The Politics Thread 2019

Day

12 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Look again at the video. Great big duck off Antifa flag. WTF is happening with some people.

You know, I completely missed that. 

Still, looks more like the SWP trying to get some attention by latching on to anything they think they can ride on. I don't see any Antifa presence online, barring a few far right sites demonising the anti fascist left. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You know, I completely missed that. 

Still, looks more like the SWP trying to get some attention by latching on to anything they think they can ride on. I don't see any Antifa presence online, barring a few far right sites demonising the anti fascist left. 

Perhaps you only want to see what you want to see.. Plenty of Antifa sites and groups on Facebook and Twitter.

I see anti Tory protests are still taking place outside Downing Street. You know if the result was the other way around, I highly doubt you’d see protesting on the streets. Because unfortunately for the left, many people who couldn’t give a damn about politics need to go about their day, supporting their families and themselves. And that’s how the tories got into power. People were sick and tired going around in circles about Brexit, the public wanted to get this mess sorted. Corbyn offered more delay rather picking a side. And that’s why he got annihilated. People don’t want dithering about. Regardless of if you like Johnson or not, he was clear about his Brexit stance during the run up to the election and a number of labour supporters wanted clarification. 

I hope the public accept that we are going to go in a direction now which a large majority voted for in this election. I accepted Brexit was happening a long time ago, I might have disagreed on why people chose leave but now I think that’s irrelevant. I hope people can now put this EU referendum in the past and look to our future. Rather than constantly going over old ground which I am tired of listening and reading about. It’s boring, not particularly enlightening and I’m about respecting other people’s opinions.

7 hours ago, Norman said:

So who do current Labour voters want as the next Leader of the Opposition? 

Stay far left or go more centre left? 

Slim pickings either way by the list of odds at the moment. Same could be said about the Conservatives a few months a go, though. 

Depressing, really. 

Jess Phillips, she would run rings round Johnson. Totally authentic but think could be pragmatic too.

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Some nice little stories here about why The Tory party is clearly a friend of their new working class voters. Thank god those awful Labour elites didn't get into power.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/13/super-rich-family-buy-65m-house-to-celebrate-johnsons-victory

One example of c£7.5m of stamp duty tax in a property deal going into the Government’s Revenues that might not have happened if the vote had gone the other way. Pay a good few nurses with that. What’s not to like?

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

One example of c£7.5m of stamp duty tax in a property deal going into the Government’s Revenues that might not have happened if the vote had gone the other way. Pay a good few nurses with that. What’s not to like?

Do you think he could afford to pay a little bit more tax? Or would that push him into food bank territory? 

Just now, GboroRam said:

Do you think he could afford to pay a little bit more tax? Or would that push him into food bank territory? 

You really have no idea what other tax ‘he’ might be paying either directly (or indirectly). Both the last two posts smack of the politics of envy.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Now I know you are not one that will hide from debate and will answer respectfully even if you disagree with my view, so I will put the below to you. 

Your story above shows how people stick up for their close friends against racism. If you believe Boris is racist, how does this reconcile with him having Javid and Patel in his cabinet? Do you not think they would have something to say about him being a racist?

Ok, let's assume Johnson is a racist and you see Corbyn as the better option. How would you feel about Corbyn having Dianne Abbot as Home Secretary given her past racist comments?

Don’t you know that in “newspeak” there is no such thing as black on white racism 

The left have given us a few laughs over the last week or so. Comedy policies (free broadband, robbing companies we work for, repealing union laws), Diane Abbott, Corbyns out of date ramblings, Lily Allens blubbing and now daft protesters. Thanks! ?

Have they admitted they just aren't that popular yet and stood down?  At least Jo Swinson did the honourable thing immediately.

I'm concerned Corbyn might not actually stand down, or that Momentum might replace like for like.  I'm not bothered if this version of Labour don't get anywhere near power but the country needs a strong opposition

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Is that a yes or a no? 

Like you completely missing a f off big Antifa flag, you completely miss the point that overall tax revenue is not necessarily increased by hiking up income tax rates.  

Pointless arguing, you have a fixed ideology that ain’t ever going to change. 

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Like you completely missing a f off big Antifa flag, you completely miss the point that overall tax revenue is not necessarily increased by hiking up income tax rates.  

Pointless arguing, you have a fixed ideology that ain’t ever going to change. 

You got me. Same as you though. 

Anyway, I imagine anyone buying a 65m house in London is likely laundering Russian oil money. But we're open for business with those guys. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Would he have bought the house though if he had to pay more tax, once again a short sighted view of someone else already paying their way but for some it’s still not enough.

When you buy a cup of coffee or a beer can you afford to pay more ?

7 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Would he have bought the house though if he had to pay more tax, once again a short sighted view of someone else already paying their way but for some it’s still not enough.

Exactly.

This transaction has probably just netted the government circa £8m, which will be more than I pay in a lifetime and yet it's still not good enough for some.

16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

If it was a £65m beer, probably I could. 

Archived