Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

Did we forget some of the earlier ones?

George Jobby and Ted Manager?

They are both on the list posted by SaintRam. Newbould was manager from 1896 to 1906 I don't think the list goes any earlier. Still both English though, so doesnt change the point.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Burley below Lampard? Nah.

Burley did a fantastic job despite having no money to spend, a shithouse Board of Directors and a wreck of a squad that he inherited. Against all odds and expectations he lead us to the playoffs playing some superb football.

Ian Taylor, Tommy Smith, Idiakez, Reich, Rasiak, Bisgaard - all signed for absolutely nothing.

Lampard by contrast had money to spend, a stable ownership and a decent squad already in place.

Uncle George worked a miracle.

I'm with you.

Mac1 > Burley > Mac2 > Wassall > rest is meh.

Maybe Lampard would be 5th on the list? JOr Davies? Just goes to show how bad managers we've had this century... Not being horrible would give you a fifth spot already. Or being horrible and achieving more than expected.

9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Time for a Mel update.. ?

AdmirableOffensiveFieldmouse-small.gif

Ha, it’s not like that, it’s information which is already out there which has been communicated at fans forums ?‍♂️

10 minutes ago, David said:

Ha, it’s not like that, it’s information which is already out there which has been communicated at fans forums ?‍♂️

Genuinely I think it's great Mel gets his opinion out there. Think he came across well on Talksport and the profile of the club improved as a result. 

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Mac2 did a fine job and shouldn’t have been sacked. I don’t think you can say he was better than Clough though as his long-term impact was negligible, compared to all the groundwork that Clough laid. I think Rowett did an underrated job and is probably above Mac2 because he lasted the season and made the play-offs. All of them were at least 6.5/10s IMO.

But how can you compare when Mac2 got a few months, only one transfer window, and got us up to the right end of the table with a squad that wasn't his, I won't even go for Rowett because I thought he was terrible, but Clough ''laid groundwork'' for years without ever progressing.

1 hour ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Burley below Lampard? Nah.

Burley did a fantastic job despite having no money to spend, a shithouse Board of Directors and a wreck of a squad that he inherited. Against all odds and expectations he lead us to the playoffs playing some superb football.

Ian Taylor, Tommy Smith, Idiakez, Reich, Rasiak, Bisgaard - all signed for absolutely nothing.

Lampard by contrast had money to spend, a stable ownership and a decent squad already in place.

Uncle George worked a miracle.

That’s my favourite season following Derby so far. I started attending games regularly around 2000.  The team he built with no money to spend was incredible. It sort of had a bit of everything and was a joy to watch.

51 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I'm with you.

Mac1 > Burley > Mac2 > Wassall > rest is meh.

Maybe Lampard would be 5th on the list? JOr Davies? Just goes to show how bad managers we've had this century... Not being horrible would give you a fifth spot already. Or being horrible and achieving more than expected.

The man gave us the gift of Leeds away! 

Mac1 > Lampard > Burley > Wassall > Mac2 > Clough > Davies > Rowett > Clement > Pearson, for me.

Obviously 3 years from now there'll be no debate, and the still Derby manager Cocu will sit at the top of the list as we ready a foray into Europe ? 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

this kind of gripes me. Clough is seen as a saviour cos we hovered near relegation under Jewell, so why isn't it that "Jewell allowed Clough to do such a good (by comparison) job"?? Either Clough saved up and Mac gets the credit for his own work, OR Clough didn't save us and McClaren didn't really turn everything around. I prefer the first option.

Clement did not take us backwards at all, Mel took us backwards by backing then sacking Clement. Had Clement been bottom of the league when he got sacked, then yes, he took us backwards. But given that he was 8 months into a 3 year plan, having flirted with top of the table, but crumbled when Mel undermined him by entering the dressing room in January and starting the wobble, you cannot say Clement set us back. That ALL lands at Mel's door. Mel made the appointment, Mel made the sacking.

You can argue that Mel shouldn't have sacked Clement, yes. I was fuming at the time.

But I find it very hard to believe that he would have turned the slump around. Jacob Butterfield pretty much carried us up to the top of the table and nothing that we've seen from Clement since he left Derby has suggested that he's anything other than average. In hindsight, for me, it was the right decision to sack him, but obviously the subsequent appointment of Pearson was a mistake.

Mel certainly wasn't perfect at the time, as I've said many times, but I do think he's learned some lessons.

Cocu is brave to take this job under its current circumstances ...he could’ve waited for something better but no ...I admire him for taking this job ..Lampard had all of June and July to assess things ...Cocu will get about 4 weeks and has to assess the squad try and get the right players in and get his playing philosophy across ...so he will need time and patience as it may even take this season to use the windows and shift players out and get the right ones in ...I don’t expect us to be top 6 this season but do think long term we have a fantastic coach but the timing is awful and not helped by the length of time it took Frank to eventually go ....good luck Phil I hope the fans give you time....

43 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Don't think I've ever been so excited by an appointment.

Genuinely can't believe we have managed to pull this off.

overjoyed so excited GIF by Demic

Me too but he really has a job on I just hope he’s given time ...I’m amazed we’ve got him ??????

5 minutes ago, JfR said:

Can't wait for the announcement video of them all bouncing on Space Mountain at Disney World

The bounce is done surely??? That was with Frank we need something new with Cocu ( he’s quite reserved apparently ) 

Just now, Saity said:

The bounce is done surely??? That was with Frank we need something new with Cocu ( he’s quite reserved apparently ) 

"oooooooohhhhhhhhh
If you don't sit down
If you don't sit down then you're a red"

Archived