The Politics Thread 2019

Day

10 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I think there is a long way to go yet. In the space of a few days we've gone from Farage saying that Boris's deal is the worst ever Brexit imaginable to standing down his candidates to try and ensure a Tory majority. Something in that stinks, but we won't find out what just yet.

I just think that unlike most other politicians he is good at gauging public opinion and what his supporters actually want.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dog said:

Tactical voting

It's getting closer to rubbishagedon.

I'm currently up in the North West where Brexit dominates the election surveys

Many people considering putting a peg on their nose to vote for their Brexit beliefs rather than their political ones

Would/could/should you? Or is it a sign that, no matter who wins the election, politics is broken?

Politics is broken IMO in the UK.

6 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Lets pretend that lack of funding isn't the main problem when it comes to training more nurses.

Lets hire a private consultancy company, pay them tens of thousands of pounds a day. So they can take a year to write a report that come up with the same answer to the problem, as what people already knew.

The goverment can then sit on the report for another year before doing sod all about it. While claiming that they have spent more money, in real terms, then the previous government.

You really need to grow up and stop finding someone to blame. There are a lot of people that need skills and help but not a lot of money to go round. And yes there are some slimy companies sucking on the public purse .. they sit nicely with the morons who demand all sorts of stuff from the NHS but have no concept of what it costs, it’s just there and expected. Missed my appointment, no worries I’ll just book another.

Yes the NHS is a jewel in our crown of civilisation and we must strive to keep it but there are thousands, literally thousands who abuse it or take it for granted. Blaming governments of any stripe for its failings is a cop out and avoids facing personal responsibility and the individual need we all have to respect it and use it properly with care and respect. Every major political party knows we need it and wants to make it work. You’re stupid or biased beyond belief if you think otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

This to me is a major issue. HS2 will have an unprecedented affect on the environment and will also not improve carbon emissions. It will be absolutely no use to people who live in my area as we will still need to drive or take another train to get to Toton.  Who will use it and how often? Any business meetings or interviews can now be done via  skype. Research has shown that many people will still choose to travel by car and plane.

I think we should use the money that HS2 will cost to offer tax incentives for businesses to encourage working from home. Same net cost but the environmental impact. Also may help reduce the London centric nature of business if geography is no longer important. 

@GboroRam .. fine be angry but next time you go to your GP look at the number of missed appointments.

look at the disability aids and prescriptions that get issued like it’s nothing. I know, my mum in law is disabled.

its great and decent that everything is there but the waste is mind boggling.

its easy to respond with valid arguments about greedy big pharma.. I’d agree with you, they are blood suckers but it avoids responding to a huge issue

To deny that we have a responsibility is as childish as it is ignorant. That responsibility is not a footnote or lip service .. it is of the essence if you genuinely want an NHS

it is also total BS to suggest that any major political party wants to sabotage the NHS. Tweaks, different approaches to a universal problem, yes but to suggest anything else puts you at the level of Sun/Mirror/Mail headline grabbing political opportunism 

13 minutes ago, jono said:

it is also total BS to suggest that any major political party wants to sabotage the NHS.

I wouldn't accuse Richard Branson of wanting to sabotage the NHS, but he certainly wants to get his grubby hands on it so that he can charge more and pocket the difference as private profit. He is doing this with the encouragement of the Tories.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I just think that unlike most other politicians he is good at gauging public opinion and what his supporters actually want.

Blimey - he better not start coming on here then telling us what Leave voters want.

Some of us get very upset when people try and tell us why people voted leave

17 minutes ago, jono said:

@GboroRam .. fine be angry but next time you go to your GP look at the number of missed appointments.

look at the disability aids and prescriptions that get issued like it’s nothing. I know, my mum in law is disabled.

its great and decent that everything is there but the waste is mind boggling.

its easy to respond with valid arguments about greedy big pharma.. I’d agree with you, they are blood suckers but it avoids responding to a huge issue

To deny that we have a responsibility is as childish as it is ignorant. That responsibility is not a footnote or lip service .. it is of the essence if you genuinely want an NHS

it is also total BS to suggest that any major political party wants to sabotage the NHS. Tweaks, different approaches to a universal problem, yes but to suggest anything else puts you at the level of Sun/Mirror/Mail headline grabbing political opportunism 

Missed appointments are a waste of resources, but do you think that's the reason why the service is failing? 

Nobody is denying that we need to manage the service and prevent abuses, but the abuses are a pittance in the grand scheme of things. However, the failings are related to chronic underfunding. At a time when average ages are lengthening, we need to be investing at a faster pace than population growth alone. 

I'm fully expecting to see the NHS further crippled in the name of the free market. By which time it'll be too late. Don't underestimate the drive to privatise the NHS - it will be gone one day soon, the way its going. 

15 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Blimey - he better not start coming on here then telling us what Leave voters want.

Some of us get very upset when people try and tell us why people voted leave

There is a difference between connecting with people and assessing what they are thinking via engaging with them, than blindly telling people that you know nothing about what they are thinking.

You knew that though.

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I wouldn't accuse Richard Branson of wanting to sabotage the NHS, but he certainly wants to get his grubby hands on it so that he can charge more and pocket the difference as private profit. He is doing this with the encouragement of the Tories.

Had it ever occurred to you where dividends go ? 

Most dividends I.e. profits .. go to investment funds. The investment funds pay the pensions of very ordinary retirees be they ex employees of Rolls Royce or an ordinary sole tradesmen who contributes to a private pension. 

and for every fat cat privateer there is a fat cat public sector manager with a gold plated final salary state backed pension that we are paying for out of income tax and council tax 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Possibly.

Heard him say today that he has been offered a peerage but doesnt want it.

Time will tell I guess.

Do you remember when he claimed he was nearly broke after dedicating his life to getting us out of the EU. Then it turned out he was been given stacks of money by 'friend of Russia' Arron Banks.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Do you remember when he claimed he was nearly broke after dedicating his life to getting us out of the EU. Then it turned out he was been given stacks of money by 'friend of Russia' Arron Banks.

No.

Had he been given stacks of money or provided with accommodation?

Genuinely dont know the answer to that.

Cant imagine he is short of a few pennies on his MEP salary.

Anyone think the Tories are doing the right thing by not releasing the report into Russian interference?

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/number-10-abused-its-power-demanding-cover-donors-and-friends-boris-report-russian-influence/

Surely all the people who want to leave the EU to reclaim our lost sovereignty will be sick to their stomachs if Russia are helped to influence elections and the referendum? You know, Russia that the Stalinist Corbyn loves so much? 

Rather them than those evil Germans and French, our sworn enemies. We will not surrender to the EU. Farage will don khaki and get his rifle out if we don't leave the EU. We need more war analogies and language please. Just don't say 'crash out' though as that is just plain wrong.

Archived