Johnson in talks over a new deal.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

We don't know what the agreement was in January when he took reduced terms - We know he agreed to a pay cut (which may have been significant) when he didn't need to - Might have been on the agreement that if he played a certain number of games we'd extend his contract and/or bump his pay back up for the final year 

suited both parties at the time.  He didn't leave for free triggering a guessing large P&S cost and he got the chance to rehabilitate himself after the biting incident meaning there may be clubs now interested that wouldn't have been.  Now he may go but hopefully for some sort of fee.

The fact that he already agreed to vastly reduced wages last season suggests this extension isn't going to be expensive. A decent player to keep in the squad.

Glad Blackman and Butterfield seem to be moving on though.

I'm in two minds, on more realistic wages he's a good option to have in the squad, but is he unique or irreplaceable? Probably not.

I'd be happy to have him stay, wish him luck if he doesn't, despite the large fee, he has always been a good servant to the club.

I've even forgiven him the Hull play off first leg where he was involved in two of hulls goals (one a deflection but the other a woeful pass)

42 minutes ago, Spanish said:

suited both parties at the time.  He didn't leave for free triggering a guessing large P&S cost and he got the chance to rehabilitate himself after the biting incident meaning there may be clubs now interested that wouldn't have been.  Now he may go but hopefully for some sort of fee.

He still had to the rest of the season to come back in and prove himself - Plus signing a new contract wouldn't ever guarantee he'd get game time

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He still had to the rest of the season to come back in and prove himself - Plus signing a new contract wouldn't ever guarantee he'd get game time

I don't think either side wanted to see the contract end at that time.  Not signing it may have guaranteed no game time

Tbf I still think Johnson is good enough to play some role for us, certainly proved last season he’s still good enough at this level. We’re short in centre mid so I can understand wanting to keep him and giving him a new deal, as long as it’s a short term one similar to the one he signed for FFP purposes- tho on fairer wages and maybe an extra year. Would think talks are in an early stage at this point anyway so no guarantee he’ll sign what’s offered, all depends on how close the club and he is on what they want in the deal. If they can’t meet at a reasonable contract then he’ll have to be released I would imagine which wouldn’t be good given he’s still capable so let’s hope they can. Interesting we’d start doing this so early though in the season before the new managers in charge, they may feel differently about him.

Strange that butterfield is coming in for pre season but Blackman isn’t.... thought we were going to release both this month? Seems at the very least we’re going to keep both contracted- mind I think that’s the best move, try and get some money out of them in loan fees or whatever. Strange that if we are keeping them both contracted that they don’t both return for pre season at least to get themselves fit and ready to be loaned out, I’d have them both, not just butterfield and send Blackman on leave. Probably the best decision to keep them away from the training camp mind, part of the aim of that is team bonding for the upcoming season, so we only want the players wholl actually be involved this season going, not those surplus to requirements. Least blackmans on the look for a new club, hopefully that means we can get shot of him ASAP.

Anyone else find it hard to get your head around who is making the decisions at the moment given the fact Frank is so unlikely to stay?

Mel talked about continuity, but it feels odd that we've made decisions on the future of Roos, Luke Thomas, Bryson and now offering BJ a new deal to stay.

Not saying it's right/wrong, and it's a good thing that we're getting on with stuff - just wonder who is calling the shots.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Anyone else find it hard to get your head around who is making the decisions at the moment given the fact Frank is so unlikely to stay?

Mel talked about continuity, but it feels odd that we've made decisions on the future of Roos, Luke Thomas, Bryson and now offering BJ a new deal to stay.

Not saying it's right/wrong, and it's a good thing that we're getting on with stuff - just wonder who is calling the shots.

I think all of those decisions were primarily with the players rather than Derby.

BJs on much lower wages now according to the DET, and I doubt anyone's going to be upset (with that in mind) that he's a member of their newly inherited squad.

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Maybe that was all the agreed actions prior to Chelsea interest so we as a club are carrying on taking the view that if it was good enough for Lampard it’s the right thing to do

Archived