The Politics Thread 2019

Day

If anyone here has aspired to run the country by the way; getting into politics properly now and climbing up over the next 5 years is a great opportunity.

Could end up with a proper dictator next time! ?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penny for Jo Swinsons thoughts right now. 

I assume just as she said that if she was voted in to power (yes she really did say that) that she would see that as a mandate for revoking article 50, she will see this vote for Boris as a mandate to get Brexit sorted once and for all...

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

What would be more disappointing as tourist though?

Watching a flat loch all day, or seeing a flabby arse breach the surface?

She could always paint 'Get Broxit Done' across her cheeks, I suppose.

That's not a typo either, there has to be a O in the middle after all.

Maybe need a new slogan!

None of that is something i want to visualise 

I fear for the young of our country. Unless they or their parents are independently wealthy or at least in a secure well paid job. Then I can't see any good on the horizon for our future generations. 

If the tories fail to deliver on their promises, then I think the tories will need more than the promised 20,000 extra police to help keep control of our streets.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Perhaps. @86 Schmokes & a Pancake said earlier:

As to what I'd like, that would be an end to austerity measures, an economic strategy that might actually stimulate the economy rather than strangling it, a fairer benefits system for those who have genuine need, a living wage and for the government to address child poverty. If that means I pay an extra couple of pence on the pound in tax, I'm fine with that.

I can’t think many would disagree with any of that. Labour needs to find a credible Leader offering less radical left wing policies. If it does it will again appeal to many voters who quite like the centre ground.

Well once I've finished these tenders, I'm available...

Well, once I sober up anyway.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Penny for Jo Swinsons thoughts right now. 

I assume just as she said that if she was voted in to power (yes she really did say that) that she would see that as a mandate for revoking article 50, she will see this vote for Boris as a mandate to get Brexit sorted once and for all...

There’s a good chance she’ll be gone soon as well imo. 

The policy of cancelling Brexit has spectacularly backfired and lost millions of votes. Mine included. 

Just now, 1of4 said:

I fear for the young of our country. Unless they or their parents are independently wealthy or at least in a secure well paid job. Then I can't see any good on the horizon for our future generations. 

If the tories fail to deliver on their promises, then I think the tories will need more than the promised 20,000 extra police to help keep control of our streets.

There's plenty of hope for the youth! Emigration is way more accessible nowadays. ?

2 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

That's the spirit!

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Or maybe people saw his lies for what they really were, an awful PR stunt.

Maybe so, I'll happily hold my hands up and say I was duped if the NHS remains safe after Brexit. 

I assume you'll do the same if it starts being sold off?

Just now, SaintRam said:

Maybe so, I'll happily hold my hands up and say I was duped if the NHS remains safe after Brexit. 

I assume you'll do the same if it starts being sold off?

100%

None of us have crystal balls and only go with our gut feeling.

From what I have heard (not read it all myself) there is nothing in that document that indicates that the NHS will be sold off to the Americans.  

Donald Trump had said they are not interested.

If it turns out to be a lie, I would never vote Conservative again. 

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Labour were just too ambitious.

Next time, just promise to make things a tiny little bit less poo than today, and leave the transformative things unsaid until in power, if asked about them during campaigning then deny.

Pretty much like the Tories have done this time around.

Just now, Uptherams said:

Whether or not you voted for this, it is the first time in almost 10 years that we have a Government capable of delivering without having to rely on other parties or keep a minority group onside. This is a good thing. 

Hindsight will tell us if its a good thing; but things will surely actually happen - you're right.

Not saying CONs will definitely take us backwards; its just that they might and I'm not convinced moving backwards is better than moving nowhere - although it is in some (long term) philosophies.

Fair play to anyone that wants to rub my nose in it, as the regular posters know I'm no fan of the Tories - but given what happened in the US with Trump and now here with Boris Johnson, is no one slightly concerned for the future of politics when lying and avoiding  scrutiny seems to be a successful strategy?

Even if you get the result you wanted tonight - this can't bode well 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

100%

None of us have crystal balls and only go with our gut feeling.

From what I have heard (not read it all myself) there is nothing in that document that indicates that the NHS will be sold off to the Americans.  

Donald Trump had said they are not interested.

If it turns out to be a lie, I would never vote Conservative again. 

Would never be overt of course.

How would you know if eg NICE were presented with choices of drugs from us pharma companies at several times the price of current?

This sort of thing is well hidden from view and only usually gets surfaced in places like private eye - which has a tiny circulation. 

Well the pound is surging following the exit poll;

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pound-surges-as-uk-exit-poll-predicts-strong-boris-johnson-victory-2019-12-12

I personally think assuming the Tories have a large majority and 'get Brexit done' we'll see a lot of investment in the UK and things start to take off again.  We've been in limbo for the past 3 years and the uncertainty has been killing us. 

Archived