The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I will comeback to you later. It’s difficult to read on my phone. 

I wouldn't bother, it's only pub talk.

After watching that debate tonight, I'd slap em both if they darkened my doorstep!

How do the least impressive people end up representing the people?

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I guess so, but you get the same with labour supporters. Never seen one criticise dianne abbott for the things she has said

Blinkered views on both sides

Sadly though, they just can’t see it. I have looked back at some of the comments, questions asked but not answered. Conundrums, musings, finding solutions Pahhh .. I have an ideology thou shall not pass.

Blind or biased beyond belief. Pointless debating discussing. Preachers to the choir. Compromise ? Pragmatism ? Practicality ? What are they ? Alien concepts 

29 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I wouldn't bother, it's only pub talk.

After watching that debate tonight, I'd slap em both if they darkened my doorstep!

How do the least impressive people end up representing the people?

Time to focus on policies rather than personalities. 

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Time to focus on policies rather than personalities. 

PR/Election gurus at work!

'Strong and stable' has morphed into 'Get Brexit done'.

I'd quite like to hear the politicians in their own words, using their own brains to formulate the answer. 

I assume research has been done, stating that simple repeatable phrases go down well with the electorate whether true or not, regardless if it's anything to do with the question asked?

4 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I assume research has been done, stating that simple repeatable phrases go down well with the electorate whether true or not, regardless if it's anything to do with the question asked?

100%. Answer all questions with a soundbite... "Get Brexit Done" or "Lets Make America Great Again". 

Spoon feed that warm diarrhoea to the electorate.

And if any interviewer threatens to not let you get away with it, just don't turn up to the interview.

38 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Oh dear. So it turns out the leaked documents on Reddit came from the hands of Russia. So Labour used Russian leaked documents, that didn't actually confirm the NHS is for sale, during this election campaign.

Used leaked Russian documents. ??

Maybe. Still want to know what those redacted documents say.

And is everyone still unconcerned about Russian interference in our democratic institutions?

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

Do you know what when I look at him I want to puke 

We've butted heads a couple of times recently so without prejudice, why is that? 

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

He’s a loser

Again, honest question, in what waydo you see Corbyn as a loser? His failure to displace the Tories or just in general?

8 hours ago, Curtains said:

He’s a loser is John. 

Arch remainer just like zjeremy 

Was the key player in the talks that brought about the Good Friday Agreement. Is ending the troubles not significant in your mind? Many failed before him.

Do you put Cameron, May and Johnson above him in terms of achievements? 

Do you see anyone who favours remaining in the EU, even if they see that dramatic reforms are required, as being a loser?

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

Pity they didn’t close down the Labour Party

I'm assuming this is tongue in cheek and that you don't really favour a single party state?

59 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Maybe. Still want to know what those redacted documents say.

And is everyone still unconcerned about Russian interference in our democratic institutions?

Your whole narrative is falling apart. Have a reset after this election. 

7 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Because if you have a disability that doesn't mean you get a free pass. Everyone has a disability and everyone goes through performance reviews. The whole point is that no one in general does exactly as expected, all the time. That many people can be exceeding their peers, for the same role and yet be put on a review. It's the harsh reality of the environment. 

The guy i mentioned earlier for example, liked the amount of work he was undertaking. Yet his minders were trying to get him an extra day. It would have lead to him being miserable and overworked. People have different circumstances. Businesses can not just accomdate for everyone. Therefore removing some barriers is a good thing. It's about finding the best formula. 

I would have enjoyed having another handful of people in the same circumstances, working with the rest of us. But there wasn't the budget to do so. These are not roles in general. They are roles specifically created for people out of the kindness of an employer's heart and it's management. 

Hmmm... Your opening gambit, which I assume was meant to read, 'Because you have a disability that doesn't mean you get a free pass' - has anyone suggested as much and even if they had, would it be so awful? Literally nobody is talking about free passes here anyway, just a scenario whereby larger employers take on someone who might be 15 points short of standard productivity targets without penalising them for being so. That's not a free pass!

You've alluded to all manner of business practices, performance reviews and the like, well what about CSR? What better way is there for larger entities to show corporate social responsibility than to provide opportunities to those who might not otherwise be afforded them? If P & L is really the only consideration then they can make a huge song and dance about their worthiness of such initiatives and garner good faith by the bucket load in doing so. That kind of PR is priceless to some firms and if paying 20 guys out of the 2,000 who work the line the same whack as the those without disabilities is all that's required, it's a righteous bargain, especially if the business in question is consumer focussed. 

You infer such roles are by the good graces of 'kind employers', I'd counter that in the modern business world, being seen to not make such allowances could be hugely damaging. If Pelaton can see $1.5 billion wiped of their share value over an ad that is mildly sexist at worst, what might be the potential losses should it be revealed that employees with disabilities are paid on a output / performance related sliding scale (and less than minimum wage) for doing the same job as able-bodied counterparts? It'd be incredibly naive to think that potential customers would view such practices as anything but hugely discriminatory and probably rightly so. 

3 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Oh dear. So it turns out the leaked documents on Reddit came from the hands of Russia. So Labour used Russian leaked documents, that didn't actually confirm the NHS is for sale, during this election campaign.

Used leaked Russian documents. ??

Russian influence everywhere.  My goodness they get around and what a useful tool they are to disable critical thinking

000217aad685964562a08454bb0c3e5ee83c8081babaf66574d4951dbe799a8ae6cf.jpg

Whatever was discussed last night there is a few things still clear. Labour will repeal ALL trade union laws brought in the curb repeats of the 1970s. They will extend freedom of movement (who knows what sort of person that will let in....maybe ask Sweden?). They never, ever balance the books and therefore taxes will increase for EVERYONE to pay for their spend spend spend attitude. Companies and owners (even small businesses > 250 employees owners on more than £80k) will be raided. Yes companies, you know, that we all work for and get paid wages. Daft Abbott as home secretary. It's a no from me.

8 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

We've butted heads a couple of times recently so without prejudice, why is that? 

Again, honest question, in what waydo you see Corbyn as a loser? His failure to displace the Tories or just in general?

Was the key player in the talks that brought about the Good Friday Agreement. Is ending the troubles not significant in your mind? Many failed before him.

Do you put Cameron, May and Johnson above him in terms of achievements? 

Do you see anyone who favours remaining in the EU, even if they see that dramatic reforms are required, as being a loser?

I'm assuming this is tongue in cheek and that you don't really favour a single party state?

I just see Corbyn as a loser who would trash the economy as Labour governments do. .

I remember Red Robbo and the winter of discontent and the 4 day week .

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/derek-robinson-giant-of-the-trades-union-movement-in-the-seventies-a8035526.html

Yes I do want to leave the EU and I see remoaners putting roadblocks in the way all the time. 

Yes I do think we will be more prosperous after leaving and the referendum result should be respected. 

Do you want a worse party leader than Corbyn well I’ll give you Sturgeon and an alliance of them two would be intolerable.

PS Why do you think dumber and dumber would work well 

14 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

I'm with you Jeremy, but this I can't do...

Screenshot_20191206-173625_Facebook.thumb.jpg.76fd33387fca43ac314656258bff8a28.jpg

I knew i had seen him before:

henry-winkler-barry-fonzie-1a.jpg?qualit

This election could actually be Jeremys ' Jump the shark ' moment.

30 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I just see Corbyn as a loser who would trash the economy as Labour governments do.

It's not true to say labour trashed the economy. External influences caused it, and the Tories have continued it.

What was the point of austerity?

uk_government_debt_in_cash.png

Archived