The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Please don't overuse the word fascist. It refers to a very specific thing. Mob of idiots, violent criminals, even stalinist/communist reactionaries I will maybe disagree with but I'll see your point of view - but to call people fascists just because you don't like their actions is watering down what fascism is. 

Oh the irony!

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

The people I call fascists are marching carrying swastikas on flags. Some people defend their freeze peach. 

Isnt everyone entitled to free speech?

Never really noticed you as one for pulling up your fellow lefties on use of extreme language.

Guess it's only classed as extreme when it opposes your view though.

4 hours ago, Bound 2 tease said:

So in you unfettered view, nobody has any right to protest against anything and the country should all be happy clappy ?

I'm glad you and gstar recognised yourselves, 

What are they protesting against exactly?

The fact that they dont like someone?

Do you think that this is good use of police resources?

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Never really noticed you as one for pulling up your fellow lefties on use of extreme language.

Feel free to report any extreme language. 

You notice I didn't alter anyone's posts but asked @maxjam to back it up. He was the one who said it was the wrong word to use. Which I'm fine with - even gave him a like I think. 

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not on this thread.. censorship ya know.

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Not on this thread.. censorship ya know.

I think you'll find there's laws that prevent you from writing anything you want. 

Free speech is freedom from the government restricting your right to say something (in the USA - there is no freedom of speech concept in UK law). It isn't freedom from consequences for saying it. 

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You notice I didn't alter anyone's posts but asked @maxjam to back it up. He was the one who said it was the wrong word to use. Which I'm fine with - even gave him a like I think. 

And how many times have you asked posters to back up their claims of 'racist'?

I'm guessing that will be 0.

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think you'll find there's laws that prevent you from writing anything you want. 

Free speech is freedom from the government restricting your right to say something (in the USA - there is no freedom of speech concept in UK law). It isn't freedom from consequences for saying it. 

Whoooosh way over your head...

39 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I was happy to correct the word, I'm normally pretty careful with what I say and agree they were more an angry mob than fascists.

However, I think the point that I and others are making is that Antfia, an angry mob spewing profanities and wearing 'Kill Tory' jackets get incorrectly labelled facists and their defence is lept to.  People get called far right or fascist on here for far less and smiley face emoji's ensue. 

Here's an interesting fact that makes FPTP even more puzzling

For all the (seemingly true) anecdotal evidence that Corbyn was just so unpopular that people couldn't bring themselves to vote for him - he still got more votes last Thursday than Tony Blair got when he won the 2005 election. 

Bottom line is that no Labour leader could have won this election. There was no Brexit position they could have taken  that would have captured enough seats

12 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Here's an interesting fact that makes FPTP even more puzzling

For all the (seemingly true) anecdotal evidence that Corbyn was just so unpopular that people couldn't bring themselves to vote for him - he still got more votes last Thursday than Tony Blair got when he won the 2005 election. 

Bottom line is that no Labour leader could have won this election. There was no Brexit position they could have taken  that would have captured enough seats

Saw that earlier....

Almost 7m more people in the country since 2005.  Also the Muslim population has grown significantly;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslim-voters-uk-general-election-kensington-putney-a9234431.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/12/muslims-turned-to-labour-rejected-tory-party

Top Map; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_London

Bottom Map; Labour Seats 2019

Islam_Greater_London_2011_census.png

download.jpg

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

There was no Brexit position they could have taken  that would have captured enough seats

True.  As the polls suggest,  weak leadership not brexit was the deciding factor. 

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Saw that earlier....

Almost 7m more people in the country since 2005.  Also the Muslim population has grown significantly;

Interesting - especially this quote. You can see why they didn't want to vote Tory

“Many Muslims are fed up of Islamophobia being normalised, of MPs, councillors, candidates and even the Prime Minister making Islamophobic comments and facing almost no repercussions. People expect better of their politicians, and British Muslims deserve representatives that actually seek to represent them.”

It still feels deeply suspect that anti-semitism in the Labour party was frequently front page news, and dragged up over and over - in comparison to Islamaphobia in the Tory party which seemed to get mentioned in dispatches but seemed to gain no traction with the media.

And it wasn't Corbyn who made directly made fun of jewish tradititional dress - nor was it Corbyn who committed to an independent inquiry into anti-semitism on live TV and then completely backtracked within 24 hours 

Did you see the horrendous replies to Baroness Warsi's tweet making a new call for the inquiry to start?

Just have a browse - some of them are in line with the type of thing you are keen to have an open discussion about - but then dozens of them are just pure outright disgusting islamaphobia and racism. How do you have an open discussion in this climate?

12 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Saw that earlier....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslim-voters-uk-general-election-kensington-putney-a9234431.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/12/muslims-turned-to-labour-rejected-tory-party

Top Map; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_London

Bottom Map; Labour Seats 2019

Islam_Greater_London_2011_census.png

download.jpg

Genuine question, are Muslims more likely to vote Labour than any other party?

Archived