Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, Alpha said:

There is if you're badly wrong

I disagree. And before I get labelled a McClaren hater, 13/14 under McClaren is a close second. 

When I say this, I have taken a step back, looked at the club when they both arrived, the tools they had, transformation on the pitch. Let’s not also forget that the gung ho stuff we enjoyed was credited to Paul Simpson, the stick another forward on, don’t worry about the defence.

I believe and can’t be proven wrong, but with the likes of Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson in his prime, replacing Nigel Clough and throw in a couple of Chelsea loans and Lampard would have taken us up. In his first season in management.

Again, not a McClaren hater, I must stress this.

Both were found lacking tactically at times, McClaren a little more rigid in his thinking and struggled with key injuries as did Lampard. The switch to the diamond which bamboozled Bielsa would never have happened under McClaren. 

McClaren tweaked what Clough had started but didn’t have the bottle for, Lampard transformed how the team played before his arrival.

I have no issues if I’m out here on my own with this one. Opinions like who is the best will always be subjective, especially when both took us to the same distance. Wembley and 90 minutes from the Premier League.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David said:

I disagree. And before I get labelled a McClaren hater, 13/14 under McClaren is a close second. 

When I say this, I have taken a step back, looked at the club when they both arrived, the tools they had, transformation on the pitch. Let’s not also forget that the gung ho stuff we enjoyed was credited to Paul Simpson, the stick another forward on, don’t worry about the defence.

I believe and can not be proven wrong, but with the likes of Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson in his prime, replacing Nigel Clough and throw in a couple of Chelsea loans and Lampard would have taken us up. In his first season in management.

Again, not a McClaren hater, I must stress this.

Both were found lacking tactically at times, McClaren a little more rigid in his thinking and struggled with key injuries as did Lampard. The switch to the diamond which bamboozled Bielsa would never have happened under McClaren. 

McClaren tweaked what Clough had started but didn’t have the bottle for, Lampard transformed how the team played before his arrival.

I have no issues if I’m out here on my own with this one. Opinions like who is the best will always be subjective, especially when both took us to the same distance. Wembley and 90 minutes from the Premier League.

If Mac had of had the full season like Frankie did he would have got us up in that first season...in the games he was Manager we gained the most points in the division....

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If Mac had of had the full season like Frankie did he would have got us up in that first season...in the games he was Manager we gained the most points in the division....

Maybe, it’s all if’s but’s, maybes and hypothetical aunties now.

I have a feeling Frank will go on to have a better managerial career than McClaren, that won’t change the work they both did at Derby I know. 

Could be wrong, but looks exactly the type of man the FA would look at for the England job further down the line. 

Free free to quote when he’s sat next to Rio in the BT studio next season ?

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I also think Mel is clever enough to allow the dust to settle with Lampard before our turn in the limelight. Announcement much later today or even tomorrow maybe?

Later today in time for the Moan-in on RD! ?

Will he be spotted jetting off to the US with the squad?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But the one game we were hot favourites for and should have won, we lost. Losing to Villa (a decent side) wasn't the surprise - losing to QPR (a crap side) was.

Sadly, both play-off final defeats I put down to the managers' team selections on the day. 

Archived