17/18 Financial Results

Kinder

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's a very limited analysis based on quite a bit of guesswork and this isn't made apparent.

Also a few important things missed out and suggestions made, even when there is evidence to the contrary.

Interested to know where the club have implied that the ground sale was done for FFP reasons? The official lines that I have seen are that MM wants to explore increasing income streams away from the football use of the stadium. 

Would also like to see their 'calculations' regarding our FFP loss.

Precisely this - Everything on that site is based on supposition and guesswork with access to, literally, nothing that isn't in the public domain already.

Hey guys thing is the public face of a private company is only a tiny view of what goes on. The accounts are at best a work of legitimised fiction like most companies I have seen close up. The context, internal transactions, agreements with third parties etc make it very hard for us mere mortals to guess what the real situation is.

Things are tight as the cash and rules have been stretched, pulled, bent and used to try and get us to the promised land...  we could do with Premier League cash so the only accounting we really should worry about is having more goals in the for column than Bolton come 5pm Sat!

10 minutes ago, Ramleicester said:

Hey guys thing is the public face of a private company is only a tiny view of what goes on. The accounts are at best a work of legitimised fiction like most companies I have seen close up. The context, internal transactions, agreements with third parties etc make it very hard for us mere mortals to guess what the real situation is.

Interested to know what you are referring to here? 

I think the acounts are, and historically have been, very detailed. 

The only area I see where it is not possible to come up with educated answers is the reconciloation between accounting loss and FFP loss.

Also no way of no split of wages between players and other departments. 

Other than that not sure there's too much hidden away.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for bumping a really old thread but there's a bit more news relating to us. Sheffield Wednesday have now apparently tried to follow our approach in selling their stadium to themselves to avoid FFP punishment and that's resulted in the EFL reviewing the rules and whether it's acceptable.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-reportedly-sell-hillsborough-2880521

Had a feeling we hadn't heard the end of it

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Apologies for bumping a really old thread but there's a bit more news relating to us. Sheffield Wednesday have now apparently tried to follow our approach in selling their stadium to themselves to avoid FFP punishment and that's resulted in the EFL reviewing the rules and whether it's acceptable.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-reportedly-sell-hillsborough-2880521

I know this is the EFL and therefore it is never going to be straight forward, but surely if it wasnt against the rules when it happened then we cant be screwed over for it when they review it all.... surely any revised versions would be effective from that date and not backdated? 

3 minutes ago, Shorty389 said:

I know this is the EFL and therefore it is never going to be straight forward, but surely if it wasnt against the rules when it happened then we cant be screwed over for it when they review it all.... surely any revised versions would be effective from that date and not backdated? 

That's what I'd hope. If they gave it the green light back then everything should be fine, but with all the noise from Boro and (allegedly) fellow club's owners it wouldn't surprise me if they make changes to keep the majority of the clubs happy and we end up getting punished. It's quite silly really .... Boro chucked £30 million + at players the year they went up and it benefited them, but now they're down here and not doing so well they're kicking up a fuss about other clubs

9 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

...Had a feeling we hadn't heard the end of it

But we have, in theory.

The EFL (or their auditors?) have already reviewed our sale, and passed it as acceptable.  Certain people complained, but a subsequent vote from all Championship clubs chose to accept the way the EFL do their checks, and voted against changing the way these checks are made.

Whether the EFL "change the rules" anytime soon awaits to be seen, but there will be no comeback for us if they do.  They won't "backdate" any punishment.  We've been cleared of any wrongdoing.  That is the end of it.

Sith Happens

The more the EFL prevent owners investing in their own clubs, the wider the gap to the premier league will become.

Still don't see the issue if Mel, or any other owner, wants to pump their own money into their own club.

If they close this loophole, another will be found.

Just insist all clubs have to own their own grounds, mel can sell it back for a quid. Wonder what forest will do?

10 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Why is Bristol so obsessed with this issue? They were banging on about it when we played them.

Each club does its best to 'play' within the FFP rules as best they can and creative accountants come up with new ways of doing this all the time. Other clubs follow until the EFL decides whether it's a loophole they need to close (or not).

It's not as if we were even the first club to do it. As David pointed out, this model is widely followed in the Premier League.

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Why is Bristol so obsessed with this issue? They were banging on about it when we played them.

They need something to talk about, you have to remember their season ended 2 weeks ago, that’s the length of an international break which is a long time in domestic football!

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Each club does its best to 'play' within the FFP rules as best they can and creative accountants come up with new ways of doing this all the time. Other clubs follow until the EFL decides whether it's a loophole they need to close (or not).

It's not as if we were even the first club to do it. As David pointed out, this model is widely followed in the Premier League.

They’ve been droning on about it ever since we beat them!

Its all they have to cling to after our “really poor team” went to their place and pretty much ended their playoff hopes!

Both Villa & Wednesday are looking to follow suit, but I'd be a little more concerned if I was a fan of their team. 

Mel Morris is a lifelong Derby fan who has built the capital to be able to invest in the club he's always supported. 

The Wednesday and Villa owners, on the other hand, made in an investment in their respective clubs because they had the capital to do so. We're seeing something similar now with Forest and Fawaz, considering the latter is trying to sue to former. It certainly is a precarious position for their fanbase considering that a fallout could largely disrupt the entire foundations of the club.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Supposedly Reading made a profit of just £6.5m on theirs. If Wednesday sold theirs they made £7.5m. Not sure on what Villa have done

Villa sold the ground for £57 mill. I know their stadium is a lot older, but thought they'd be able to get more than that for it.

Archived