The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It was a possibility then, but did many people really think Brexit was going to happen at the time? 

Certainly not the Tory leadership who, it seems, were simply using the referendum on EU membership as a tool to win back votes from UKIP.

Now Brexit is going to happen, it's a new reality for everyone.  I can't see why another Scottish independence referendum isn't justified under the new circumstances. 

Why not give Boris the chance to unite the country. Everyone knows Brexit is going to happen. You can't want an Independence referendum until that is done and all the implications, both positive and negative, are known.

I know you're desperate for the Conservatives and Boris to make a mess of all of this. Just like you want Trump to fail. It's not a great trait if you're doing for no other reason than you want to be proven correct. 

19 hours ago, maxjam said:

What agenda, the truth?

Don't they have Metropolitian Police on their backs?  Didn't Sky News report it as London? 

https://news.sky.com/video/anti-johnson-protesters-take-to-london-streets-11885868

Yeah it happened in Scotland as well, so what?  Does that mean it didn't happen in London or only focussing on London proves I have some sort of right wing agenda?

As @G STAR RAM said, take the blinkers off, you'll see the wider picture.

So in you unfettered view, nobody has any right to protest against anything and the country should all be happy clappy ?

I'm glad you and gstar recognised yourselves, 

1 hour ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

From talking to people in the party, including election candidates.

Out of interest, how many of the 180,000 members of the party and how many of the 600+ candidates have you spoken to come to the conclusion that there's widespread support?

Frankly, whilst I myself have no evidence whatsover, I would be very surprised if there is any support other than a small minority of extremist. But, that's just my guess.

10 minutes ago, Norman said:

Why not give Boris the chance to unite the country. Everyone knows Brexit is going to happen. You can't want an Independence referendum until that is done and all the implications, both positive and negative, are known.

I know you're desperate for the Conservatives and Boris to make a mess of all of this. Just like you want Trump to fail. It's not a great trait if you're doing for no other reason than you want to be proven correct. 

funniest thing I've read for a long time, if you believe that you'll believe anything. 

7 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

So in you unfettered view, nobody has any right to protest against anything and the country should all be happy clappy ?

I've never said they don't have the right to protest. 

Claiming 'this is democracy' and 'Boris isn't our Prime Minister' (and thats the clean version) the day after a democratic election though just exposes them for what they are imo - the antifacists have become the facists.   Screaming 'we have to save the NHS' before the new government has even sat down, despite the fact Boris wants to commit a £35bn NHS spending pledge into law is just ridiculous.  

Lets at least give Boris time to work, if he goes against his promises protest then. 

3 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

funniest thing I've read for a long time, if you believe that you'll believe anything. 

Lets march angrily up and down the street instead then and give it to Corbyn, a man who couldn't even gather the support of his own voter base let alone anyone else ?

16 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

They should be protesting against me and the other working classes who voted Conservative. That's what they are angry about. The result. 

You can't protest against a government or cabinet that hasn't been formed, had chance to implement a single pledge or wipe their own arses.

They are protesting against democracy.

29 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I've never said they don't have the right to protest. 

Claiming 'this is democracy' and 'Boris isn't our Prime Minister' (and thats the clean version) the day after a democratic election though just exposes them for what they are imo - the antifacists have become the facists.   Screaming 'we have to save the NHS' before the new government has even sat down, despite the fact Boris wants to commit a £35bn NHS spending pledge into law is just ridiculous.  

Lets at least give Boris time to work, if he goes against his promises protest then. 

Possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a long time....democracy died a long time time ago,  money  always wins.

Do you really think that Boris has made ANY binding  commitments whatsoever ? 5 years is a long time to wait

The irony is , is that this will all work to my  and a lot of others personal advantage.

Do you have secure "brexit free" employment ? are you concerned about those that don't ? 

39 minutes ago, maxjam said:

the antifacists have become the facists. 

You've said this a few times and I'm going to push you to clarify. 

Are they in favour of nationalism or globalism? 

Do they reject or embrace class structures? 

Do they favour or oppose private capital? 

Why are they fascists, and not just a violent mob? 

28 minutes ago, Norman said:

They should be protesting against me and the other working classes who voted Conservative. That's what they are angry about. The result. 

You can't protest against a government or cabinet that hasn't been formed, had chance to implement a single pledge or wipe their own arses.

They are protesting against democracy.

but you can protest against a proven liar,..

Were they wanting to overturn the result ?

You've been pledged nothing,  the only certainty is that the UK will not have to abide by the new EU rules on tax avoidance that come into play on the January 31st......wonder where I've heard that date before ?  

Coincidence 

Jimmy Krankie said in interviews before the election that no one knows what sort of deal we will get with the EU I am surprised she is banging on the drum for another referendum to leave the UK before she has any idea of what the future will look like. I think she is just stirring the pot at the moment. 

We may strike excellent trade deals with other countries that benefit Scotland more than remaining in the EU. 

May be she knows the winning lottery numbers next week.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You may have to educate me here .

I assumed that Scotland would have been aware during the last independence referendum that a vote on leaving the EU was coming around .  Therefore this would have been a consideration at the time.  In which case you can't have your cake and all that . Choice made really .

The Independence vote was September 2014, Cameron announced the Brexit date 20th Feb 2016. 

Not surprisingly, Brexit conversations during the independence debate were few and far between.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of people back home went into the polling booth and couldn't vote Johnson or Corbyn. Fortunately for them, they had a credible 3rd choice. A potential protest vote. 

I dont think people had that choice in England. 

Archived