Johnson in talks over a new deal.

Agree he’s not as bad a player people have made out but he definitely seems to be one of those players who need the perfect tactical scenario and players around them to get the most. Which retrospectively means building the team around him if he isn’t the missing piece to your tactics now. Have to wait until a new manager is in place and a formation(s) is chosen, if it is much of the same he’s not the right man and even a financial fit of a huge paycut would have to fit bj which still is going to be a fair whack.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He can only be a holding midfielder now. Doesn’t have the legs to be box to box (I don’t think he’s had that ever since we signed him).

Did well last season but technically extremely limited. Has to be sanctioned by the new manager but if Thorne really is no good anymore, I’d keep him over Huddlestone just because he can move better and I think over the season Johnson was definitely the better player of the two. I think we’d also get more cash for Hudds and certainly save wages - he’s still a quality player for someone but I just think we benefit from more mobility in the holding role especially when playing with a 3, excited to see how Shinnie does.

13 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

More than happy if BJ stays, I rate him

I know sentiment shouldn't come into it, but anyone who raises £30k for a school sports facility for disabled children gets my vote as a decent human being, that should be good for keeping the dressing room well grounded.  Plus, more importantly, he showed enough in the last third of the season to deserve the extension.

He's always been a victim of his price tag (not his fault) now he's on reduced wages and expectations should be lower I still see him as a good Championship player, more than happy to still see him around.

I like Johnson, he can be frustrating when he gives the ball away too frequently but in certain games where we are getting physically challenged he is one of the few players that can stand up to it and get stuck in. If we are planning on bringing through more young players we need a few grizzled veteran types in the squad to get them through the tough spells.

Based on the last third of the season we all saw his value.  Would cost a pretty penny to replace him with someone of similar quality.  I also agree he is better further up the pitch and has an eye for goal. Might be controversial but would have been more annoyed if Bryson had stayed over Johnson.  

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, europia said:

Should hold off until the new manager is in place. Let him decide. 

Maybe he has 

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

surely shinnie plays that position.

Its a no from me  - although i prefer johnno to huddz.

Nothing wrong with having options. Having multiple players who could play the holding role allowed us to switch to 4-2-3-1 at Bristol, which turned out to be a master stroke. 

40 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Nothing wrong with having options. Having multiple players who could play the holding role allowed us to switch to 4-2-3-1 at Bristol, which turned out to be a master stroke. 

Comfort on the ball and incisive passing are key qualities for playing the holding role. He never looks comfortable on the ball to me, and his passing is often wayward.

As a side note, well done for the excellent work he has done at St Giles.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/school-gets-new-sports-arena-3033435

I've seen this is starting to leak out on Twitter so I might as well post it now.

My understanding is that Johnson has travelled to Blackburn with a view to hooking up with them as they arrive back from their preseason tour of Austria and signing on the dotted line. Quite possibly later today (Thursday). Of course you never know about these things but I do trust the source of the info who's normally very reliable.

It's even possible that Butterfield will make the same move. Mowbray was the manager who brought him to Boro and after being at Moor Farm for training on Monday, Butters has since been up to Blackburn. It's been widely reported that we are expecting him and Blackman to find new clubs.

Archived