The Politics Thread 2019

Day

5 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Damn paywall - can't read it.

Long story short, Tory minimum wage policy will cost employers around £1bn, Labours will cost employers £14bn.   I read a fairly balanced BBC article on it as well a while back - similar findings.

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

FWIW I also agree that it's probably more realistic to increase it over a set schedule, and that's no doubt what the compromise outcome will be under a Labour-led coalition

So, Tory policy then? ?

'Labour-led coalition'  *shudders*

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

My opinion is worthless, but for the record I thought your sums above were very much on the low side.
The only opinion that counts is the official one

https://www.livingwage.org.uk/calculation

The compounding problem is, for younger people who are more likely to be on the minimum wage, everything costs so much. If you are 25 your car isn't costing you £130 a month. Your mortgage as a first time buyer isn't £500 per month. But the right wing press still maintain it is the avocado generation refusing to save and live within their means. 

And they are the generation who grew up with university grants, cheap council properties and a rave every weekend. 

22 hours ago, GboroRam said:

You are aware that the armistice is marking the end of the war, not perpetuating it? 

You are aware I never mentioned armistice day yesterday you did.

Armistice day is today rememberance day was yesterday do you not know the difference?

I can only assume you got this wrong because you was overexcited at the prospect of a glib reply.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What is the real living wage? Guessing at monthly expenditure I'd say the current minimum wage is about right.
Rent / Mortgage = £500 pm
Council Tax, Power, Water, Internet = £250
Food = £120 pp
Car = £120

'Luxuries' on top of that...
Phone - £10 pp (excluding phone cost)
Presents - £50 pp (£600 for the year)
Clothes/Other - £50 pp (£600 for the year)

Totals based on my very crude estimates...
1 Adult - £1100
1 Adult, 1 Child - £1330
1 Adult, 2 Children - £1560
1 Adult, 3 Children - £1790
2 Adults, 3 Children - £2020

What do you need to earn (per hour) to reach these figures?
1 Adult - £7.30
1 Adult, 1 Child - £9.40
1 Adult, 2 Children - £11.40
1 Adult, 3 Children - £13.50
2 Adults, 3 Children - £15.60 (one parent working)
2 Adults, 3 Children - £6.45 (both parents working)

Maybe people need to learn how to spend their money more efficiently?

Can you have a chat with my missus please.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What is the real living wage? Guessing at monthly expenditure I'd say the current minimum wage is about right.
Rent / Mortgage = £500 pm
Council Tax, Power, Water, Internet = £250
Food = £120 pp
Car = £120

'Luxuries' on top of that...
Phone - £10 pp (excluding phone cost)
Presents - £50 pp (£600 for the year)
Clothes/Other - £50 pp (£600 for the year)

Totals based on my very crude estimates...
1 Adult - £1100
1 Adult, 1 Child - £1330
1 Adult, 2 Children - £1560
1 Adult, 3 Children - £1790
2 Adults, 3 Children - £2020

What do you need to earn (per hour) to reach these figures?
1 Adult - £7.30
1 Adult, 1 Child - £9.40
1 Adult, 2 Children - £11.40
1 Adult, 3 Children - £13.50
2 Adults, 3 Children - £15.60 (one parent working)
2 Adults, 3 Children - £6.45 (both parents working)

Maybe people need to learn how to spend their money more efficiently?

Tax and National Insurance based on £7.30 per hour on a average 37.5 hr week leaves more or less exactly £1100 a month. 

I'd love to know how you could purchase, tax, insure, MOT, maintain and fuel a car for less than £30 a week.

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Go and work at Asda and be forced to sign a new terms of employment contract or face the sack.

Mr Mrs works at Asda in Grantham. 

She has been very ill and diagnosed with a serious illness. They have been great with her. They also pay above minimum wage,  discount, double discount days, share schemes, savings cards etc etc. 

Great place to work. 

The new contracts I know a lot about. Tbf, because she is on short shifts, she is actually better off on it.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Mr Mrs works at Asda in Grantham. 

She has been very ill and diagnosed with a serious illness. They have been great with her. They also pay above minimum wage,  discount, double discount days, share schemes, savings cards etc etc. 

Great place to work. 

The new contracts I know a lot about. Tbf, because she is on short shifts, she is actually better off on it.

Have you asked her if she can get you one of those great and less dangerous jobs. If you're thinking about moving, you need to get cracking. I heard that asda give their workers double discount as a bonus at Christmas and you don't want to miss out on that. But don't plan on doing much over the Christmas holidays, as you'll probably have to work a good part of it.

2 hours ago, cstand said:

Armistice day is today rememberance day was yesterday do you not know the difference?

I can only assume you got this wrong because you was overexcited at the prospect of a glib reply.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/15492752

Picked this from newsround, as John Craven never lied to anyone. 

I recall there was much uproar on here when it was announced the Govt were allowing British Steel to go into administration. Not a word, let alone a good word, that today a deal has been done with Chinese firm Jingye who will invest £1.2bn and protect most of the jobs. Is it the Chinese investment or the good news that is putting people off?

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I recall there was much uproar on here when it was announced the Govt were allowing British Steel to go into administration. Not a word, let alone a good word, that today a deal has been done with Chinese firm Jingye who will invest £1.2bn and protect most of the jobs. Is it the Chinese investment or the good news that is putting people off?

I'm very pleased for the workers. Last thing they needed was laying off just before Christmas (not that the rest of the year makes it better, but you get the point).

21 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Fake news! You must be confused. Definitely read on here the other day that nobody was investing in Britain because of Brexit.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/15492752

Picked this from newsround, as John Craven never lied to anyone. 

I never mentioned armistice you did deliberately to misquote me for your glib reply. 

Try googling the difference between rememberance day and armistice day instead searching the internet for anything that might justify your deliberate alteration of what I had posted.

3 minutes ago, cstand said:

I never mentioned armistice you did deliberately to miss quote me for your glib reply.

Try googling the difference between rememberance day and armistice day instead searching the internet for anything that might justify your mis-quote of me. 

There is no difference between Remembrance Day and Armistice Day - they are different names that cover 11 November.  I think you are getting confused with Remembrance Sunday.

11 minutes ago, cstand said:

I never mentioned armistice you did deliberately to misquote me for your glib reply. 

Try googling the difference between rememberance day and armistice day instead searching the internet for anything that might justify your deliberate alteration of what I had posted.

I did Google it and found several sites saying there is no difference between remembrance Day and armistice Day.

Is this some kind of trick question or are you genuinely confused?

31 minutes ago, cstand said:

I quoted John Craven, who I'm sure we all trust not to lie, don't we? 

4 hours ago, cstand said:

Just quoting this before you edit it ?

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I did Google it and found several sites saying there is no difference between remembrance Day and armistice Day.

Is this some kind of trick question or are you genuinely confused?

Remembrance day on Sunday is when the fallen from all wars are remembered.

Armistice day on Monday is remembering the the fallen from the 1st World War when the Armistice was signed.

3 minutes ago, cstand said:

Remembrance day on Sunday is when the fallen from all wars are remembered.

Armistice day on Monday is remembering the the fallen from the 1st World War when the Armistice was signed.

Hate to tell you but there's a mass populous out there that totally disagree with your interpretation but don't take my word for it...

Archived