Race for the Play Offs

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's far from over, but we're looking at needing 4 wins and a draw (avoiding a defeat against Bristol) from our remaining 6 games. A big ask to pull that sort of run together but still possible.

when I make predictions I tend to analyse a number of factors to help me come to a decision.  please tell me where you based the conclusion that we could win 4 and not lose to Bristol?

Let's be realistic - to be promoted from the Championship you either have to have a manager who's been there and done it or you have to give a manager time.

We aren't getting promoted this season so we just need to forget about it, even if we do smash Bolton on Saturday. Villa would destroy us in the Play Offs, as would Leeds or Sheff Utd. 

I'm not sure the supporters will give Lampard time next season, we are a very restless bunch. 

Too many players in this team are not consistent enough and I believe this is where an experienced manager would be needed.

What I do know is that last night was dreadful and is definitely down to management whether its team selection or motivation or both. 

Once the loanees return what are we left with? Going to take time and money. Could do with the same kind of backers that Wolves have. However, a quality manager needs to be part of it, witness the red dogs who have had the investment without the management.

1 minute ago, Finch said:

Once the loanees return what are we left with? Going to take time and money. Could do with the same kind of backers that Wolves have. However, a quality manager needs to be part of it, witness the red dogs who have had the investment without the management.

Sounds familiar with us for the past 5 years. 

It will end in disappointment but in true Derby fashion, as much as we all try and convince ourselves playoffs is over (me included), the agony will be prolonged until the last week of the season.

I’d convinced myself last night that it was over. However, Looking at the fixtures, there is a lot of potential for all contenders to drop points. We should beat Bolton which will probably put us 2 points behind Bristol again as I can’t see them beating or drawing with Villa. Then there’s Easter weekend which is so often pivotal. We have brum away and QPR at home, Bristol have Reading at Home, Sheff Weds away. Can easily see both teams taking 3 points out of those two games.

That means we could go into the Bristol game 2 points behind them with a realistic set of results. If we lose at Ashton Gate then it’s done, but even if we get a draw Bristol finish with Millwall and Hull (who may go above us tonight!) both away, not easy.

We could legitimately sneak in the playoffs and not win another away game this season! Yes we’re relying on other results because no one thinks we’re going to win 4 or 5 of our remaining games based on our away form, but while this weekend has been a major setback it is by no means over.

If we drop any points at home though then we are screwed unless we can pull a Norwich away result out of the bag in the remaining games.

More twists and turns yet.

I dont think we have it in us to beat Bristol, but I will keep my hope alive until it is mathematically impossible for us to go up.

I dont fancy our chances against the likes of Shef Utd or Leeds though if we did get in playoffs and we are currently losing 7-0 this season to Villa. Maybe we could take West Brom though if both teams played as they did earlier in the season.

7 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Let's be realistic - to be promoted from the Championship you either have to have a manager who's been there and done it or you have to give a manager time.

We aren't getting promoted this season so we just need to forget about it, even if we do smash Bolton on Saturday. Villa would destroy us in the Play Offs, as would Leeds or Sheff Utd. 

I'm not sure the supporters will give Lampard time next season, we are a very restless bunch. 

Too many players in this team are not consistent enough and I believe this is where an experienced manager would be needed.

What I do know is that last night was dreadful and is definitely down to management whether its team selection or motivation or both. 

Or more experienced players but they cost money which we don’t have and if you’re not careful they get past it very quickly (our squad is a prime example).

An experienced manager is going to want loads of money to buy instant success which we don’t have.

Building a team, utilising youth with an inexperienced manager who undoubtedly has a lot of potential is the best option in our current state.

Last night was dire and there have been similarly bad performances this season, there have been many steady performances and some exceptional performances - we cannot forget those.

Lampard is a rookie, he’s made errors but this is what we signed up for, a new era, bringing youth through and a change in playing style. The inconsistency was inevitable but we were titillated by the performances in October/November showing what we can do. 

IMO, Lampard is 1 year into a minimum 2-3 year job, we’re competing for playoffs despite a major overhaul in playing staff and reliance on youth and we have seen glimpses of how he wants us to play which at its best is exciting to watch. He will have another opportunity to shape the squad this summer for next season and I will expect further improvement. 

Its frustrating we’re here again and it’s always we need a 2-3 year plan but it’s where we’re at. We need to be fully rid of the Clement/Pearson eras to move forward. While Lampard has £12m in wages outlay for players who haven’t played this season (players who are not good enough) it makes things difficult.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Weimann, who of course wasn't good enough for Derby!

I expect Bristol are where they are despite him.

yep I understand that they are playing him in a role not offered to him by us, that showed him!

If Hull win tonight then it's five teams for two places, with us as third favourites. Third favourites.

If you didn't think there'd be twists and turns, with disappointments along the way, then you can't have been supporting Derby very long. Villa play Bristol City at the weekend; we have to play Bristol City yet. We have six games left and every team below us in the table is enviously looking at our position wishing they were where we are, still fighting for the playoffs with a decent chance.

Happily I completely missed last night so am not dragged down like some of you, but I say "keep the faith!". We're still in this and I hope the boys surprise those of you whose glasses are always half-empty.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If Hull win tonight then it's five teams for two places, with us as third favourites. Third favourites.

If you didn't think there'd be twists and turns, with disappointments along the way, then you can't have been supporting Derby very long. Villa play Bristol City at the weekend; we have to play Bristol City yet. We have six games left and every team below us in the table is enviously looking at our position wishing they were where we are, still fighting for the playoffs with a decent chance.

Happily I completely missed last night so am not dragged down like some of you, but I say "keep the faith!". We're still in this and I hope the boys surprise those of you whose glasses are always half-empty.

great

however

we are playing poorly and even Bolton looks like a challenge, I don't think we have a 'decent' chance and I'm not sure we even have an ordinary chance.?

The trouble is that 6 out of our last 14 league games have produced the kind of performances we saw last night. 

No way can we complete the next 9 games with the kind of consistent quality needed for promotion. 

Hopefully, the club has identified the right players at the right price to make us competitive in the championship next season. 

Archived