The Politics Thread 2019

Day

18 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Interesting - especially this quote. You can see why they didn't want to vote Tory

It still feels deeply suspect that anti-semitism in the Labour party was frequently front page news, and dragged up over and over - in comparison to Islamaphobia in the Tory party which seemed to get mentioned in dispatches but seemed to gain no traction with the media.

I said maybe 100 pages ago now after Corbyn's interview with Andrew Neil on prime time TV that perhaps he didn't outright apologise because 250k votes lost equals 4m votes gained (total UK Jewish population vs Muslim population). 

Whether either party is anti-semitic or islamophobic or to what degree is neither here nor there, if you can appear as one and not the other there's a lot of votes at stake.  Oooh, conspiracy theory time!  The two previous maps I posted showed almost 100% correlation of high density muslim areas and Labour seats. 

I'd suggest that both main parties have work to do vs racism, I don't know how you start it though.  Maybe a mass apology from both parties and a commitment to free speech in the House of Commons, with inevitable future minor slip ups dealt with by apology rather than outrage/sacking cutlure.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

And how many times have you asked posters to back up their claims of 'racist'?

I'm guessing that will be 0.

For people who go on and on about free speech and the like, you all get very worked up by these supposed accusations of been racist/xenophobic etc.

I can't remember reading any accusations of racism on this forum, at least since the politics thread came back. I assume there must be regular accusations like this as the same people keep going on and on about it, but that they are always deleted by the mods before I get round to reading them.

You snowflakes need to believe in yourself more and not get as uppity when one of the communists on here suggests that the People's PM Johnson has said some pretty irresponsible things in the past. Like his infamous Letterbox slur, clearly intended to cause division and let certain sections of society know he can give it to the Muslims.

Imagine the indignation of everyone if Corbyn had use similar crass language to laugh at the appearance or orthodox Jews and imply he couldn't trust them as they were hiding behind their big beards.

14 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Genuine question, are Muslims more likely to vote Labour than any other party?

Given that Bojo has been a little careless in the past when describing muslim women and labour has got a problem with antisemetism so by extension Israel (no friend of any muslims) i think the answer would have to be labour one would think.

10 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'd suggest that both main parties have work to do vs racism, I don't know how you start it though.  

Absolutely - my point was more about the media handling of the two sides. Is that because there are a lot of famous personalities in the media who happen to be jewish - and thus the anti-semitism scandals were amplified in a way that the islamaphobia stuff wasn't? Or is it that the ISIS terrorism stuff makes people less likely to be sympathetic to islamaphobia?

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I can't remember reading any accusations of racism on this forum, at least since the politics thread came back.

I know we're not supposed to discuss deleted posts but in the interests of openness - I admit that I did call out a post as having racist undertones in the language that the poster used - and my post was deleted to stop the inevitable argument. Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Absolutely - my point was more about the media handling of the two sides. Is that because there are a lot of famous personalities in the media who happen to be jewish - and thus the anti-semitism scandals were amplified in a way that the islamaphobia stuff wasn't? Or is it that the ISIS terrorism stuff makes people less likely to be sympathetic to islamaphobia?

I think if you start picking sides for whatever reason its gonna end badly.  There has to be a blanket statement and commitment to do better, lay out some ground rules and go from there.  I don't like all this historical blame game, times change and so do people and societies.  We can't change the past but we can do better in the future. 

If we all want to live together everyone has to give a little and take a little.  If we can't even discuss what the boundaries are then we'll all have differing views as to who has overstepped them and by how much.  Start afresh, employ a philosophy of education and forgiveness for inadvertent transgressions whilst punishing the actual racists.  Sounds simple really.

45 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

For people who go on and on about free speech and the like, you all get very worked up by these supposed accusations of been racist/xenophobic etc.

I can't remember reading any accusations of racism on this forum, at least since the politics thread came back. I assume there must be regular accusations like this as the same people keep going on and on about it, but that they are always deleted by the mods before I get round to reading them.

You snowflakes need to believe in yourself more and not get as uppity when one of the communists on here suggests that the People's PM Johnson has said some pretty irresponsible things in the past. Like his infamous Letterbox slur, clearly intended to cause division and let certain sections of society know he can give it to the Muslims.

Imagine the indignation of everyone if Corbyn had use similar crass language to laugh at the appearance or orthodox Jews and imply he couldn't trust them as they were hiding behind their big beards.

You do realise that none of us are actually bothered about the labels thrown at us.

We just like to point out the blatant hypocrisy. 

Farage is a racist

Johnson is a racist

Tommy Robinson is a racist

Ok, let's discuss Diane Abbots racist comments...

Oh no they've been taken out of context blah blah blah.

Its laughable.

I like the Johnson letterbox one the best. Why is context not being used there? He was defending peoples right to wear them. But oh no, this was a racist comment designed to cause division.

4 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I didn't realise the top map was labelled!

Yeah sorry the info was in the wiki link, the darker the green the greater the Muslim population.  Overlap the seats Labour won in the General election with it and its virtually identical. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I like the Johnson letterbox one the best. Why is context not being used there? He was defending peoples right to wear them. But oh no, this was a racist comment designed to cause division.

Really? I thought he was arguing the women should be free to not wear them. I.e. They were a symbol of oppression.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Really? I thought he was arguing the women should be free to not wear them. I.e. They were a symbol of oppression.

He argues both that they're a symbol of oppression, and women should be free to choose to wear them. The Telegraph article is behind a paywall, but it's transcribed in its entirety in the link below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/95kg2e/denmark_has_got_it_wrong_yes_the_burka_is/?st=k47tfkpb&sh=c9fc05e8

4 hours ago, Anon said:

He argues both that they're a symbol of oppression, and women should be free to choose to wear them. The Telegraph article is behind a paywall, but it's transcribed in its entirety in the link below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/95kg2e/denmark_has_got_it_wrong_yes_the_burka_is/?st=k47tfkpb&sh=c9fc05e8

Absolutely nothing...

19 hours ago, Highgate said:

I can't see why another Scottish independence referendum isn't justified under the new circumstances

I think the issue for me is calling Scotland a country. It is not, a country has its own sovereign government. Scotland has not had that for 300 years

It is a region of the UK and has no more right to be independent than say, Cornwall, or Yorkshire. 

10 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I think the issue for me is calling Scotland a country. It is not, a country has its own sovereign government. Scotland has not had that for 300 years

It is a region of the UK and has no more right to be independent than say, Cornwall, or Yorkshire. 

Incoming........................ ?

Archived