even though he isnt playing until January is purely a pr stunt to generate revenue and hype etc before he joins , all about money

You just can't win with some people. Once it became known he was looking to come to Derby and didn't sign until January that would have given other teams the chance to approach him, then if had gone elsewhere you would be moaning that we didn't tie him down with a contract when we had the chance in August.

Money,that's what runs football nowadays more than ever and it's a brilliant PR stunt. Sponsors/backers wanting to get on board before he actually starts playing bringing much needed revenue into the club.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Mel Morris: "We will mainly be using the loan market in this window"

Also Mel Morris: *signs Bielik and Rooney*

Mel Morris should be herein known as Poker face...... next Lady Ga Ga will be making a song about him.

When Beckham signed for Madrid, they'd paid for the fee in shirt sales in less than a week. 

Aging though he may be, we as a second tier club have just signed England's highest scoring champions league player ever, think on that.

Everyone, me included was happy when an aging Nuge signed, sage heads nodded felt his guile and scoring record would add something, it did for a while. It was a good deal for everyone. I loved Nuge, he lost his touch in his last months but was a sound signing when you look at it from a distance.

Nuge was a 1980's XR3i Turbo 

But this isn't about Nuge, its about Rooney ? for sausage sake ….. We've just bought a Ferrari 

Out of date ?  pffft pass me the keys and fire it up. 

43 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Scores the winner from just before halfway line in the 93rd minute ?? 

Don’t stop there....whilst simultaneously all but guarantee’s automatic promotion..

Sod all the doubters and green eyed gumps, blow up bielsa girls and Steve Gibson.... football is all about daring to dream. That’s why we turn up start of every season.

This has the hallmarks of the boost my old man reckoned Mackay gave us, or Stimac to a lesser extent. We have a talisman coming in January; no post Christmas meltdown this year!

2 minutes ago, David said:

I hope that 32Red on the back of the shirt is for the sake of this photo and isn't going to be on new replica shirts bought.

I suspect I'm going to be disappointed and this is part of the new Sponsorship deal. However, if it's bringing in the money, paying for superstars to sign and helps us move towards finally getting out this league then who am I to complain

Just watched a youtube reel of Rooney's best goals and it reminded me he is a great finisher.

I imagine his fitness is still good, but my god if we just utilise him in a way to get him in a bit of space on the edge of the box he will be lethal.

Double figures between January and May.

Can only be a good thing him working with our midfielders and forwards too.

In the past few years particularly Mel has really found his footing, and taken a club that has had its fair share of shambolic episodes in the past few decades, to a team that is talked up and profiled in a much more positive and respected way. Whether on the pitch, off it, or behind the scenes he is creating a great foundation for this team to reach the top flight and stay there.

There will not be one player with a choice of clubs in this division over the next few days who doesn't choose us.

Longer term I also imagine Rooney will have pull with certain players - could be very useful in that eventual first Premier League season to have a few Ex England internationals/United players scattered throughout the side.

18 minutes ago, jono said:

But this isn't about Nuge, its about Rooney ? for sausage sake ….. We've just bought a Ferrari 

Out of date ?  pffft pass me the keys and fire it up. 

Might not run as fast, or as often as the latest model - But a Testarossa on your drive is going to be the envy of the neighbours and give you a little tingle in your crotch when you take it out for a spin

49 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Do you not think we have put a target on our backs now we are Wayne Rooney’s Derby County?

Do you not think we have ramped up expectations?

How can this be viewed as a success if we don’t get promoted?

In order to achieve success you need good players and a good manager to keep them motivated.

Rooney is CLASS, even at the grand old age of 33 he'll be the best player in this league.

As has already been proven he'll also raise the profile of the club Worldwide, every Man U fan in the World will be keeping an eye on our results just to see how he gets on. (Admittedly nobody in Manchester will notice..) This added publicity will mean that more sponsors will want to be associated with us meaning we get more money into the Club.

More money in the club means we can get better players who will also think that playing alongside Rooney is exciting and encourage them to sign.

Plus he'll score a hat-full of goals, set up more and fire us into the Premier League. 

It's a magnificent signing full stop.

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Don’t stop there....whilst simultaneously all but guarantee’s automatic promotion..

Sod all the doubters and green eyed gumps, blow up bielsa girls and Steve Gibson.... football is all about daring to dream. That’s why we turn up start of every season.

This has the hallmarks of the boost my old man reckoned Mackay gave us, or Stimac to a lesser extent. We have a talisman coming in January; no post Christmas meltdown this year!

Your old man's correct. Mackay was as big a 'name' then as Rooney is now (but because of TV/social media probably not quite the international interest that Rooney has). Mackay was genuinely a great player.

The impact he had in a fairly short playing time with us was considerable. The other players, many of whom turned out to be greats in their own careers were in awe of him. If Rooney has half the impact of Dave Mackay - and I would anticipate him having much more than that - at first team and academy level, then he will be more than worth it.

imagine if you were Bogle and you knew that Rooney would be in the same side as you in 4 months. It would make you stop and think before you went to Villa or Newcastle; imagine a young kid with a choice of academies in the midlands - they're much more likely to pick Derby now

Archived