Race for the Play Offs

A month ago i wasn't confident at all - Not creating chances and playing poor football. Now since the return of Mason Mount we have scored 9 in 2 games. Saturday was annoying and were again let down by our sometimes fragile defence. The players look up for it, a draw away Brentford is a good result if we can 6 points from Blackburn and Bolton which we need to. Its all about the Blackburn game - We need to go there and win and i can see Boro drawing at Bristol. Some big games coming up in which sides around us will drop points. A long way to go but i see Blackburn as a massive game in our season.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

A month ago i wasn't confident at all - Not creating chances and playing poor football. Now since the return of Mason Mount we have scored 9 in 2 games. Saturday was annoying and were again let down by our sometimes fragile defence. The players look up for it, a draw away Brentford is a good result if we can 6 points from Blackburn and Bolton which we need to. Its all about the Blackburn game - We need to go there and win and i can see Boro drawing at Bristol. Some big games coming up in which sides around us will drop points. A long way to go but i see Blackburn as a massive game in our season.

Which Boro are you expecting to draw at Bristol City?

As a City supporter I'm not at all confident and am just enjoying the fact we are competing. Saturday's 94th minute Wigan equaliser sure was a downer.

19 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don't know why but I am relaxed about the play offs. We'll make it with a game to spare and then we have as much chance as anyone in the semi and final.

Don't care who we play, our big players will turn it on and give anyone a game.

I have a feeling that you are correct regarding our chances if we can finish 6th. We would have a better chance than when we played Fulham last season, a game which seemed to have a sense of inevitability about it. However I still believe our biggest challenge, is actually scraping into the play off positions. 

11 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Bristol have 8 points from last 5,  12 from last 10, they aren't exactly pulling up trees.  Streaky team so they could end up on 80 points or fail to make 70.   I reckon we have as much chance as them of making the top 6 - there's a chance someone below will come with a late run but then Villa may collapse again so for me it's 50:50.   I reckon 73 is looking about the cut, anything above that I'd be more confident than not.

They've got a difficult little run so we need to get ahead and then avoid defeat down there.   Millwall away for them could be difficult if Millwall aren't safe.  

Huh? Bristol have only lost to Leeds recently? They beat both Boro and sheff u away also. Something that we didn’t manage ☹️. They do have a harder run in, but like us Bristol seem to do better v better teams. 

I wish I shared everyone’s optimism and I hope I am wrong, but we haven’t shown all season a good run of form in 7/8 games and that’s what is needed now just to get in the POs. 

3 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Huh? Bristol have only lost to Leeds recently? They beat both Boro and sheff u away also. Something that we didn’t manage ☹️. They do have a harder run in, but like us Bristol seem to do better v better teams. 

I wish I shared everyone’s optimism and I hope I am wrong, but we haven’t shown all season a good run of form in 7/8 games and that’s what is needed now just to get in the POs. 

They have only won those 2 games in the last 8, they also lost to Norwich and Birmingham, drew with Preston, Ipswich and Wigan (W2 D3 L3). 

6 points from next two games would put us control of our own destiny. Bristol City play Villa so at least one of them is going to drop two or more points. A draw against Bristol City would probably put it all on the last game for us which we will need to win against WBA who will probably be resting players for the play offs. We need to finish 5th but we would take 6th and have to play Blades or Leeds. Plan A - just win our games. COYR

15 minutes ago, Rampage said:

we will need to win against WBA who will probably be resting players for the play offs

Knowing our luck of course we'd have to knacker ourselves to nick it by two goals,  some one would break a leg and the following week we play them again in the playoffs were they give us an ass whupping as the actual first team have spent the previous weekend sunning in Ibiza sipping mojitos.

Got to win 2 of Brum Bristol and Swansea. Can’t see it personally. Playoffs gone but I think that’s where we are right now. Really don’t get the people slating Lampard. Under him we’ve produced some outstanding performances this season, but inconsistency has hit us due to young players, and players who aren’t really suited to the way he plays. He signed a 3 year contract it could well be a 3 year job, and if people aren’t happy with that need to think about the poor managerial appointments, constant change and poor signings for lots of money that have ultimately put us in a major rebuilding position. 

Farke at Norwich, Johnson at Bristol and Wilder at Sheff U are proof that it takes time to build teams. We have to go down that route now because of where we are against FFP.

The play off places is now between West Brom, Bristol, Villa, M'Boro  and the Rams, One play off place is either Leeds or Sheff Utd. Norwich should be home and dry for automatics. So 5 teams are fighting it out for the other 3 slots. West Brom have Preston (h), Hull(h), Reading (a), Rotherham (h) and Derby (a). I feel their Home games will see them secure enough points for at least 4th spot. Bristol have Villa (a), Reading (h), Sheff W (a) Derby (h), Millwall (a) and Hull (a). 4 tough away games, I feel they need to win their 2 home games and find at least 2pts away to possibly scrape 6th spot. Villa have Rotherham (a), Bristol (h), Bolton (a), Millwall (h), Leeds (a) and Norwich (h). Playing 3 teams fighting fo survival and 3 teams in the promotion race. Having won 6 on the bounce, have they peaked to early, will they have their last game against a team already crowned as champions. I feel they will have to win at least 2 of their home games also win 2 of the away games, which should secure at 5th or 6th spot. M'Boro have Hull (h), Stoke (h), Forest (a), Reading (h) and Rotherham (a). have they finished their bad run at the right time, win their home games and win away last game of the season could see them finish on 73 pts which could pinch 6th. Rams have Bolton (h),Birmingham (a), QPR (h), Bristol (a), Swasea (a) and West Brom (h).

We need to win all 3 home games, get a result at Bristol and pick up at least 3 points in the other 2 away matches to steal 6th spot. My head tells me we will miss out, my hope is we have our rivals dropping points against teams fighting for survival to steal 6th spot. This is the championship, we have seen Bristol beat Sheff utd, M'Boro and West brom and draw at home to Wigan. They, with Villa have been in form, can they continue in their last 6 games. Will M'Boro make a late charge, will the the Rams make a late charge.  My prediction is:

1.Norwich                                                                                                                                                                                                                     2. Sheff Utd                                                                                                                                                                                                                 3. Leeds                                                                                                                                                                                                                      4. WBA                                                                                                                                                                                                                        5. Villa                                                                                                                                                                                                                        6. M'Boro                                                                                                                                                                                                                   7. Rams                                                                                                                                                                                                                       8. Bristol

I am hoping that I am proved wrong, but drawing at Brentford and losing at Blackburn as put us back. We would have to match M'Boro results and win our game in hand at Swansea. Also rely on Bristol dropping points and us getting a result at Ashton gate, also hope that West Brom have already claimed a play off place when we play them in the last of the season. Too many ifs and buts.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Phew, nervy second half at Ashton Gate. I can't see us dropping from 4th to 8th but still not convinced we will be top 6 either. A third of this season has been great, a third mediocre and a third shockingly poor. No doubt all clubs from 4th to 16th or so can relate to.

7 hours ago, plymouthram said:

The play off places is now between West Brom, Bristol, Villa, M'Boro  and the Rams, One play off place is either Leeds or Sheff Utd. Norwich should be home and dry for automatics. So 5 teams are fighting it out for the other 3 slots. West Brom have Preston (h), Hull(h), Reading (a), Rotherham (h) and Derby (a). I feel their Home games will see them secure enough points for at least 4th spot. Bristol have Villa (a), Reading (h), Sheff W (a) Derby (h), Millwall (a) and Hull (a). 4 tough away games, I feel they need to win their 2 home games and find at least 2pts away to possibly scrape 6th spot. Villa have Rotherham (a), Bristol (h), Bolton (a), Millwall (h), Leeds (a) and Norwich (h). Playing 3 teams fighting fo survival and 3 teams in the promotion race. Having won 6 on the bounce, have they peaked to early, will they have their last game against a team already crowned as champions. I feel they will have to win at least 2 of their home games also win 2 of the away games, which should secure at 5th or 6th spot. M'Boro have Hull (h), Stoke (h), Forest (a), Reading (h) and Rotherham (a). have they finished their bad run at the right time, win their home games and win away last game of the season could see them finish on 73 pts which could pinch 6th. Rams have Bolton (h),Birmingham (a), QPR (h), Bristol (a), Swasea (a) and West Brom (h).

We need to win all 3 home games, get a result at Bristol and pick up at least 3 points in the other 2 away matches to steal 6th spot. My head tells me we will miss out, my hope is we have our rivals dropping points against teams fighting for survival to steal 6th spot. This is the championship, we have seen Bristol beat Sheff utd, M'Boro and West brom and draw at home to Wigan. They, with Villa have been in form, can they continue in their last 6 games. Will M'Boro make a late charge, will the the Rams make a late charge.  My prediction is:

1.Norwich                                                                                                                                                                                                                     2. Sheff Utd                                                                                                                                                                                                                 3. Leeds                                                                                                                                                                                                                      4. WBA                                                                                                                                                                                                                        5. Villa                                                                                                                                                                                                                        6. M'Boro                                                                                                                                                                                                                   7. Rams                                                                                                                                                                                                                       8. Bristol

I am hoping that I am proved wrong, but drawing at Brentford and losing at Blackburn as put us back. We would have to match M'Boro results and win our game in hand at Swansea. Also rely on Bristol dropping points and us getting a result at Ashton gate, also hope that West Brom have already claimed a play off place when we play them in the last of the season. Too many ifs and buts.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

"'We need to win all 3 home games, get a result at Bristol and pick up at least 3 points in the other 2 away matches to steal 6th spot."

We haven't got form for this - drawing at Brentford and losing at Rovers - can anyone see us doing this? I cant. - book your. holidays

forget it - we will finish 7th max - probably 8th

7 hours ago, Gut_Reaction said:

Phew, nervy second half at Ashton Gate. I can't see us dropping from 4th to 8th but still not convinced we will be top 6 either. A third of this season has been great, a third mediocre and a third shockingly poor. No doubt all clubs from 4th to 16th or so can relate to.

When were you 4th?

7 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Give it up we will finish no were near the play-offs,all 3 away games will be lost given our away form its embarrassing 

Archived