The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Even John Major is saying duck the Tories, at least in seats in which Tory rebels are standing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-general-election-campaign-john-major-conservatives-vote-a9235436.html

His view doesn't really matter, his management of the economy was absolutely disastrous.

2 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Corbyn was strongly influenced by Tony Benn and Peter Shore in the 1970s. The world has moved on since then.

Perhaps, but he's certainly not an 'arch Remainer'. You only have to look at his lacklustre campaigning in 2016 to see that. I'd argue he's a Eurosceptic who would rather stay in and reform.

31 minutes ago, maxjam said:

One clip sounds like its had the audio cleaned up, the other sounds like its been slightly edited to muddy the word imo.

Anyway, Channel 4 have responded

Lefties on twitter are raging that we've all been brainwashed by the facist right-wing media.  So just another day then.

Was that John Snow of Channel 4 apologising the same John Snow that said ???? the Tories 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

He’s a loser is John. 

Arch remainer just like zjeremy 

It his opinion he feels strongly about it, like many others.

I am sure those enjoying the peace in Northern Ireland don't consider him a loser.

22 minutes ago, ramit said:

Tory candidate Sally-Ann Hart defending her earlier comments that people with learning disabilities should be paid less than the minimum wage, because they don't understand money.

She says people with learning disabilities dont understand money...perhaps she needs to understand the concept of slave labour. What an horrendous thing to say.

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

John Major came along when the Tories needed a more or less normal human being after the horror of Thatcher. They have now reverted to type.

Think the alternative of either Callaghan, Foot or Kinnock would have been worse.

35 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

She says people with learning disabilities dont understand money...perhaps she needs to understand the concept of slave labour. What an horrendous thing to say.

It is a deeply insensitive thing to say - but sadly there are plenty of Tory voters who will be nodding along and agreeing

Same with the Talent/Colour thing. It doesn't actually matter which he said. Plenty of Tory voters nodding along when they thought he said colour.

It's called playing to the crowd - straight out the Trump/Bannon playbook

12 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It is a deeply insensitive thing to say - but sadly there are plenty of Tory voters who will be nodding along and agreeing

Same with the Talent/Colour thing. It doesn't actually matter which he said. Plenty of Tory voters nodding along when they thought he said colour.

It's called playing to the crowd - straight out the Trump/Bannon playbook

I guess so, but you get the same with labour supporters. Never seen one criticise dianne abbott for the things she has said

Blinkered views on both sides

1 hour ago, ramit said:

Tory candidate Sally-Ann Hart defending her earlier comments that people with learning disabilities should be paid less than the minimum wage, because they don't understand money.

That's not what happened, though, is it.

The article she originally shared was about "Why people with learning difficulties should be allowed to work for less than the minimum wage".

It doesn't say that they should have to work for less than minimum wage. It says they should be able to. i.e. Their choice, if money is not their main incentive for going to work.

I haven't read the full article and have no intention of doing so. It's just my fact checking chip going off again.

Archived