Race for the Play Offs

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/04/2019 at 21:39, Parsnip said:

This post didn't age well.

I dunno mate. I admire your faith tbh. If you can't dream, what's the point? 

23 hours ago, mozza said:

One consolation, the players can have a 3 week longer summer break, they've earned it.

Many a true word...

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair comments and I'm pretry much where you are at.

Playing devils advocate though, the outstanding performances have been few and far between. 4 or 5 out of nearly 50 games is no great return.

You say we don't have players that suit the way he plays, well he spent £18m in the summer, plus 3 loan players, so I would expect at least the spine of the team to resemble players who suit the way he plays.

Out of all the money he spent, which players would you say have come in and nailed down a starting place?

I'm happy with FL if he has a plan he can stick to and has identified players to suit, summer transfer window is massive for the club.

Regarding your last point I think right now we have to trust that he has plan and judge next season. 

As for the signings, Marriott and Waghorn have both had stop start seasons with injuries but I think they improve us and are good options moving forward.

Malone again has had a stop start season with injuries but shown enough for me as an attacking full back. He was in Championship team of the year a couple of seasons ago so get the signing and Left Back was somewhere a lot of people needed addressing.

Holmes has lots of potential and is a good buy but Evans and Jozefzoon haven’t worked. The loans have all done well.

I think we’re okay with the forwards, defence maybe we need a centre half when we lose Tomori and make a decision on Ambrose.

Where we’re lacking is midfield, we have an abundance of holding midfielders (including Johnson who can no longer be effective in any other role) we don’t have enough box to box midfielders, this is the main area I’d expect him to address in the summer and hopefully this will be what takes us that next step. If he doesn’t address this area, I’d be concerned he doesn’t have a plan and start to question if he is the right man.

Bumping this thread as there's still hope.

• What's the first rule of football? It's the hope that kills you.
  • What's the second rule of football? IT'S THE HOPE THAT KILLS YOU.

I'd have been happier had Villa and Bristol City drawn as that would have kept more teams in the mix. But what Villa's win means is that it's back in our hands. Win our remaining games and a playoff place is guaranteed. With 5 games to go.

There's one place and it's between Bristol City, Boro and us. On the fringes you can still argue a Villa collapse sees them drop out and if the Wendies win all their games they could sneak in, but neither will happen.

It's also in Bristol City's hands because if they don't lose to us, they control their destiny.

Keep the faith. Love the Rams. Always have hope.

Just said it on the other thread, Friday IMO is toughest game of the run in. The way Bristol and Swansea set up should give us more joy and enable us to play our game and create chances. I’m not sure we have the players to cope physically with Birmingham away from home.

Even if we lose on Friday, it won’t be over but it will mean us need to win our last 4.

Went to see how the Bristol City fans are feeling, fair few not confident of finishing top 6. A little surprised to see they believe Boro are more likely to pinch 6th. 

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/200674-are-we-making-the-playoffs/

C959D130-726A-4E93-A96B-9E36742AB691.jpeg

Boro fans no talk of the play offs on their forum, seem more interested in discussing Tony Pulis, couple of polls wanting him gone.

36 minutes ago, David said:

Went to see how the Bristol City fans are feeling, fair few not confident of finishing top 6. A little surprised to see they believe Boro are more likely to pinch 6th. 

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/200674-are-we-making-the-playoffs/

C959D130-726A-4E93-A96B-9E36742AB691.jpeg

Boro fans no talk of the play offs on their forum, seem more interested in discussing Tony Pulis, couple of polls wanting him gone.

I think that's because ever since, and I hate to bring it up, our loss in the 2014 play off final, the fans have such high expectations for Derby and expect us to be finishing top 6 pretty much every season. That being said, I think we can beat anyone in this league when we're on it. Just need to pull ourselves together and really go for it in the last 5. If we do that we'll be in the play offs.

Archived