Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

PR FC, the team for me.

I don’t like this move whatsoever. I think we are in danger of having it blow up in our faces.

Rooney and Keogh lifting the play off final trophy together at Wembley in May is the only way we can come out of this with any credibility.

Anything less and we will be a laughing stock.

Don't like it all you want, it's happened, and the rest of us are buzzing for it

Enjoy the ride, even if it does blow up in our faces, it's fun while it last and it's being paid for by sponsorship money

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also wonder how much of a factor getting the deal done quickly - when it was realised there was a possibility - was in having it sorted out today instead of waiting. We only read about the Burnley and WBA interest but I reckon there would've been a whole host of Championship and lower prem clubs on the phone since last night trying to get in. Mel on Talksport himself said "unfortunately the news got out last night but hopefully it should be done today." 

22 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Sponsors pay as much as they like, based on what they think they'll get out of the deal. 

My understanding is they can't just pay whatever they like - all sponsorship deals are reviewed by the EFL to make sure they aren't overly inflated aren't they? To stop the likes of Mel Morris setting up a company and then buying our shirt sponsorship space for £50 mill per year. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

We'll just win the league mate. duck the playoffs. Bunch of unnecessary stress.

Although, I would also like to add that I disagree with you entirely.

Do you not think we have put a target on our backs now we are Wayne Rooney’s Derby County?

Do you not think we have ramped up expectations?

How can this be viewed as a success if we don’t get promoted?

Just now, GenBr said:

My understanding is they can't just pay whatever they like - all sponsorship deals are reviewed by the EFL to make sure they aren't overly inflated aren't they? To stop the likes of Mel Morris setting up a company and then buying our shirt sponsorship space for £50 mill per year. 

Depends how the money is routed... pretty sure Rooney could just become a 32Red brand ambassador and get paid whatever they wanted to pay him.

Wow what a remarkable piece of business. Thinking about it, the wages saved by already departed players will pay for this, and with the sponsorship we could end up better off. That’s still with Anya, Carson, Thorne and Martin to possibly come off the wage bill, sooner or later. What are they on £75k a week or more between them?

Very astute dealing by Mel ?

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I think sponsorship deals just have to be justified; there are definitely hard constraints on sponsorship being provided by the clubs owners and companies linked to them in the FFP era though.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Do you not think we have put a target on our backs now we are Wayne Rooney’s Derby County?

Losing playoff finalists last year and have a former Barcelona midfielder as our manager 

Media expectations were always going to be high going into this season

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Who cares about a target on our back?

Other clubs fans have been adamant we "have" to get promoted every year for 5 years! The media's often been the same. But we've never let it bother us before? Why would we start now?

And on the other point, expectation can't get any higher among some sects of our fans anyway. Will always have to deal with meltdowns if we don't succeed.

6 minutes ago, GenBr said:

you mean like Ethiad do a man city 

35 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Am I the only person who cannot get excited in this nonsense PR stunt?

What salary will he be on?

How will his effective the squad?

He will be 34 in October, 18 month contract from Jan 2020 (ending summer 2022), so making him 36 at the end.

Depending on the contract, I cant see us benefitting or this ending well for us.

How will it effect the squad??

D34876A1-2BC5-45AE-8862-4F732ADCA0A8.jpeg

This is a stamens and a half. In the last 12 months I’ve never been more excited as rams fan with these legends being part of the club. The extra income from tv matches and sponsorships will cover his wages and some. The players motivation will increase 10 folds with him being around the club and what Mel has done to increase the Derby brand while remaining in the championship is nothing short of amazing. I just hope he doesn’t hit the headlines for the wrong reasons during his time with us.

15 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Even though Mel has said it's a record shirt deal, it's probably only a record deal for our club.  Probably peanuts compared to Premier League teams.  Besides with the increased exposure and the, I'm sure, massive increase in shirt sales, not just to hometown fans, but those overseas 32Red and ourselves will probably be able to justify it quite easily...

49 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

They're basically paying for us to have Wayne Rooney as part of our squad. Worth it.

48 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Can they do that? Is that OK? 

Err, let's just check in with unappointed Championship legal eagle Steve 'Curly' Gibson... Steve, is this ok?

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, jono said:

you mean like Ethiad do a man city 

Yes exactly like that. These kind of deals are being investigated currently dut to being "inflated" over what they should be. I expect no punishment to come from it though. I dont think we'd be able to get the same level of leniency from the EFL though.

Archived