Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Although even factoring in any potential youth promotions, I still think we'd be light at CB - so in my mind that's one position we're certain to strengthen.

Perhaps more than one if he plays with three at the back? Does anyone know if that is his style or not?

We certainly have the fullbacks for the job!

And I think Wisdom's best position may well be the right hand side of a central three as well. Though wouldn't be my first choice there.

1 minute ago, StarterForTen said:

Perhaps more than one if he plays with three at the back? Does anyone know if that is his style or not?

We certainly have the fullbacks for the job!

And I think Wisdom's best position may well be the right hand side of a central three as well. Though wouldn't be my first choice there.

433 was his favoured formation

2 hours ago, David said:

I disagree. And before I get labelled a McClaren hater, 13/14 under McClaren is a close second. 

When I say this, I have taken a step back, looked at the club when they both arrived, the tools they had, transformation on the pitch. Let’s not also forget that the gung ho stuff we enjoyed was credited to Paul Simpson, the stick another forward on, don’t worry about the defence.

I believe and can’t be proven wrong, but with the likes of Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson in his prime, replacing Nigel Clough and throw in a couple of Chelsea loans and Lampard would have taken us up. In his first season in management.

Again, not a McClaren hater, I must stress this.

Both were found lacking tactically at times, McClaren a little more rigid in his thinking and struggled with key injuries as did Lampard. The switch to the diamond which bamboozled Bielsa would never have happened under McClaren. 

McClaren tweaked what Clough had started but didn’t have the bottle for, Lampard transformed how the team played before his arrival.

I have no issues if I’m out here on my own with this one. Opinions like who is the best will always be subjective, especially when both took us to the same distance. Wembley and 90 minutes from the Premier League.

We finished with more points both times. Mac put us on the map with the way we played on the pitch. Opened the door for Clement who was getting some hype. 

Lampard certainly drew more attention but some of that was by his name. The big TV games helped

I did enjoy last season but I thought Mac's team was more fun to watch and they gained more points

He might go on to be a better manager. Who knows? 

We went from 6th to 6th with Lamps. Yeah I won't deny that hides some of the backstory. 

Both did really well. The games v Wolves, Yeovil, Forest, Blackpool, Brighton, Leeds... man, I enjoyed it! 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Both did really well. The games v Wolves, Yeovil, Forest, Blackpool, Brighton, Leeds... man, I enjoyed it! 

It was that second Brighton game that got me the most.

After years of languishing around mid-table with Clough, all of a sudden I'm watching us completely dismantle a very impressive Brighton side with what can only be described as sexy football. When that Thorne goal went in...my word. It dawned on me.

We're going to Wembley. We're really going to Wembley.

Some great moments with Lampard, but Steve McClaren caused me to fall in love with my club again. I'll always love him for that. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

We finished with more points both times. Mac put us on the map with the way we played on the pitch. Opened the door for Clement who was getting some hype. 

Lampard certainly drew more attention but some of that was by his name. The big TV games helped

I did enjoy last season but I thought Mac's team was more fun to watch and they gained more points

He might go on to be a better manager. Who knows? 

We went from 6th to 6th with Lamps. Yeah I won't deny that hides some of the backstory. 

If we’re going by points on the board there is no discussion I guess, you can’t argue with facts.

For me it doesn’t really tell the full story, like judging wingers on assist stats.

Where does this leave Billy Davies? Point less than Mac in 13/14, but took us up.

Going back to @DarkFruitsRam7 he suggests 20 years, is he the greatest? I know a man that thinks he is, but not for me.

On 03/07/2019 at 09:15, CornwallRam said:

I reckon his first act will be to order a drugs test for that one with the mad eyes and to try to find out what likeusay means.

When meeting the players he'll be modest enough to tell Duayne Holmes that there's no need to kneel.

After that he'll have a laugh with Chris Martin about his comedy 'running through treacle' routine, but say it's now time to for him to start running at full speed.

I'm done. This is an absolute class post.

1 hour ago, Shuff264 said:

We lost QPR because Mac was too intent on winning in 90 minutes. We didn't need to be so aggressive and attacking when we had another 30 mins. 

We were playing like we were 1-0 down 

strange how you can be at the same game and have different view.  He didn't bring Bamford on until it was too late.  I thought Mac was trying to break them down in extra time.  You could be right but not my impression at the time.  Tactically they gave us the wings and we took them.  Every single cross was snuffed out easily.  The early success of attacking them front on was forgotten for the easier option

1 minute ago, David said:

If we’re going by points on the board there is no discussion I guess, you can’t argue with facts.

For me it doesn’t really tell the full story, like judging wingers on assist stats.

Where does this leave Billy Davies? Point less than Mac in 13/14, but took us up.

Going back to @DarkFruitsRam7 he suggests 20 years, is he the greatest? I know a man that thinks he is, but not for me.

Points aren’t everything, but that doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. They’re a huge factor, as is the general feel that a manager brings to a club. Long-term factors must also be respected, such as the work Clough did in slowly dragging us into a team capable of challenging. For me:

1. Mac1.

2. Davies (sorry, but he got us promoted. I’d kill for that now and wouldn’t give a duck how we did it).

3. Lampard.

4. Clough. 

5. Rowett.

6. Mac2.

7. Clement.

8. Pearson.

Can’t comment on anything pre-Davies as I wasn’t there to witness it.

Archived