The Politics Thread 2019

Day

50 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Lads - we're all in big trouble

This Henry Gabay investor fella is retweeting Remainer/People's Vote propaganda on his Twitter feed, so that's one half of us down on him already

Then the fact he's a hedge fund manager and a billionaire, means the other half of us are out too

Finally we can be united!

Where are we meeting up to link arms around Pride Park?

Who wants to volunteer to glue themselves to MM car?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

This Henry Gabay investor fella is retweeting Remainer/People's Vote propaganda on his Twitter feed, so that's one half of us down on him already

Then the fact he's a hedge fund manager and a billionaire, means the other half of us are out too

united in hate! One of the strongest human emotions, he has no chance

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've been a bit busy over the last week or so and not really read the news or this thread.  I'm more than bored by this election now and nothing new seems to have happened for the last week or so.

Still hopeful of a hung parliament with a remainish Coalition. Don't really understand why the non-far right parties aren't standing together to keep the lunatics out and have a non-extreme approach to Brexit. Seems to me that Labour have the most sensible Brexit strategy and can't understand why the remain parties didn't sort out a sensible policy together. Immediately revoking article 50 may be what I ultimately want but it's going to turn off Brexit moderates. 2nd referendum seems so obvious.

Trump/Brexit style electioneering combined with unaccountable social media seems to have pushed politics into a position where it cannot continue in it's current form. We need some great reforms or else we could be heading towards a place with little or no hope.

Labours policy is not Brexit though is it. Brexit has become party political and it should never have been. We now see a Labour party split between Leave and Remain, same as the Tories. I assume you mean the Tories by 'far right' but I would contest your vision of 'far right'. 

Do you really blame politicians for deferring to social media? Do any of them (left or right), get a fair hearing in the mainstream media? I am sick and tired of listening to interviews now, I want to hear what their policies are but they get lost in rhetoric about something, someone said 10 years ago. 

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Bring back Sam.. 

This geezer will become another Uncle Bumble mistake.

5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Labours policy is not Brexit though is it. Brexit has become party political and it should never have been. We now see a Labour party split between Leave and Remain, same as the Tories. I assume you mean the Tories by 'far right' but I would contest your vision of 'far right'. 

Do you really blame politicians for deferring to social media? Do any of them (left or right), get a fair hearing in the mainstream media? I am sick and tired of listening to interviews now, I want to hear what their policies are but they get lost in rhetoric about something, someone said 10 years ago. 

I think you're right. Brexit has dominated the election but it's not the be all and end all of politics. In my opinion there's far more important things that need to be considered, and I'd hate for anyone to vote purely on Brexit as the key riding factor. The wider issues should be what drive people's decisions. Unfortunately the press are pushing the Brexit angle as the main element, and Boris is happy to ride on it (although to be honest his microwave Brexit looks poo, whoever thought comparing Brexit to a low quality microwave meal was a good idea needs a wake-up call).

My main worries are the mountains of political adverts masquerading as focus groups on Facebook. Millions of pounds appears to have been pumped into sending fake messages out to the public, who are mostly ignorant of the facts and seldom check anything. Facebook is turning into the most evil behemoth I could imagine.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I see you only mention Johnson and the Conservatives in relation to lying.

Are they any more dishonest than the other parties?

Just to remind people of 2 of the biggest lies in political history:-

1 - Corbyn and Labour promising to deliver on the result of the Referendum

2 - Swinson and Lib Dems promising not to raise tuition fees

Yet both of these get swept under the carpet and instead people concentrate on what Johnson had done in his private life or previous jobs.

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not defending Johnson here, a lie is a lie, but can we just stop with this charade of pretending he is the only politician that is dishonest with the electorate.

And he hasn't shagged Diane Abbott.

My Labour voting colleagues have just been jumping with joy because of Boris's People Of Colour comment, the sad faces when they realised it was incorrect, they are currently listening to it again and again to try and prove he said Colour not talent. 

Bit pathetic really.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

My Labour voting colleagues have just been jumping with joy because of Boris's People Of Colour comment, the sad faces when they realised it was incorrect, they are currently listening to it again and again to try and prove he said Colour not talent. 

Bit pathetic really.

People on Twitter are desperately trying to claim he said people of colour too. He's talked about people of talent on multiple occasions, it's disgusting that Channel 4 have whipped up this controversy from nowhere.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

People on Twitter are desperately trying to claim he said people of colour too. He's talked about people of talent on multiple occasions, it's disgusting that Channel 4 have whipped up this controversy from nowhere.

My colleagues are still trying to prove it.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

My colleagues are still trying to prove it.

to be fair though it will some technology to interrogate his speeches though, usually on a few words are articulated;  mumble, mumble, vacillate, something slurred, an interval where he talks about something unrelated , a mumble and then 'get brexit done'.  Effing classic politician speak; don't answer the question, if you do make it unintelligible and end it with a sound bite.

I recognise that my problem is probably that I dislike the 2 faced worm so much my confirmation bias is on overload!?

Archived