The Politics Thread 2019

Day

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It his opinion he feels strongly about it, like many others.

I am sure those enjoying the peace in Northern Ireland don't consider him a loser.

I’m sure that using the Irish Border issue to stop Brexit is ridiculous. 

Someone told me there was a bomb in Derry recently 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

So what did the performance reviews comment have to do with anything then. 

Because if you have a disability that doesn't mean you get a free pass. Everyone has a disability and everyone goes through performance reviews. The whole point is that no one in general does exactly as expected, all the time. That many people can be exceeding their peers, for the same role and yet be put on a review. It's the harsh reality of the environment. 

The guy i mentioned earlier for example, liked the amount of work he was undertaking. Yet his minders were trying to get him an extra day. It would have lead to him being miserable and overworked. People have different circumstances. Businesses can not just accomdate for everyone. Therefore removing some barriers is a good thing. It's about finding the best formula. 

I would have enjoyed having another handful of people in the same circumstances, working with the rest of us. But there wasn't the budget to do so. These are not roles in general. They are roles specifically created for people out of the kindness of an employer's heart and it's management. 

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I see we once again into the phase where Labour supporters are mocking the working class for having their own thought processes and making their own decisions. Remember children, Nanny Corbyn knows best.

Nothing says you care about the working class like patronising them for not thinking the same way as you.

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nothing says you care about the working class like patronising them for not thinking the same way as you.

Well, of course the trickle down effect of tax cuts for the rich has been debunked, so perhaps there's a little truth in what I'm saying. 

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

WTF..

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Things just seem to get incrementally worse and worse, small things that are barely noticeable in themselves, yet you look back a decade, indeed more and it hits you how far we've regressed. AND OTHER THINGS GET BETTER AND BETTER. EXPLAIN WHERE WE HAVE REGRESSED SO MUCH.

Access to housing, healthcare, social security, our transport infrastructure, social mobility, education and secure employment, all eroded piece by piece over decades at the capitalist altar, by all parties too. ACCESS TO EDUCATION.. MORE PEOPLE NOW DOING POINTLESS DEGREE'S THAN EVER BEFORE. 

I notice you've ignored housing, healthcare, social security and social mobility and employment, so I'll answer your questions in order.

So you think more people doing pointless degrees (your words not mine), is a sign of progress.

What about class sizes, the shortage of qualified teachers, the crumbling buildings we hold lessons in, the proliferation of free schools and Academy's competing with LEA's for funding, while awarding their management higher and higher salaries with no evidence of performance being lifted, and often having to be bailed out by central funding or merged with Multi Academy trusts, similar to the the LEA system but with much higher costs.

TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE. THE WORLD IS A SMALL PLACE NOW AND WE ALL BENEFIT FROM THAT. 

People cram the tracks to see the Flying Scotsman make speeds modern trains can only dream of.

According to recent studies, we're on average 25 years behind on our road resurfacing programme, instead spending our time fixing road potholes that would not have occured had we maintained the roads as they should be. Obviously to be that far behind schedule isn't a party political issue, but it's hardly a sign of progress is it? 

50 years ago the USA could put a man on the moon, now they can't build a wall. THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BUILD THE BLOODY THING. SNOWFLAKES ON THE LEFT STOPPING THEM. POINTLESS POINT.

He can't build the wall, because they can't afford it.

If only companies didn't offshore their operations, maybe he could?

France and ourselves could join together to design and build an aircraft to get you to NYC in less than half the time it takes now. TOO NOISY, NOT COST EFFECTIVE. BIG IS BEAUTIFUL NOW WITH THE A380, LESS POLLUTION MORE PEOPLE CARRIED.

Bizarre to cite the A380 as an example of progress when it's already been scrapped, due to it's lack of cost effectiveness.

Are you saying that people at the arse end of the 60's were wrong to hope the technology would have evolved in the 50 years since to make such travel as Concorde the norm? 

We were promised JetPacks!

Where's the progress, where's the ambition, if a full Capitalist system is so superior to the mixed economy where are the benefits? TECHNOLOGY HAS MADE HUGE LEAPS UNDER CAPITALISM, DO YOU NOT BENEFIT FROM YOUR PHONE, HIVE, OR ANYTHING ELSE?

The mobile phone, internet and the connected IOF is indeed a great advance, only made possible by state investment.

The only progress I see made is in our interactions with each other on a personal level, and in the current environment even that seems on shaky ground. SOCIAL MEDIA ? IS THAT PROGRESSION?

I didn't mention social media, other than this site I don't use it.

I meant in our daily interactions with each other.

No one nips down the **** shop anymore, few bat an eyelid seeing a same sex couple holding hands in the street, I'd say we're kinder to each other face to face than we've ever been, so that's progress of sort.

Spent far too long on this answer, no chance of having the sprouts edible for Xmas day now!

We're ducked, ain't we? NOPE...

Archived